NCL Spirit 9-Day Canary Islands- Nov 6-15, 2012 - Review and Pictorial

computerworks

Day 6 - Lanzarote

Lanzarote was looking like an ambitious day, compared to prior ports.

Well before we leave for a cruise, I like to study the port of call, find the best sights to visit...grab a map, plot a route and check the timing so we won't find ourselves waving to the ship as it pulls away without us at the end of the day.

I make notes and create a day plan for us to follow. This morning, I took out the notes for Lazarote and read the mission I had planned...my gut felt we were overreaching.

My notes:

From Arrecife, West towards Macher and Uga, stop in Puerto del Carmen and head to the lava fields

Stop at Islote de Hilario, the big crater and continue to Timanfaya National Park

Explore the "base camp", look at the camels and do not climb the mountain :-)

Visit the restaurant El Diablo, located at the top of the hill in the Park

Leave and head North to Mancha Blanca

Down to wine country in La Geria and the El Grifo Wine Museum

Then, all the way Northeast to the Mirador del Río overlook

Head South thru Punta Mujeres, Mala and Guatiza, stopping at Jameos del Agua

Then back to Arrecife

147km, about 3 hours drive time.

Well, it turned out to be absolutely doable at an easy pace. The island is not nearly as large as it seems, and, apart from Arricife, it is sparsely populated with a very good road system.

We had our car waiting at CIcar, another Fiat 500. Their office couldn't be more convenient, located at the end of the pier with a few other agencies in a small building.

8204477792_9a10c1ec34_b.jpg

Heading out West on the well marked highway, our ol' buddy rainbow met us at the exit to Puerto del Carmen...another sign of a good day ahead.

8204477708_f2275ea9e7_b.jpg

This is a seaside resort community catering to Western European tourists...a hotel zone and a seaside boulevard loaded with cafes, night clubs and shops.

8204479140_85326a9cd2_b.jpg

8203387785_69ce559752_b.jpg

8204479190_61453035d3_b.jpg

We stopped at a cafe for expresso and croissants as the sleepy town began to wake up.

Back out on the highway, we headed towards Uga and turned North for the Timanfaya National Park.

8203387717_5bd9acc274_b.jpg

More than 50 square miles in size, it was formed by continuous volcanic activity from 1730 through 1736.

Lava flows for as far as you can see.

We passed the camp where you can ride a camel.. it was not on our bucket list, for sure. A few more miles and we came to the park entrance.

8203387603_5798b0e4e7_b.jpg

8203387677_eb61e17891_b.jpg

I will say that parts of this area seem out of this world...the moon? ...Mars?

Once in the park, your admission entitles you to a tour bus thru the area, which is the only way to really see it up close.

The ride is just short of an hour...you can't get out...but the driver stops for photo ops at many places.

This is as far as you can go on your own

8203387535_50773b4e56_b.jpg

8203387497_d871d089bd_b.jpg

8203387463_9f23615a25_b.jpg

8203387423_ed76f0d4ea_b.jpg

Back near the main crater and the Visitors Center is a restaurant that cooks with the heat emitting from the still-active core below the surface.

Amazingly, here they are preparing lunch over a "well" that has sufficient heat to roast chicken and kabobs. There is no fire in there, just a hole in the ground.

8203387369_9560537cc2_b.jpg

To prove the point, guides will shove a piece of brush into a nearby hole and, after a few feet, it bursts into flames.

8203387299_b22dba1c77_b.jpg

8203387253_2f496bcb95_b.jpg

After a great tour (again, included with admission to the Park), we left for a drive to the wine country in the center of the island. We drove through La Geria and stopped for lunch at the El Grifo Wine Museum.

8203387043_18c2f4ddc4_b.jpg

8203387175_1edbaa06d3_b.jpg

8203387111_614c913af0_b.jpg

After some snacks and some wine tasting, it was back on the road for the drive all the way to the Northeastern tip of the island, for a real visual treat, the Mirador del Rio.

As mentioned earlier, the nice part of driving on Lanzarote is that you can almost see where you are going from anywhere on the route.

8203387011_85d3f8b1f2_b.jpg

The Mirador del Río is an overlook situated on a 1500 foot cliff called Batería del Río.

The structure was created in 1974 by the local artist César Manrique, consisting of a cafe, a souvenir shop and a viewing platform as part of the lava rock.

From the Mirador, you can see the island of La Graciosa.

8203386763_59a7f49353_b.jpg

8204477544_ddb0425516_b.jpg

8204478262_916d3e9133_b.jpg

8204478230_45dc3ac99a_b.jpg

8204478196_67c370c796_b.jpg

Inside, a cafe gives you a great view...

8203386811_3ce737ee1a_b.jpg

A quick drive down the East coast and a narrow little road all the way to the shore brings us to Jameos del Agua

8203386715_af3543852f_b.jpg

This outrageous center is developed around natural caves and tunnels, with galleries of connecting caves and underground grottoes that contain a restaurant, bars, a concert hall and many other interesting pools and areas, at the foot of the volcano Monte de la Corona.

The Jameos del Agua was developed for viewing by the same fellow who did del Rio, César Manrique.

8204477956_ffdc7db89f_b.jpg

The little white specks on the floor of the pool are a colony of blind albino crabs.

8204477904_cfb7c50384_b.jpg

8204477838_d8a9217f06_b.jpg

From here, an easy drive through Mala and Guatiza... the aloe area.. and back to Arrecife and the Spirit.

Tonight, a restful dinner in the Garden Room, the inside MDR and some time at the White Hot Party in the Galaxy of the stars.

8204477750_70dfbb42e2_b.jpg

8204477496_88a2fdc5c8_b.jpg

We've turned the corner on this itinerary...now it's heading back.

A sea day tomorrow and then... Malaga and the Costa del Sol.

We are leaving on the same cruise Jan 8 2013, can't wait especially now that I have seen your pics. We do 5 days in Lisbon and 6 days in Barcelona prior to the cruise, made our own arrangements.

Just got back from a trip to Italy where we also went to a soccer game AC Milan vs Fiorentino, and it was a fantastic experience and totally different from going to a North American game.

Thanks so much for taking the time to do all the postings, I am getting butterflies now!

Day 7 - Sea Day

After three full days of sightseeing, a sea day was very welcome. Coffee at sun up in the Aft terrace area is a good way to start the day.

8204482804_3deb07a2f6_b.jpg

This would be a down-time day of just relaxing. If you want a great quiet area to sit and read and enjoy a drink, the alcoves on Deck 8's mezzanine provide a wonderful little place just for that.

8204482748_3c3ab4335b_b.jpg

There was a little chill in the air and some wind and rain caused the outside areas to be shut down in the afternoon.

8204482710_c545559ca0_b.jpg

An easy day to recharge and have a nice dinner at Cagney's

8203391379_a4c78215af_b.jpg

I always take pics of the photographers and tell them that the prints will be on display outside my cabin.

8203391339_a8b098d8f1_b.jpg

I was hoping that we would get a glimpse of Gibraltar as we passed in either direction on this trip, but unfortunately the passage was late at night, in both directions.

8203391543_9ce0df64a7_b.jpg

Tomorrow, we stop in Malaga. We have been there before and had visited Grenada and the Alhambra... a must-see if you like history...that is a full-day excursion and well worth it.

For us, the plan was to head west along the Costa del Sol and visit Marbella and the seaside resorts.

You really out did yourself again. The pictures and review are a real joy. You do such an amazing job that maybe we should bring you on our next cruise. You can take the pictures and do the review for us ;)

Sounds good to me, David. :p ...could be a part-time job.

I was going to say "...and I don't eat much," but that's not entirely true.

Thanks...one more port to go (Malaga) and then some commentary.

Curious. The Spirit sure looks like a beautiful ship. You stated that it is your favorite ship. Why is the Spirit your favorite ship?

THANKS

Always a question asked.

I tried to answer in pictures here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1740735

This is our third cruise on the Spirit since 2006.

They have always had an outstanding team running the show and a top-notch crew.

The design of the ship is more classic than the modern ships, and has a warmth and feeling of comfort wherever you go.

The size is just about right for us; even sailing under 100% full conditions, you never feel crowded or impersonal.

It's just ....a very, very nice experience. :o

Utterly fantastic review. Thanks so much!!!

I agree completely.

Computerworks, I so look forward to your reviews, because between the amazing photos, and the informative commentary, I almost feel as though I'm travelling along with you. Thanks so much for taking us along on another fantastic voyage.

• 1 month later...
Your review is great - I'm getting very excited and getting brave enough to rent a car for the first time while on a cruise because of it. Is there any chance you can write about Malaga?

Thank you!

Thank you... I noticed this week that we petered out and did not finish our trip report...leaving off the last port of Malaga. :(

I definitely will put that segment up within a few days.

Personally, I enjoy the freedom of driving when it fits the destination.

As I mentioned in the text...both Canary stops were a breeze to rent the car and delightful for driving.... well kept roads with clear and frequent signage.

Thank you... I noticed this week that we petered out and did not finish our trip report...leaving off the last port of Malaga. :(

I definitely will put that segment up within a few days.

Personally, I enjoy the freedom of driving when it fits the destination.

As I mentioned in the text...both Canary stops were a breeze to rent the car and delightful for driving.... well kept roads with clear and frequent signage.

I took your advice on the driving and have my hire cars booked with the companies you used since you were happy with them. Not sure where we are going yet, still planning.

Looking forward to you finishing things off.

It was a fantastic review.