Serenity mud bath question

vikqueen

We are taking a private land and sea tour with Serenity and are interested in doing the mud baths. I have heard that the mud stains your suits and smells bad! I know we can shower after the baths and change, but when you go on the boat part do you bring along another "fresh" bathing suit or are you able to rinse off the mud and smell ok in the shower?

We are taking a private land and sea tour with Serenity and are interested in doing the mud baths. I have heard that the mud stains your suits and smells bad! I know we can shower after the baths and change, but when you go on the boat part do you bring along another "fresh" bathing suit or are you able to rinse off the mud and smell ok in the shower?

The volcanic, sulpher mud can stain a light colored suit, so don't bring your favorite white or light pink, etc suit with you!! And yes, it does smell like sulpher (rotten eggs) You will be able to thoroughly rinse off/rinse out everything before heading back out to the next part of your excursion. Some people bring two suits or a fresh change of clothes if they don't plant to swim again - it is completely up to you. Personally, if I were then heading to the beach or on a boat for some swimming, I wouldn't bother with a separate suit - the ocean will clean out the remainder of the mud. I would thoroughly wash your suit out when you get back to the ship though - take it in the shower with you and use your shampoo or really clean it in the sink.

Enjoy your visit - that is a great choice for an excursion!

• 2 weeks later...

I did this a few years ago - wore a white bathing suit - I was lucky that it didn't stain. Also, if it gets busy, there are line ups to shower off and to be honest, it takes a bit of scrubbing and some time to get all the mud off! If I had known how bad the smell was, I would have brought a bar of soap and a change of clothes - smelled like rotten eggs for the rest of the tour that I was on (at least we were all smelling terrible - so it made for many jokes). :)

• 2 weeks later...

I did the mud baths last week as part of our Cosol tour. Glad I did it, but once was enough - I wouldn't do it again. The water is very hot. Some people did get right into the small pool, but I couldn't take the heat. I smeared the mud on myself and rinsed off a bit by splashing the hot water from the pool onto myself. Then I went and rinsed and rubbed the mud off in the cold running water showers. Then I went swimming in the sea at the next stop. And still, I had mud stains on my legs, arms and face. I only got it off when I returned to the ship and scrubbed with a facecloth and soap. And that didn't get the mud out from under my fingernails. I had to buy a nailbrush in port the next day and scrub away for awhile.

Archived