Gluten free at buffet

Does anyone have a list of gluten free items at the buffet other than the obvious salad, fruit, cheeses? When it was just me gf I was fine with just fruits and veggies when the dining room was closed but my 9 year old DD was recently diagnosed and I am hoping there are more options. I plan to bring some buns and is it safe to assume the hot dogs/hamburgers are gf? I also plan to bring some cereal for quick breakfasts. Any other tips are most appreciated. I don't want the whole trip to be focused on our dietary limitations. We will be on the Pride if things vary from ship to ship.

I believe the burgers and hot dogs are ok. If you talk to the maitre'd upon boarding, he will make sure you get the gluten free menu each night at your table (for the next day) and can also arrange for you to be taken through the buffet to have the gluten free items pointed out for you. I think, if I'm not mixing my lines up, that there was even some pasta available in the MDR that was gluten free and I do remember gluten free pancakes, breads, etc. (My mom is gf - and my 11yo also is now looking to be gluten sensitive, so we are just starting this path ourselves).

My computer got stuck. Hope it went back to the right page. YOu can send a form in before your cruise. They will help you everynite. They also make gluten free pizza which is pretty good. YOu have to tell them 1 day ahead. That is the main dining room. At the buffet, you can have a omelette made for you . Other than that, I don't eat at the buffet anymore. People put spoons from one item to another. Food contamination is not good. I have been on 5 cruise gluten free. YOu can order the day ahead for the dining room for special waffles or gf pancakes. Not sure on your ship but the Cucina capitano has great gf food. I ate there this past feb on Magic. It is one of the Specialty places. I learn more each ship. He can also have chocolate melting cake made gluten free too. I like creme brulle which I didnt think I would . Great. They have a cheesecake made gf. It is very good. Hope this helps some. Just dont like their gf bread. EECCH!!! even tried jelly on it. They need to improve on that. Other than that, they are great with gf...

Be aware that you CANNOT eat the egg mixture they use for their scrambled eggs OR their omelettes. At the omelette station however, you can get them to prepare you fresh eggs. (the mixture they use for the omelettes and the scrambled eggs comes out of a carton and I can 100% confirm it has gluten in it)

As another poster said, their gluten free bread is nasty awful - horrible aftertaste.

The main dining room is great - the special dietary needs people will help you immensely.

My wife and I cruised Elation back in November 2012, and with us were my sister Linda and my wife's sister and her hubby. My sister has celiac disease and eats a 95% gluten free diet. We called Carnival and told them about Linda's diet needs on 2 different occasions before we cruised, and also emailed them.

I expected that she'd get - at best - maybe a list of food items that were OK for her in the MDR and on the buffet.

We were amazed when at dinner on the first night a nice lady introduced herself as Linda's dietician for the cruise and spent 20 minutes discussing what foods Linda liked and disliked. [i'm pretty sure she was like an assistant maitre d.] She then presented Linda with the menu for the next days MDR breakfast and dinner and Linda ordered what she wanted based on the woman's suggestions. Linda received this special attention each night at dinner. They even made her a gluten free version of the warm chocolate melting cake each night that we all tried and loved !

Linda was very impressed with this service, as were all of us. I think Linda ending up tipping her like $75 and it was worth every penny.

Thanks. I have cruised once gluten free and I agree with everyone above that the bread is terrible. This is my daughter's first cruise since diagnosis. I was hoping there would be some kid friendly items that were gluten free at the buffet. Good to know about the omelette eggs - I assumed those were similar to egg beaters and I've found all the brands in my grocery store to be gf.

• 9 months later...

I've been on a couple carnival cruises since being diagnosed and i don't like eating in the MDR. Heres a short list of items i know are gluten free on the lido.

Breakfast: Yogurt, fresh fruits, fresh eggs, hard boiled eggs, sausage, bacon

Lunch: hamburgers & hotdogs (sans bun), coleslaw, potato salad, fruits, vegetables, some fish and seafood (ask head chef on the lido first), most cheeses, most deli meats

Dinner: same as lunch with more meat options but if any meat has a brown juice stay away from it or check with the chef. they usually have fish marinated in butter that is safe.

please feel free to add or correct this list.

I've been on a couple carnival cruises since being diagnosed and i don't like eating in the MDR. Heres a short list of items i know are gluten free on the lido.

Breakfast: Yogurt, fresh fruits, fresh eggs, hard boiled eggs, sausage, bacon

Lunch: hamburgers & hotdogs (sans bun), coleslaw, potato salad, fruits, vegetables, some fish and seafood (ask head chef on the lido first), most cheeses, most deli meats

Dinner: same as lunch with more meat options but if any meat has a brown juice stay away from it or check with the chef. they usually have fish marinated in butter that is safe.

please feel free to add or correct this list.

Good info! Thanks :) !

Archived