Cheers program.. buy right away or wait a day?

ksavitz1

It's my understanding that you have to buy it on embarkation day or the second day.

Personally, I'd like to buy it on day 2 and pay for 6 days on a 7 day cruise (rather than buying on embarkation day and paying for 7 days) since I'm usually tired on embarkation day and won't drink much, but I believe it doesn't work that way. I think if you buy it on the second day, you still pay for the entire cruise. - I'm sure someone can confirm this.

It's my understanding that you have to buy it on embarkation day or the second day.

Personally, I'd like to buy it on day 2 and pay for 6 days on a 7 day cruise (rather than buying on embarkation day and paying for 7 days) since I'm usually tired on embarkation day and won't drink much, but I believe it doesn't work that way. I think if you buy it on the second day, you still pay for the entire cruise. - I'm sure someone can confirm this.

That's not accurate. If you wait until day 2 (the last day it is offerred) then you only pay for 6 days, plus gratuities.

The advantage to waiting until day 2 is as you stated, it might be hard to justify the expense when the 1st day is so short.

Also, if you do buy it on the 1st day you should at least wait until you are in international waters so you aren't paying any state sales tax.

Edit to Add: That same logic applies to the soda card too. At least wait until you don't have to pay any tax on it.

You don't pay tax on the drink card (well at least I didn't when I got it in Sep) but you do pay the local tax on each drink until in int'l waters.

It depends on if you think you will drink a lot on your first night. Some people get on, have a couple drinks of the day, then check out the different bars. I got mine right away, because I wanted to take full advantage of it.

That's not accurate. If you wait until day 2 (the last day it is offerred) then you only pay for 6 days, plus gratuities.

The advantage to waiting until day 2 is as you stated, it might be hard to justify the expense when the 1st day is so short.

Also, if you do buy it on the 1st day you should at least wait until you are in international waters so you aren't paying any state sales tax.

Edit to Add: That same logic applies to the soda card too. At least wait until you don't have to pay any tax on it.

Thanks. I hadn't seen any confirmation of this - I even tried to contact Carnival, but didn't hear back (aside from an automated email). With 3 sea days, I might look into this for our next cruise.

We will purchase right away....most people are on the ship by 2 or 3 at the latest I would think so for us would be pretty easy to say I would probably have 4-6 drinks on my first day of vacation. So depending on the price of what your drinking could easily get to $40 or more that first day but to each their own. Its your soda card as well so even if you think you may only have a few drinks you may also drink soda's as well that first day.

Archived