Early Dinner vs. Late Dinner w/kids

Suntanz

We are going on Dream in March. 2 families with a total of 5 kids ages 9 thru 12. Can't decide if we want early dinner or late dinner? I know its personal preference, but anyone have any input to share?

I would go with early dining. Late dining begins at 8:30 and could very well run up to 10:00 before you are done. We have done both early and late dining and noticed most families were at the earlier dining time. Is YTD an option? That way, you can go anytime you want.

We pick our dinner by port times. If you have late departures from the visiting portsI would pick late seating. If you leave ports early and have time to get ready for dinner then I would do early. Ex. We were in Port Canaveral 7-7, Nausau 11-11 and Freeport 8-1 We chose late seating.

We chose late dining because we didn't want to have to rush back from port to get ready for dinner. My kids are 3 and 6. On port days we do things to wear them out then have them take a nap when we get back to the ship. On sea days we take them to the pool and wear them out to get a quick nap out of them.

We have also stopped at the lido deck on the way to the MDR to get a plate of snacks so they were less likely to be starving and cranky.

Even when cruising with teens- who have a lot more stamina than younger kids- early dining was the way to go for us. No long waits because your table is specifically waiting for you. You can go to your cabins afterwards if you are tired after a day's worth of excursions. As a family, there are still a few things you can do after dinner and still get to sleep before 11pm. And the plus side is if there is anyone in your party that is still hungry you can utilize the pizza bar or order from room service during tuck down. The days seem to stack in tiredness as the week goes on. It is best to formulate a plan.

We definitely prefer the early seating. When traveling with the kids or a group, I like having an assigned time for dinner so everyone knows when to be ready. I also love that they have my granddaughter's milk and a snack ready for her after the first night. This option still allows us time for the show and bedtime reasonably early or a couple hours at camp for the little one while we do adult activities.

I could never sleep if I finished a big meal at 10:00.

We just got back, kids are 10, 11, 17 and 20. We did late dining so we never had to rush back from the ports. We all had time for a nap before dinner if needed and a snack as well. No complaints about the time from my group. In fact a couple times I mentioned how glad I was to have picked the late dining, especially when we had to get fancied up.

We are firm beleivers in keeping bedtime and meal time close to normal times at home. We cruise with an 8 year old. There for, we eat at 5 or at latest 6 (we tend to avoid the over rated, long drawn out, rude servers at the MDR most nights). And when we set up a cruise we pick anytime dining. bedtime for one of us and the girl is 8-9 PM, so late dining wouldn't fly anyway.

We just got back, kids are 10, 11, 17 and 20. We did late dining so we never had to rush back from the ports. We all had time for a nap before dinner if needed and a snack as well. No complaints about the time from my group. In fact a couple times I mentioned how glad I was to have picked the late dining, especially when we had to get fancied up.

thanks for your advise as we will be travelling at the end of this month with 2 teenagers 15 and 18 yrs..

We are firm beleivers in keeping bedtime and meal time close to normal times at home. We cruise with an 8 year old. There for, we eat at 5 or at latest 6 (we tend to avoid the over rated, long drawn out, rude servers at the MDR most nights). And when we set up a cruise we pick anytime dining. bedtime for one of us and the girl is 8-9 PM, so late dining wouldn't fly anyway.

Live a little, kids need to learn that things can change !! I am very offended that you called the servers rude, the servers we had were wondeful, hard working friendly people, that makes me very angry that you generalize like that !!!

Thanks for responses. I don't think I would do YTD as our party is 9 & am concerned about wait times. If we were without kids, a pre dinner cocktail would be fine while waiting, but kids might be a little restless. Also, we enjoy having same waitstaff every night. They were great with the kids the last time we were on the Dream.

time, for me, is of no concern on a ship. though we never travel with kids under the age of 12 our teenage companions enjoy late dinner with the rest of us. after a port day or a hectic and fun filled sea day they all take a nap or tend to have some quiet time before dinner, and that is what they choose to do. if the next day is a port day they have a 12am curfew, if it is a sea day as long as we know where they are and who they are with it is extended to 2am if their is dancing and socializing in the teen center.

