Norweigan 5 Day Sky Review 11/12 - 11/16 with Pix

beachpearl

[quote name='beachpearl'] The alcoholic drinks were very weak. I would give an overall rating of a 6 for the drinks. They tasted good, but if I can drink 3 – 4 drinks within a two hour time span and not feel tipsy or have a buzz, then either the liquor is watered down or they are pouring very little of it. [/FONT][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I found the same problem during our sailing. I really wonder why they do this, I wonder if they are told to make them that weak...

I enjoyed your review very much! Loved your photos too. The food photos made me very hungry:D I see you cruised with your Mom. I did a cruise with my Mom back in 2009. It was a wonderful cruise ( there were a few disappointments, ie with table mates in set time dining on a different cruise line. We didnt click at all.) Mom and I discussed changing tables, but my mother said we should stick it out, and it turned out the other folks at our table left without a word to us or to the wait staff. As it turned out after they left our wait staff seemed to be much happier, and they treated Mom and I like royalty. We had an awesome cruise, and I love cruising with my mother. So thanks for sharing your cruise experience and your photos. I enjoyed your review.:)

[quote name='Jersey_Bill']Hey BP -

Ain't nothing that can match the Jersey Shore, ignoring that little embarassment that was "Jersey Shore"!!

Glad that you and your mom had a special trip !

Jersey Bill[/quote]

LOL - Amen to all that!

[quote name='gambee']I found the same problem during our sailing. I really wonder why they do this, I wonder if they are told to make them that weak...[/quote]

I think they're just being cheap on their end.

I was lucky enough to click with one of the bartenders who would make ad decent one, but of course, I wasn't going to see him at every bar I had a drink at.

My bar tab should have been larger than what it was, but a very nice gentleman that I met on the ship wouldn't hear of me paying for my drink if he was around, which was often at Dazzles in the evening.

But, yes, the drinks were a disappointment.

[quote name='SMSACE6']I enjoyed your review very much! Loved your photos too. The food photos made me very hungry:D I see you cruised with your Mom. I did a cruise with my Mom back in 2009. It was a wonderful cruise ( there were a few disappointments, ie with table mates in set time dining on a different cruise line. We didnt click at all.) Mom and I discussed changing tables, but my mother said we should stick it out, and it turned out the other folks at our table left without a word to us or to the wait staff. As it turned out after they left our wait staff seemed to be much happier, and they treated Mom and I like royalty. We had an awesome cruise, and I love cruising with my mother. So thanks for sharing your cruise experience and your photos. I enjoyed your review.:)[/quote]

I am glad you enjoyed the review :) and the photos.
I was thankful that NCL had freestyle dining. We didn't sit with anyone else during the cruise and it looked to be that way with other guests as well.
Your tablemates were rude - I would have been happy that they found seating elsewhere, even if they didn't say goodbye.

[quote name='shelly11']loved your review and the photos. GSC has changed a lot in a year![/quote]

There was a lot to do and the weather was great.
The only thing that I didn't like was all those rocks. OUCH!

I forgot to mention that the hippo slide wasn't available when I was therr.
It got damaged during Hurricane Sandy, whihc happened two weeks prior to my being there.

So sad your review is over. I so enjoyed it since we are going in June. I loved the coconut monkeys. I'm not much of a drinker but told my hubby he has to get one for me. Did customs give you any kind of trouble over bringing them home with you?

Thanks for the info! At each port, is there a beach and shopping within walking distance or do we always have to take a taxi? Also, we want to rent jet skis. Which port would be good to do that? We don't want to book an excursion with NCL because they are expensive, just want to rent jet skis on our own.

[quote name='janpa70']So sad your review is over. I so enjoyed it since we are going in June. I loved the coconut monkeys. I'm not much of a drinker but told my hubby he has to get one for me. Did customs give you any kind of trouble over bringing them home with you?[/quote]

I didn't have any trouble getting it home.

Although, TSA opened my checked bag and rifled through the box of tea that I bought in nassau. They left me a note letting me know they went in my bag. I didn't even realize they went in my bag, because it looked just like it left it, but when I took the tea out, the seal on the box was broken.
I guess they were making sure it was tea leaves in the bags and not some other weeds, lol.

[quote name='dmwalker613']Thanks for the info! At each port, is there a beach and shopping within walking distance or do we always have to take a taxi? Also, we want to rent jet skis. Which port would be good to do that? We don't want to book an excursion with NCL because they are expensive, just want to rent jet skis on our own.[/quote]

It should be easy enough to book an non-NCL excursion.
I know they have rentals at the free beach across from Port Lucaya Marketplace in Freeport. There was a man near Billy Joe's Conch Shack that was selling different activities. He approached me as soon as I stepped on the beach. I suppose he stands there since tourists enter from that area/entrance.

