Taxi vs. rental questions

Cafabi

We have unexpectedly found ourselves on a cruise this month with a stop in Aruba. I have researched extensively and would like more flexibility than I would have on an organized tour.

I am debating whether to rent a vehicle or take a private taxi tour. I want to avoid the hassle of renting if possible, but I contacted three of the taxis mentioned on this board with no response. We will be there on Boxing Day, so I am sure they were booked a long time ago, but I asked for referrals if they were busy.

Will I have trouble finding a taxi at the pier to take me for brief photo stops to the following places?

Ling and Sons

aloe "factory"

Eagle, Palm beaches

Dutch windmill

California lighthouse

Alto Vista Chapel

gold mill ruins

Baby natural bridge

Ayo & Casibiri rock formations

donkey sanctuary

if time permits:

caves at Arikok NP

drive past refinery in San Nicolas

The rental company tells me that I need a 4x4, but I thought that Natural Pool and some parts of the national park were the only places where that was required. Do any of the above require 4WD or can a taxi go to all? Thanks in advance.

What you wish to see is doable with a rental car. A 4 x 4 is not necessary and you are correct a 4 wd is only necessary is you wish to see the Natural Pool.

You did not say who you contacted or when, but did you contact Hubert Kingsale huberttaxi83@hotmail.com ? Assuming you contacted Bully, please make sure you check your spam folder, the reply will be from Amador Lacle. It is not like him not to respond.

All in all, when you are coming off a cruise ship, especially for a first time visitor to Aruba, imo a guided taxi tour is much easier.

Thanks for your reply!

I contacted Bully, Ivan, and Hubert 2 days ago, and I have been checking my spam folder hourly LOL. I just heard back from Ivan. He tells me that Ling and Sons will be closed :( Will everything on the island be closed? We are mainly interested in historical type things anyway.

Drive by attractions or those open freely to the public:

Eagle, Palm beaches

Dutch windmill- exterior only (interior is never open)

California lighthouse- exterior only (interior is never open)

Alto Vista Chapel

gold mill ruins

Baby natural bridge

Ayo & Casibiri rock formations

donkey sanctuary- more than likely will be closed, you can check with them at www.facebook.com/donkey.sanctuary.aruba

Archived