Hotel-Los Angeles,Long Beach or San Pedro

bobbetty

Hi Trying to decide on hotel location and have the following tranportation questions:

1.Transportation cost from Los Angeles to San Pedro.

2.Transportation cost from Los Angeles to Lomg Beach.

3.Transportation cost from Long Beach to San Pedro.

Thanks for you replies.

ok - I can answer #1

Taxi from LAX to San Pedro was $43 plus tip last month.

I have just been quoted $54.00 from Golden West for San Pedro to LAX in Feb '06 (this is a 'reservation', not a call- a -cab situation)

Hope that helps a little.

I also have been looking into this. We used to live in LA but since we don't anymore and will be taking a cruise next spring out of San Pedro I have checked on prices.

At this time it seems - with no traffic - approx. $45 from LAX to Princess Cruise dock by cab. Plus tip. Approx. $35 to Long Beach Airport.

Hotel choice to me depends on when you are starting the actual cruise. Our cruise departs on Sat. so we are going to stay at a LAX hotel Friday night and take a cab down on Sat. It makes more sense to us as we know the 405 Freeway can be brutal on Fridays and you will be paying to sit in traffic. Chances are less traffic on Sat. San Pedro is not a place I would choose to stay anyway.

I have also checked into limo services. I got a quote of $69 from one for a Town Car, but was told rates may go up. I imagine most are about the same price. I actually looked into renting a car in San Pedro when we return and keeping it for a few days as we will be in the LA area visiting. Enterprise is the only agency with a rental office near the dock and they close at 12 noon on Sat. -- probably not an issue unless ship is late getting in. They charge $40 drop off if you want to return car to LAX tho and their rates were higher then the quote I got from Hertz. I called 3 times and spoke to 3 different agents and was told $40 drop off -- I had read on cruise critic that the charge was $25. I guess it went up.

If anyone else has suggestions on how to get to San Pedro dock area without spending a small fortune please post it :-) I am not interested in Super Shuttle, they tend to take you on side trips while picking up other passengers, etc. Also, they are not that cheap anymore.

BOBBETTY and LMCAT - if either of you are interested in a LAX hotel suggestion, I have a little review on the Hilton Garden Inn Lax on this board. They were most hospitable and the price is great. We have now rebooked it for our next pre-cruise stay in Jan '06. I have also heard that the Doubletree LAX is very good but have not stayed there myself. Jayna K

Jaynak-We (family cruise)are taking the LA to Ensenada cruise (4 day) in December and will be driving down from the central coast on Sunday, leaving on cruise on Monday. I have heard good things about this hotel and am wondering how to get the best rate. Since we're driving, we would like to find a package that allows us to park at the hotel and have a shuttle to and from the port. DId you book directly with the hotel? Wondering how to get the best price, yet make sure we have a pacakge. Priceline seems a bit risky.

Thanks, Kathy

Hi Kathy - I 'm sorry I don't know anything about leaving your car at the hotel as we flew in. We booked on line thru the Hilton site. Just google Hilton Garden Inn LAX and you'll get right there. Seems to me it was $89 we paid which included the very, very hearty Sunday brunch - plus all the shuttle running around they did for us! Jayna K

We just returned from our 2 day precruise stay in Los Angeles and Cruise from San Pedro on the Monarch of the Seas.

We were 4 adults with 6 pieces of luggage and carryons so we rented a minivan at the airport from Enterprise. Called early and got a great rate - $32.00/day. I asked the rep at LAX and he waived the $25.00 drop off charge for us without a problem going to San Pedro.

We stayed at the Doubletree El Segundo - great hotel - comfy beds, pool and hot tub. Found an AARP rate (yes, we qualify for it) of $61.00 late one night online at doubletree.com and booked it. Would stay here again. Warm chocolate chip cookies at checkin and in a quiet location. They have free parking or an airport shuttle if you don't have a car.

Manhatten Beach is right down the road. It was our favorite spot.

driving to the ship, we bypassed the freeway, took our time and drove down the coast to San Pedro - gorgeous drive! - what great scenery going through Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach and Palos Verdes!

In San Pedro, Enterprise is right across the street from the port on N. Harbor Blvd. They will shuttle you to and from the port. We rented a minivan again on our return also since our flight wasn't till the next day. They wouldn't waive the drop off fee going back although we were quoted $40.00 when I booked through the 800 number but they dropped it to $25 and told us it was the price for cruise passengers.

