mendenhall glacier question

mikebob

hi, everyone 2nd time posting. Since we are only in port from 1:00pm to 11:00pm we have decided not to rent a car in juneau. How can we get to the glacier and aviod a cruiseline tour excursions if possible? Costs & time frame? would we also, be able to do the hike from the mount roberts tramway? please, direct me on the best choice for a 1st time visitor to alaska. we are also hoping for a quick drink in the red dog saloon. we will be on celebrity mercury 6/3. thanks for any info you may have.

Oh, and if you can add any info about the shrine of st theresa?:confused: and if we can add it to the mix.

mike

For 10 bucks you can grab a shuttle to Mendenhall visitor's center from the pier. Mt. Roberts is $23.95 and you can hike for a while. Mt. Roberts' last run is 9pm. I don't remember how late the glacier shuttle runs.

We went to Alaska last year and stopped at Juneau where we chose to go to Mendenhall Glacier. Upon exiting the ship you will find tons of buses with tour guides selling one thing or another, several selling a trip by bus to Mendenhall. They all cost 10 dollars pp. We hopped the bus, rode up to the glacier which was about a 15 minute bus ride. They give you a little narration on the way up. Once there, you can stay as little or as long as you like. Most people spend about an hour looking at the glacier and walking around, stopping to read information signs, taking photos, etc. I think the buses ran every 1/2 hour or so. We enjoyed our trip up there, and who can beat 10 bucks for an excursion price?? You are able to go up into the Visitors Center for a price ($4 I think) and it offers a higher view, and more information about the glacier for those so inclined to learn all they can. We did not, as we were satisfied with walking around. So, I think you could go up there and look around and back to the dock in about 2-21/2 hours. If you do it first thing after leaving the ship, this leaves you plenty of time to shop, see the town, go up the mountain tram or whatever you'd like.

Just as a side note - our cruise itinerary was to see the Hubbard Glacier, and we did not get a good view that day due to fog, so we were VERY glad we got to see Mendenhall. I would've been dissappointed to have not seen at least one glacier in good weather (not fogged in) during our trip.

Enjoy!

:D

As mentioned there is a $10 pp round trip shuttle to Mendenhall that you just purchase from the dock venders. You do need to allow at least an hour for the transportation back and forth. At Mendenhall if you wish to go in the visitor center it's an additional $3 pp. If Mt. Robert's is NOT viewable at the top, skip it. But the tram ticket is good all day if you wish to return. the Red Dog is right downtown, easily walkable from most ships.

the last shuttle bus from mendanhall glacier ( according to capt.larry ) is 7 pm. my sister and her husband used the tram to get to the hiking trails up there. they had a great time spending about 3 hrs walking around and seeing things. just keep track of where you go so you can find your way back. have a great time.

Since no one has covered St. Therese, I will. You'll have to rent a car or take a very expensive taxi ride there. Even renting bikes would be a bit too much unless you planned to take all day. It's kind of neat, but you'll have to decide if it's worth the expense. You can view http://www.shrineofsainttherese.org/ to help you decide.

We leave on 7/2 on the Diamond. We are renting a car in Juneau and are planning on going to Mendenhall and perhaps the Glacier Gardens. For three of us having the car all day will only be $12 more then taking the bus and relying on them to get us back. We'll be there on the 4th of July and were told that the streets will be closed (for traffic) until at least 12:30 since their parade won't end until noon or a bit later.

We leave on 7/2 on the Diamond. We are renting a car in Juneau and are planning on going to Mendenhall and perhaps the Glacier Gardens. For three of us having the car all day will only be $12 more then taking the bus and relying on them to get us back. We'll be there on the 4th of July and were told that the streets will be closed (for traffic) until at least 12:30 since their parade won't end until noon or a bit later.

The problem with car rentals in Juneau is the time involved in pick up and return since most are at the airport. Rent A Wreck is the best option as they usually will allow a downtown drop off take advantage of it since their office closes at 6pm. Any other company- be certain to inquire if they shuttle most do NOT.

We took the tram up when they opened at 9:00. Hiked the extended trail to the top so this took several hours, but made the tram cost worthwhile for us. Went back to the ship for a late lunch then caught the $5 bus to Mendehall about 3:00. We viewed from the platform then walked a trail right up to the huge waterfall beside the glacier. Took the LAST $5 bus back to town at 5:00. Maybe the bus hours get extended later in the year but last week, the last bus left Mendenhall at 5:00. We were the only ones on the bus so our driver dropped us off right at the Red Dog Saloon at our request.

We were there 2 weeks ago and the last MGT bus left the visitor center at 6:00 pm. The east trail is about a 3.5 mile loop (moderate climb) and has great views. I'd highly recommend it if you are looking for a hike that day.

Archived