Ship's Doctor and Insurance

karfest

Sorry I 've been so slow getting back to the boards...I've been on hold with the insurance company;)

This is where I'm at- the Naproxen was not considered a prescription so it is not covered at all, just as any OTC medicine is not covered. So, my claim is for the $50.00 office call. My insurance company will cover 80% ($40.) if I get the proper documentation from NCL. They need the codes that some of the above posters have mentioned.

I talked to two different reps at NCL who were very nice, but had no clue what to do with me. I was referred to 2 different numbers, but they were not able to help me, either.

I called my cruise insurance who told me that they will only cover what is left after my medical insurance pays. I explained that my medical is refusing the claim and was told that my cruise insurance won't cover the total amount.

I think I have decided that I will let them win, I am too busy to fight for $40.00. It annoys me that I am rolling over, but I will save my fighting for the big stuff!!

One thing I did learn, the form they give you on the ship is NOT enough, be prepared to get more info if you plan on filing a claim.

Thanks to all of you for your assistance and advice--I love this board:D

one more thing don't let them win. File a claim-on line with your state's insurance department. The form says office viist the Proceedure code is 99214. simple office visit. Thank goodness its a small amount. Personally I believe we should have a national insurance requirement. About 1/3 the cost of insurance in the US is to cover uncompensated care(no insurance). Cost for a family in many states is more than !000 per month.

Health Insurance is the only insurance where people expect first dollar coverage.

Funny - the form I got from the CL was enough for my medical insurance and it didn't have any diagnostic codes on it just a written diagnosis. Sounds like another excuse to not pay to me. But I understand being too busy to fight. Happy Sailing!

If you want to make a secondary claim under your vacation insurance, make sure you do it ASAP. Insurance policies have deadlines by which you're required to give them notice of the claim. The deadlines are usually 30-60 days after the incident.

Karen ~ FYI: the NCL folks won't be able to give you the ICD codes for your diagnosis. Call your own physician and he/she will provide the codes for you. That should be enough. Please don't give up the fight. I know $40 isn't really a lot of money. But, it is the principle of it all. ;)

Archived