for us a vacation is about having some freedoms and changes from all of our normal lives and the teens are no exceptions. i can still remember loving being treated like an adult and getting to do something different, and our teens are the same and act accordingly.

time, for me, is of no concern on a ship. though we never travel with kids under the age of 12 our teenage companions enjoy late dinner with the rest of us. after a port day or a hectic and fun filled sea day they all take a nap or tend to have some quiet time before dinner, and that is what they choose to do. if the next day is a port day they have a 12am curfew, if it is a sea day as long as we know where they are and who they are with it is extended to 2am if their is dancing and socializing in the teen center.

for us a vacation is about having some freedoms and changes from all of our normal lives and the teens are no exceptions. i can still remember loving being treated like an adult and getting to do something different, and our teens are the same and act accordingly.

Well said !!!!!

We definitely prefer the early seating. When traveling with the kids or a group, I like having an assigned time for dinner so everyone knows when to be ready. I also love that they have my granddaughter's milk and a snack ready for her after the first night. This option still allows us time for the show and bedtime reasonably early or a couple hours at camp for the little one while we do adult activities.

I could never sleep if I finished a big meal at 10:00.

There must be something wrong with me, late sitting and a big meal, I'm ready for bed.:)

Our kids, particularly when both were still Camp Carnival ages (under 12) always wanted to be at all the camp activities - and on most days, they began at 7 or 7:30 PM - so we always did early seating, and they often wanted to skip dessert if dinner ran long so they could get to camp "on time." Had we done late seating, they'd have most likely just eaten with the camp at 6 and then gone to the evening activities with the group, and we'd have eaten alone.

Early dining lines up with the kids programs better. They restart around 830 for tweens after a break from 5-8. we switched to early from late after getting this tip during our planning and this worked great for us. Our kids had to be at the room at five- five to eight was family time and dinner. We set their curfew for the night based on their plans and what is going on the next day (early port= earlier curfew). Then they would take off and dh and I we're on our own :-)

Keep in mind how early sunset will/won't be. If I'm cruising when it's going to be light outside at 8:00 in the evening I usually choose late or YTD.

However, if it's going to be dark by 6 then I go early. Another thing to consider is that late dining gets done around 10:00. If I'm tired I can never sleep well on a full stomach. I usually do early or YTD, then I can do a 7 or 7:30 if I want.

Live a little, kids need to learn that things can change !! I am very offended that you called the servers rude, the servers we had were wondeful, hard working friendly people, that makes me very angry that you generalize like that !!!

I totally agree with you here .... we've never had a rude dining server on any of the lines we've sailed. Perhaps there's something in the OP's attitude that evokes a less than plesant response? :rolleyes: Or perhaps they're on of those who look for things to be wrong? Or maybe they're so cranky/resentful because they're working so hard to accomodate the children's "sensibilities" rather than allowing compromising for the good of all? :eek:

We are going on Dream in March. 2 families with a total of 5 kids ages 9 thru 12. Can't decide if we want early dinner or late dinner? I know its personal preference, but anyone have any input to share?

Can your kids sit through a two hour dinner that ends around 10pm? If not, then I suggest early dinner.

with a group as large as yours i would not do anytime dining unless youmexpect the kids not to eat withnyou.

taking late dinner will givemthe kids much down time.

camps close at 5 and start backmup by 7 and full swing by 8 which is when late dining is starting. then camps become fee based at 10pm. so you see the kids, especially the younger ones will not be utilizing camp activities very much.

àlso, consider what time are you used to esting at home.

eating that heavy rich foods late at night played havoc with my sleep schedule. i had a hard time sleeping that first cruise because the food never really had time to digest. we ate then sat in shows.

with early dining i was able to walk off some of it before show time started. by the time i went to bed it was hours later.

a question for the OP are all three options available to you for your sailing

What are their normal dinner times at home? It may be a good idea to try to stick as close to their normal eating routine as possible.

Since the traditional dinner times seem to take around 2 hours total, that would be a 6-8pm time frame for dinner which is probably in line with the times that they eat at home.

In addition, if the kids-clubs cater to their activities after the 8pm time frame, the Early dining option may be the best bet for the kiddos.

:) Hope you all have a great time with your family and friends.

Archived