FYI: United 3 seats for 2 people

cruiserdru

Just booked 3 seats for 2 on United RT IAD/LAX for our Hawaii cruise next October. I did this as an award booking and it required entry of 3 traveler names. I requested a call using the little help box on the screen and asked the rep how to handle this third traveler entry.

She directed me to fill in our last name and in the first name slot to enter EXTA (Yeah, I know, not quite the word extra) and it would pick up the first traveler's name for the third ticket and let them know it was not an error. Also, there was a place to enter the form of ID for the third traveler and she said to be sure to enter the same thing as I entered for the first traveler.

Must have worked because I now have 3 etickets in hand for the selected 3 seats in a row.

Many, many thanks to the people who have posted so much info about doing this. It had never occurred to me to buy 3 economy seats and I simply did not have enough miles or money to fly First or Business and knew how uncomfortable the flights could be. Now, we should be very happy campers. :D

When I had to travel on business with a badly injured leg, I booked EXTA seat which worked out well.

It was more comfortable for me than a business class seat in situations where the arm rests were not moveable.

I was issued 2 boarding passes and put the EXTA pass on the seat next to me.

This is a very reasonable and logical thing to do.

Archived