Rental cars

Hi

I am taking a cruise on holland america to nova Scotia with stops in halifax and sydney. Was wondering if there are rental cars available at the ports and if so how would I go about getting one now.

Thanks for the help

Anne:)

I've rented cars in both places. Here's what I remember:

Halifax -- Enterprise, Hertz and one other (Avis, maybe?) have kiosks at the pier. Enterprise's location is just a block or two inland in the VIA train station. Hertz's location is in the Casina Nova Scotia with a shuttle to/from the pier. I'm not sure about Avis's location. I have rented from Enterprise and Hertz. Enterprise is more convenient in my opinion since you can walk to/from the location. However, Enterprise has limited weekend/holiday hours. I just reserved the car through their website.

Sydney -- I rented from Budget in 2003. I had the car reserved in advance (through the Budget website). I was planning to catch a cab to the office, but stopped in the visitor's centre at the pier. They called Budget to get a shuttle for me.

I looked at the Enterprise locations in Halifax, and didn't see the one I expected to see on Hollis Street. I'm guessing they moved one of their offices? I recommend you call the 800 number (their website says 1-800-261-7331) to see which office serves Pier 21/the VIA rail station. Or post another question more specific to Halifax. There are a couple of guys from Halifax that regularly post here.

If you get a chance, be out on deck for arrival and sailaway. Many of the Nova Scotian ports will greet the ship with a bagpiper. In Sydney, the town band played as we sailed away.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived