When is NCLB/STAR testing in California?

a1plumbing

Does anybody know when the 2005/2006 (next school year) NCLB/STAR testing is in California or, more specifically, the Bay area? I'm not sure if it's the same statewide or if it varies around the state. Does anybody know?

My husband and I are trying to plan a cruise for us and our three children. We really would like to plan the cruise to coincide with the testing since we always opt our children out anyway. This way they will miss less actual school work.

Does anybody know when the testing will be? I know it was in May for our schools this year, but I'm not sure if it's the same every year or even if it varies by district.

Thanks!

It is up to your school district what week you do it, but I do know there is a window of opportunity for each district to administer it. I know what a pain in the b _ _ _ it is to plan around that stupid test! If I didn't know what a pain it would be to make up, I'd tell you to just book the trip and let the school worry about it! But it is a pain and you are thinking wisely to figure out when it is and go the week after they give it because quite honestly, the learnin' is DONE when the test is DONE!

Thanks for the reply. Actually I was planning on booking the trip for the week before or the week of the test. I don't allow my children to take the test anyway so they would be the two optimal weeks for us since they wouldn't have to miss any real schoolwork (the week before is just spent drilling for the test).

I know it was in May this year and I have a friend who thinks it was in May last year too. So it looks like May might be right month to plan. I'll just book a week in May and hope I hit the right time.

Thanks!

It seems the star testing is done the first two weeks of the year. I was about to suggest you ask your school about next year, but if they know you as the parents who try to avoid the testing, they may not want to give you the info. Maybe you can ask another mom to go in and ask -- she can say they have a family wedding to go to next May and want to make sure there won't be a conflict.;)

Thanks! I do plan on calling the school on Tuesday, although I dread doing so because I have had problems with them over this issue in the past. They definitely do not like when parents exclude their children from the test, even though in California every parent has the legal right to do so. It is really not of any benefit to them to withhold this information from me since they already know that my children will not be testing, but I'm afraid they will do so out of spite and I'd really rather not deal with them if I can get the answer here.

Having a friend call was a great idea. Maybe I'll try that. Or maybe I can just do it myself over the phone without saying who I am.

Archived