I'm SOOOO CONFUSED!!

Snowshooz

Hi All...

I would appreciate some help with travel Insurance..Our Cruise to Alaska is on July 3 . I now think we should buy travel insurance (since the trip is so pricey)

I have gone to insuremytrip.com..and looked..they all look alike! :eek: My eyes glaze over when I read insurance policies

Is Travel Guard the best for the $$$? They have a few different policies..has anyone purchased their basic coverage ( Essential) and they also have (Essential Expanded which sounds more expensive but is really less expensive) They all look the same to me..Any suggestions???

Thanks so much!

Snowshooz :rolleyes:

Well, you obviously don't need it for pre-existing conditions, you have made final payment, your main reason to insure would be trip interruption or medical evacuation, right?

I wouldn't spend a whole lot on insurance, we usually get the cheapest available. The credit card we use covers flight and luggage, so we really only use it for emergency medical evacuation. I'm sure others may have opionons, but insurance for a trip is not something I waste a whole lot of money on.

trip cancellation/interruption needs to be paid upon deposit...

i personally just get baggage insurance in case something happens to my stuff...

my medical is covered thru my job...*shrug*

maybe you could call and compare rates from different companies?

Be aware of what and how things are covered! I only get "Trevelex" insurance because it is the only ins I know of that acts as "Primary" ins in case of illness, meaning that if you have to be airlifted or hospitalized etc it pays for everything up front, whereas most other ins have you fork out the $$ first and workout the details later. Got $20,000 laying around for an airlift?:eek:

trip cancellation/interruption needs to be paid upon deposit...

QUOTE]

I don't think this is true. I made my deposit, and I can buy travel insurance up til I pay for my cruise in full at expedia. And at insuremytrip.com, I think they give you up to 14, 15, and sometimes 21 days from your booking date.

Be aware of what and how things are covered! I only get "Trevelex" insurance because it is the only ins I know of that acts as "Primary" ins in case of illness, meaning that if you have to be airlifted or hospitalized etc it pays for everything up front, whereas most other ins have you fork out the $$ first and workout the details later. Got $20,000 laying around for an airlift?:eek:
I second that!! That's why we use "Travelex" Even if you don't use "Travelex" I strongly recommend travel insurance that offers primary coverage....good luck!

I only book directly with the cruise line and buy the insurance they offer. I know a guy who got into a car accident 2 days before he was supposed to leave and he didn't have insurance and couldn't make the trip, and lost 6000 dollars. You never know what might come up like a death in the family etc. Get the insurance.

Here's another vote for Travelex Travelite Policy. It is very reasonably priced and has an A+ rating.

I agree. I think this is the policy I am going with as well. We are not flying, but driving to port, but you never know about traffic accidents, etc. And also, you never know if you may need to cancel due to some unforeseen accident or medical problem, or god forbid death in your family. I checked into my medical, and they would cover medical, even out of US. So for me, it would just be peace of mind for the other reasons I have stated.

Archived