Excursions - how far in advance to book?

cms204

I am booked on a cruise for August 2013, but I am still waiting on the rest of my party. Assuming they drag their feet about booking the cruise, how long can I wait until I book things like whale watching or hiking trips, knowing that I would prefer to be in smaller groups?

Thank you

i am definetely not an extpert but i can tell you the more popular tours do book early. for example, i love capt. larry in juneau for my whale watching. we already have him booked for sept of next yr. i wanted too make sure he was the capt of our boat too be on. he has 4 boats now. i never hesitate too book my tours from the locals in the alaska ports. are you going too try and do all your tours together as a whole group or go seperate ways and do your own things in port. if alone, i would see what you wanted too do and start making arrangements as too what is the most important for you too do now. i am waiting untill i get off the ship in ketchikan because i never know what the weather is going too be like there. do some surfing on the net for the ports you will be going too, see what there is too do and start making choices as too what would be fun. dont be surprised if you dont get any reply's via email for a few days. in the winter months most of the tour co's check into their offices a couple times a week. that way you know what your budget is going too be and how much to start saving for the trip. 3 of us are going ( bunked up in 1 cabin ) but we are going too split into a group sometimes or go single in the ports too give us some much needed breathing room alone at certain times. have fun with your plans. it is going too be a great vacation and cruise for you. :)

I recommend people book their tours when their ENTIRE plans are decided. I would book what my plans need, and tell the others to book when they are ready.

Do you have a particular favorite of tour companies? I have been looking at Viator and they seem to have a lot of different options in each of the ports.

We are leaving/returning to Seattle in August and I'm just starting to investigate our excursion options.

I'm on Coral Princess next August and I've already booked my excursions. Now for me, I've booked mine through the cruise line. When I went again and thought I might want to change, there wasn't any availability. Budget Queen is your best resource for outside the cruise line excursions, but I would book as soon as you know. Keep in mind that most independent excursions make you pay in advance. Through the cruise line, at least with Princess, you don't have to pay right way. It goes on your shipboard account.

Keep us posted on what you decide.

I more or less know what I want to do in each port, and the only one I am really concerned about booking up is an independent whale watch in Icy Straight. That said, I would rather end up on a large excursion with my group, than on a "better" small boat where I would book now and when they go to book it is full.

In Juneau I want to rent a car and hit a few spots including Mendenhall, so I'm not worried there. In Ketchikan I want to do the snorkeling, but only if I can convince someone else in my group to go with me. Otherwise it will be a wing-it kind of day depending on the weather.

I'm on Coral Princess next August and I've already booked my excursions. Now for me, I've booked mine through the cruise line. When I went again and thought I might want to change, there wasn't any availability. Budget Queen is your best resource for outside the cruise line excursions, but I would book as soon as you know. Keep in mind that most independent excursions make you pay in advance. Through the cruise line, at least with Princess, you don't have to pay right way. It goes on your shipboard account.

Keep us posted on what you decide.

Carnival has you pay as you book excursions.

I more or less know what I want to do in each port, and the only one I am really concerned about booking up is an independent whale watch in Icy Straight. That said, I would rather end up on a large excursion with my group, than on a "better" small boat where I would book now and when they go to book it is full.

In Juneau I want to rent a car and hit a few spots including Mendenhall, so I'm not worried there. In Ketchikan I want to do the snorkeling, but only if I can convince someone else in my group to go with me. Otherwise it will be a wing-it kind of day depending on the weather.

Book your Hoonah whale watch then, since that is "firm" with you. Why are you "waiting" for these other people? Get that car rental confirmed, they have a limited fleet, that now is popular with cruisers. They do sell out at the AJ dock. More cars are available at the ariport, but you'll be paying at least a $50 cab fare, or eat up time waiting for the airport bus.

Do you have a particular favorite of tour companies? I have been looking at Viator and they seem to have a lot of different options in each of the ports.

We are leaving/returning to Seattle in August and I'm just starting to investigate our excursion options.

Yes, I certainly have my favorites. But, these are not booking agents, or tour operators, which looks like what you are referring to??

In Alaska you NEED to select the tour, THEN find a vendor that you want, which can be based on a ship tour, or independent recommendations. This isn't an area where you just get off the boat and look to jump on a bus, or in a cab. The tours are specific with the vendors specializing in that particular tour venue. There can be variations to select from.

Overall, take a look at a shore excursion list and really narrow down your interests. Then further look at reports on those particular tours, and finally make your selections. It's a weeding "down" and out process that you have to go through.

Archived