Portsider, just wondering...did you book directly with the hotel? Our situation is different, because we are driving down on Sunday and want to leave our car (cruise is first week of December). The "drive and fly" package is $149+tax (no AARP discount on this one), and room only rate WITH AARP or AAA was $139+tax. Their direct on-line rate was a little lower, but not appreciably.

hi bbqbears,

I booked our hotel on the Doubletree.com website about 6 weeks before our trip. Originally, the price was higher but I kept checking and late one night the rate had dropped for some reason.

December is still pretty far out, it may go down.

If you're going to drive and park your car while you cruise, I'd probably stay at one of the hotels in San Pedro. The Doubletee in El Segundo has a shuttle to the airport, but I'm not sure if they or any other hotel near LAX will shuttle you for free to the port which is a good distance away.

Count me in as a Santa Cruz county neighbor! Born and raised in SC...I live a stone's throw from our backyard to Capitola now. I walk in the Village every morning after dropping my daughter off at NBMS.

So far, I've only cruised to Mexico, but this will be our first time to Alaska. And, one of these days, I'd love to try the Caribbean. (If I can get over my fear of flying. ) :rolleyes:

ShaWilson-Howdy neighbor! Isn't it nice that there are ever more cruises leaving from the west coast. Love to cruise!

Kathy

I've booked the Hilton San Pedro through Priceline twice (in 2003) for $45 each time. It's now called the Marina Hotel, I believe. Not sure if they do Priceline now. But, it was a super-deal. Free shuttle to and from the port and within a 5 mile radius of the hotel. So, that night they shuttled us over to the Acapulco Mexican Restaurant for a late dinner. Oh, and we could park our car there FREE in their secure lot for 10 nights!

Two other times we stayed at the Sheraton for $89--99 and the parking was $5.00 a night (half of the cruise port lot). I chose not to do the package because it was more expensive and included a breakfast buffet and champagne. I figured we'd have enought to eat and drink on the ship! :D I actually liked the location of the Sheraton better and just the hotel in general. But, at the time they didn't honor Priceline. They also had a free shuttle to and from the port. One guy said he would give us a ride to the restaurant, too, if we wanted. But, we walked since it wasn't too far away.

Have fun! :cool:

Jaynak-We (family cruise)are taking the LA to Ensenada cruise (4 day) in December and will be driving down from the central coast on Sunday, leaving on cruise on Monday. I have heard good things about this hotel and am wondering how to get the best rate. Since we're driving, we would like to find a package that allows us to park at the hotel and have a shuttle to and from the port. DId you book directly with the hotel? Wondering how to get the best price, yet make sure we have a pacakge. Priceline seems a bit risky.

Thanks, Kathy

Wow! You guys are much more saavy than I at booking hotels. I will take your advice and keep checking rates. Sailaway-hello neighbor. Be careful about that second cruise...it becomes habit forming!

Sailaway--I misread your post. I see that you've cruised many times, but only to Mexico. I guess what I said still applies though-once you start cruising to other places, you might be hooked. Cruising has become our way of experiencing places in the world we otherwise would never see. I'm sure there are 12 step programs for our malady, but this is one addiction I don't ever want to give up!

Hi BBQBEARS!

I'm not exactly a neighbor as we're from Fresno, CA. But by the looks of your name, we do have something in common. We are bbqer's too and coincidently, we have the same question as you as far as the park & cruise is considered. We're driving down for our cruise to the Mexican Riviera on Sept. 18th. Looking for the same type of deal. I've seen the posts on the Marina Hotel and it sounds good except when I went to their site, they had a park & cruise package, so I don't know if we can get a room off of priceline and park for free or if we actually have to get the package. Guess I should call. I'll let you know, what, if anything, I find out.

P.S. I hope the food is good enough that we won't be missing our bbq. We bbq 2-5 nights a week, year round.

Good luck to you!

Kel

We just returned home from the repo cruise from LA to Vcr in May. We stayed overnight at the Queen Mary before the cruise. The taxi from LAX to the Queen Mary cost $65 and the taxi from the Queen Mary to San Pedro pier was $35. Very expensive these taxis are.

• 3 weeks later...

No problem! ;) Yeah, so far we've only cruised to Mexico. I know Alaska will be a whole new experience. And, one of these days when and if we find ourselves in a position where we have more $$$$$ and time, I would love to travel the world via cruise ship! I agree with you about not wanting to give up this addiction! I can think of a lot worse things to be hooked on! :D Bon voyage to you and yours! We're up to 24 of us on our upcoming Alaskan cruise. Should be a fun group.

Sailaway--I misread your post. I see that you've cruised many times, but only to Mexico. I guess what I said still applies though-once you start cruising to other places, you might be hooked. Cruising has become our way of experiencing places in the world we otherwise would never see. I'm sure there are 12 step programs for our malady, but this is one addiction I don't ever want to give up!

Archived