When you get off the ship in Nassau, there will be many outside vendors hawking all types of excursions. You won't have any trouble finding someone that can set you up somewhere with jet skis. You're more apt to find a better variety in Nassau than in Freeport.

Also, if you're going to Great Stirrup Cay, NCL has a jet ski excursion that you can book.

[quote name='dmwalker613']Thanks for the info! At each port, is there a beach and shopping within walking distance or do we always have to take a taxi? Also, we want to rent jet skis. Which port would be good to do that? We don't want to book an excursion with NCL because they are expensive, just want to rent jet skis on our own.[/quote]

Rorgot to answer RE the beach.

You can walk to Junkanoo beach in Nassau, that's not far from the port and you can even still see the ship from the beach. There are PLENTY of shops on Bay St. on the way to Junkanoo.
I did my shopping on the way back to the ship after I left the beach. Taxis aren't needed to do either.

You definitely need a taxi in Freeport for any of the beaches and/or shopping at Port Lucaya Marketplace. There are lots of taxis waiting when you get off the ship. Try to share the taxis if you can, otherwise they will charge you more than $5.00 pp.
I had to pay $30 to go to the Perfume Factory & Lucaya Marketplace because it was just me and DM. They consider two people a "private taxi" and charge accordingly. :rolleyes:

do a search here, there are some pretty scary stories from jet skies exploding to robberies......safety is a real issue....so the guy will charge you 60 bucks for rental.....then rush you off the machine......or knock you off taking your wallet, sun glasses, and anything else you put in the riders compartment.........20 dollars more, organized, safety instructions, a guided tour of great sturip cay......for 80 bucks your safe, 60 bucks.......and take your chances.... just a thought :)

• 2 weeks later...
I am planning on going on SKY on th March 4th cruise. This is my first cruise and im going with a buddy we are both male and 40. Im a little worried because i have heard everyone goes to bed at 11pm and we both work mids and generally party til 4am.Anyone have any info on the clubs/bars at night or know a ship where its more active? Thanks for any info. I loved the pics

[quote name='thejoz']I am planning on going on SKY on th March 4th cruise. This is my first cruise and im going with a buddy we are both male and 40. Im a little worried because i have heard everyone goes to bed at 11pm and we both work mids and generally party til 4am.Anyone have any info on the clubs/bars at night or know a ship where its more active? Thanks for any info. I loved the pics[/quote]

I went to Dazzles, which is the nightclub, around 12:30 each night. The first night there weren't that many people there. With each consecutive night, it a few more people were there. The night of the White Hot Party & the last evening of the cruise had the most people.

I did dance each night and had fun, but I expected there to be more people. It closes around 2:00 - 3:00 depending upon how many people are still there. They had a good DJ and you could request songs. If you make your own fun and are open to striking up conversations with strangers, you should be fine. The people that I met on the first night at Dazzles, I wound up hanging out with each night there.

Another spot that is open until 4:00 (or maybe later) is Longboards Sport Bar. I didn't go there so I can't say anything about the crowd or atmosphere, but some people from the nighclub would go there after the club closed to get something to eat.

Having said all that, all of that depends upon the demographic of the people that will actually be on your cruise.

Glad you liked the pix, enjoy your cruise and be sure to come back with a review!

P.S. Be sure to visit Senor Frog's in Nassau if you like to party. :p

[quote name='beachpearl']I am defiitely a fashionista as well. I wore a different dress each night, but I must say attire was pretty casual on the Sky. But I didn't care, I love wearing pretty dresses :)[/QUOTE]

Me too. I love to dress up (not during the day, but for dinner I always have my hair done and have a different dress each night!). When we were on the Pearl and the Jewel the attire was very casual, but I really didn't care either. On formal night I looked ridicules! I still didn't care -- I was having fun! Great review! I only read reviews with pictures so that I can make up my own mind about the ship instead of just taking someone else's opinion :D .

