Just off Regal Alaska 5/18 Sailing

Ethel5

Part One

Landed in SFO the day before and stayed at the Tuscan Inn 2 blocks from Fisherman's Wharf. It was cold and rainy! We were 2 adults and a 10yo boy and took a taxi from the airport to the hotel. Cost was 42.00 plus $10.00 tip. The Hotel was nice and the desk staff friendly but the bellman was surly - evidently I didn't give him what he thought was an adequate tip-I didn't count a camera bag and a kid's DVD player as luggage but he did-so he kept stating loudly that we had 7 bags and I tipped $5.00. Because I didn't want him to pee in my luggage, I gave him the extra $2.00 for him to take it 10 feet from the cab to lobby. There was no room in the storage area so they left in the lobby on a bellman's rack. I wasn't too crazy about this but we had no choice. We went exploring the Wharf area and had a great time. We ate dinner at Pompeii's Grotto and the food was delicious and reasonably priced. We had a great server named Judy and she filled us in on the ins and outs of getting around the city. She got > 20% for a tip. We were tired from getting up at 3:30am Florida time so we returned to the hotel and found that our luggage had been moved to another cart and one of the handles was broken but nothing was missing. We paid another $7 tip to have them bring the luggage to the room. The room was small but cozy and was done in black and white with deep red accents. The beds were very comfortable. We noticed as we were checking in that they had a wine receptin in the lobby with various types of Glen Allen wines served.

The next day we arose early and made coffee in the room as we prepared for the trip to the pier. It was cold and rainy. We paid another $7 to have the luggage taken from the room to the curb where we caught a taxi to the pier. The fare was 10.00 plus tip. It started pouring and the doors opened early to get people out of the rain. We easily found a porter (10.00 tip) and were checked in in no time at all. The reason that I'm carrying on about the tips is not that I don't want to tip but because they DEMAND a certain amount-I never heard of this money grubbing before.

Our cabin was C226 a triple with a large window. Comfortable with lots of storage space. BTW-the luggage does not fit under the beds as with other ships in the fleet. We took off for the Cafe Del Sol and ate lunch. The other luggage wasn't delivered yet so we explored the ship and unpacked what we carried on. In the meantime, my daughter, her hubby and the 2.95 year old were to be on the ship with us and haven't arrived yet-it's now nearly 3 PM and things arent looking good. I'll write about that in another thread called Princess Praise! After many tearful phone calls it was determined that they wouldn't make it. Still no luggage.

Went to the required life boat drill which lasted about 15 minutes. We took off at 4:15 under rainy windy and COLD weather. Going under the Golden Gate Bridge was a kick in the pants!!! Took lots of pictures even in the grayness. Awesome thrill. Back to the room and still no luggage. We have traditional early seating and (I'm sorry BDJAM) we went to dinner in JEANS! I was not comfortable in jeans and I don't care what anybody says-jeans don't belong in the dining room. We went because it was the 1st night and it wasn't our fault if the luggage was not delivered and I wanted to meet our wait staff etc. Because my DD and family was supposed to be with us, we were at a table for 6. During dinner I got a cell phone call from the DD telling me they would meet the ship in Ketchikan, our 1st port. In the mean time, Bruno the Maitre'd asked us to do him a favor and move to a window table to accommodate a group that wanted to sit near each other-no problem! I told him that the DD was going to Ketchikan and he said he would not put anyone else at our table.

After dinner we went to the Kid's Club to register the 10 year old and he quickly found a boy just a few cabins down from us to hang out with. They spent a lot of time in the kids' club and did crafts etc each day plus they had "lectures" about Alaska. All in all a good program.

At last luggage!!!!!! We got back to the cabin about 9PM and bags were in the cabin. Did unpacking and turned in early.

More, more. I need all the details. We are on the 7/7 sailing IN THE EXACT SAME ROOM, DH and 17y/o son! I can hardly wait. Reading your review will make me even more excited.

Did you go up the inland passage, or on the outside of the island?

Any must do tips for us? We are traveling with another family of 5, as well.

Sorry your DD and family didn't make it on in SF.

Archived