Early Dinner vs. Late Dinner w/kids

Suntanz

I am so happy to come across this thread! I have a mommy question for you cruising moms. We will be on our first cruise with our 2 yr old. We currently have early seating. If we get there right on time, is there any chance we can be done in an hour to an hour and fifteen? Thanks for your help!

I wish I could say that it would, but its not likely. The service is SLOOOOOOOW. I would recommend taking your little one to the buffet or room service before dinner for a snack so that he/she is not starving. Also, we brought our own milk to dinner- too long of a wait.

rude patrons vs. rude staff: i've seen it many times. passengers four sheets to the wind before they even sit down to dinner, with a screaming sun-burnt kid, a grandma with hearing problems, a husband who loves the sound of his own voice, a brother-in-law who is intent on getting it his way, a frazzled mother or two, and a sulky teenager who didn't want to be there in the first place. they rarely look at the menu before the server comes up and then spend 15 minutes deciding and undeciding and all talking at once and mom overrides the kid and grumpy dad doesn't like anything on the menu, and sulky daughter doesn't want to look at the menu and everyone gets louder and angrier and hungrier and I sit at the next table and just wonder how people can act like they are and then when the servers leave after bringing the food the first words out of everyone's mouth is how bad the service is and why aren't they getting what they want and where the heck is the barman and did you see the waiter roll his eyes at me.

ah, life aboard a ship, ah, life in general.

Oh so true, the table of 8 beside were so loud we couldn't even have a conversation, they sang all the time, their kids hit their silverware on the glasses, helped themselves to the bread basket. So annoying , and on the other side of us a woman passed out with her head in her plate, her family just left her there when dinner was done.

It is truly personal preference. We chose Late 2011 Christmas "MAGIC" cruise, Late 2012 Holiday "BREEZE". We normally dine 7ish at home, on a cruise we're busy all day and night. Our kids are 7,11 & 13 now. Although late dining can interfere with the beginning of some kids club activities, we enjoyed the more relaxed pace of the later seating, a couple of nights, 13 yr old left dinner before dessert was over, no big deal, we also thought the shows were less crowded after the 8:15 seating. No rushing around after port days. Kids could wind down in their cabin and parents had a chance to go to the SPA and have a glass of wine on the front "secret " deck at sunset. There are lots of great options, do what you think is best for your family then make the best of it!

Archived