Haleakala Crater question

CleoV

My husband and I will arrive at Laihaina cruise port 1/25/13. Wonder about the length of time it takes to visit the Park to the summit by car. We'll probably have about 8 hrs with enough time to board back on ship. Is it better to take a tour? Please advice!

Checking my very useful 'Maui Revealed' guidebook it takes about 2 hours from Lahaina without any traffic delays. Generally by midday clouds cover the crater so your view could be obscured. The temperature at the summit will be about 20° cooler than at sea level so it will be cool. There's also a fee to enter the national park & there could be ice & even snow at the summit so you may want to call to check conditions before making a final decision on going there.

Using a rental car is probably the best option & Upcountry in the Kula area is nice. Also there's the Tedeschi Maui Winery in Ulapalakua for wine tasting & occasional winery tours.

Be prepared for cool and cloudy, but frankly when we went it was warm and bright, and stayed that way until about 3pm.

I would factor another 2 hours into your drive, just getting up the mountain. We stopped several times for pictures as we went up, and it took nearly 2 hours. A bit quicker on the way down though.

This is one place I wouldn't suggest doing a tour, unless you're happy with a brief overview of the location rather than spending any real time up there. 20 minutes is not enough time at the crater, IMO.

Thanks for the response. We will be renting a car in JHM airport Alamo rental company. I suppose the destination will be Haleakala National Park. Maybe the rental company will provide us with driving directions/ confirmations. Any further input will be welcome!

Thanks for the response. We will be renting a car in JHM airport Alamo rental company. I suppose the destination will be Haleakala National Park. Maybe the rental company will provide us with driving directions/ confirmations. Any further input will be welcome!

Maui rental agencies have a brochure with maps & it's very easy to drive around Maui. If I counted correctly after you leave in your rental car it's a left turn to go south on Honoapi'ilani Hwy (30) then 3 right turns onto Kuihelani Hwy (380) which becomes Dairy Road, Hana Hwy (36) & Haleakala Hwy (37). In Pukalani turn left on 377 then left on 378 to the summit & you'll also see signs directing you from Pukalani.

It's really easy & enjoy the turnouts as you switchback up to the top. There are a couple of short roads to get nice views along the way.

You might want to consider getting the great guidebook "Maui Revealed" (about $13 from Amazon) which is full of great ideas. Time will be a consideration but even if you're only going to Haleakala it may be worthwhile to have with you.

I've been fortunate to spend a lot of time on Maui & if you have questions on the Valley Isle myself or others who enjoy Maui may be able to help you. Maui & cruising are my favorite ways to travel. :D

Archived