Queen Elizabeth Dents?

Captain Rhone

Looking back through pictures I noticed that the Queen Elizabeth picked up a couple of good sized dents on her portside at some point this past spring. I was wondering if anyone else noticed this and maybe knows when exactly it happened and what the story is behind it...I would like to think maybe some bad weather docking...? Also curious if anyone knows when she will be hitting the drydock and if they might be fixed? There is one on the portside of her hull (on the black part btw) right near the stern and another one midships near the forward most tender (not lifeboat) which can be seen in this picture below: http://photos.marinetraffic.com/ais/showphoto.aspx?photoid=885427&size=full

Hard to tell from that picture but all ship get "dents". The Vistas are lightly built cruise ships and will "dent" easier than, say, QM2. QE2 had some famous "dents" high on her bows from a reported 90+' wave incident. It happens with ships that tend to go to sea.:eek::D

Hard to tell from that picture but all ship get "dents". The Vistas are lightly built cruise ships and will "dent" easier than, say, QM2. QE2 had some famous "dents" high on her bows from a reported 90+' wave incident. It happens with ships that tend to go to sea.:eek::D

We were told last year by the Maitre d' that the one at the stern, port side was a bump when mooring in normal conditions, just after a change of captain. He did tell us where and when, but I can't remember.

As for the comments about dents being easier than with QM2, this is nonsense. Stick a ship into the side of the dock and you will get dings. Although QM2 was built more heavily for the Atlantic run, this did not extend to constructing the hull like a dreadnought or covering it with Chobham armour.

Of course, you can only get damage from monster waves if you are out there in harm's way. Last October, QM2 was reported as having a high old time heading back to New York in a hurricane. Lesser "cruise" ships were safe in port and QE was taking a very northerly route across the Atlantic to dodge the trouble. We had no rough seas at all.

Archived