Since you did such a great job with the review I thought I'd ask you this question. I know on Great Stirrup Cay they have the wheelchairs but was wondering if while you were there you seen any passengers driver scooters on the island? Thanks

[quote name='emmacruises00']Me too. I love to dress up (not during the day, but for dinner I always have my hair done and have a different dress each night!). When we were on the Pearl and the Jewel the attire was very casual, but I really didn't care either. On formal night I looked ridicules! I still didn't care -- I was having fun! Great review! I only read reviews with pictures so that I can make up my own mind about the ship instead of just taking someone else's opinion :D .[/quote]

Looking at pix is one of the best ways to decide, lol :)
I'll be in Jamaica in 3 weeks and hust had to buy new sundresses even though I have more than enough :p

[quote name='janpa70']Since you did such a great job with the review I thought I'd ask you this question. I know on Great Stirrup Cay they have the wheelchairs but was wondering if while you were there you seen any passengers driver scooters on the island? Thanks[/quote]

I didn't see anyone riding on scooters. Although, GSC is a bit on the rocky side, so it might be a bumpy ride even if they are provided.
they may have them near the cabanas (I don't know if it's smoother in that area) but I didn't venture in that area.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='beachpearl']FINAL MORNING:

Final pix - Miami skyline taken from the Garden Cafe:

[IMG]http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss98/cbeato1013/DSC01292.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss98/cbeato1013/DSC01294.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss98/cbeato1013/DSC01296.jpg[/IMG]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]DEBARKATION[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]I left two of my larger suitcases in the hall for pickup.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Liquor pickup was located on the same deck as customer service. [/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Debarkation was quite easy. I was one of the last groups to leave the ship. My luggage was where it was supposed to be upon leaving before getting in the customs line. The line seemed long, but it moved quickly.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]OVERVIEW:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]STAFF: Most of the staff was friendly, pleasant and courteous – I would give them a 9 out of 10.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]FOOD: I would rate it an 8 out of 10[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]DRINKS: The lemonade was excellent, but the orange juice was not 100% juice. I thought that was too much of cutting corners from NCL – they could at least supply regular orange juice. The alcoholic drinks were very weak. I would give an overall rating of a 6 for the drinks. They tasted good, but if I can drink 3 – 4 drinks within a two hour time span and not feel tipsy or have a buzz, then either the liquor is watered down or they are pouring very little of it.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]ENTERTAINMENT: There was plenty to do; I would give that a 9[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]CABIN: Small but okay for two people – would give that a 7.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]I would recommend the Sky for either a first time cruiser or someone who just wants a short cruise. It’s not a huge ship, so you’re able to get your bearings quickly. There were plenty of things to do, even if you didn’t leave the ship to go into the port. The Sky gives you a taste of cruising, long enough to be a nice little vacation, but not so short that you feel like you just got started when it’s time to leave. [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Please feel free to ask me any questions, and I’ll be happy to answer them. [/FONT][/SIZE][/quote]

You said you were one of the last off the ship, do you remember about what time you were off? I'm trying to guess at the "average" time someone would get off the ship. Thanks!

Interesting review thanks.

We took our first cruise on the SKY also. Leading up to it I read a gazillion reviews here. One of the funnier reviews I read the writer was talking about the person in the balcony next to them. When they got on in Miami, the ship was docked so that their balconies were facing the terminal and people working to supply the ships. Apparently they were quite upset that their balcony didn't have an Ocean view. :rolleyes:

[quote name='beachpearl']Pic of Port Lucaya:

[IMG]http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss98/cbeato1013/DSC01040.jpg[/IMG]

[FONT=Calibri]Had a late lunch at the Afterdeck restaurant. I wasn’t impressed – I was sitting outside and there were pigeons that were a nuisance: flying overhead, sitting on empty chairs and the floor. The employees did their best to shoo them away, but it was a turn-off. The food was so-so. I had conch fritters for the first time. I was really looking forward to trying them. They were mostly batter and a disappointment in general. [/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][IMG]http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss98/cbeato1013/DSC01039.jpg[/IMG][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][IMG]http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss98/cbeato1013/DSC01065.jpg[/IMG][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][IMG]http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss98/cbeato1013/DSC01064.jpg[/IMG][/FONT]

And DO NOT order alcoholic drinks there – I forgot how much they were charging for them, but the couple next to us got a round. They could not have been more than 5 ounces. I asked them what they were drinking to be sure. Sure enough, they were TINY Bahama Mamas. I was glad I bought my drink with me from the frozen drink stand.
[FONT=Calibri]These were the best drinks I had during the entire trip.[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][IMG]http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss98/cbeato1013/DSC01062.jpg[/IMG][/FONT][/quote]

I ate lunch there as well and was not impressed.

[quote name='davids68girl']You said you were one of the last off the ship, do you remember about what time you were off? I'm trying to guess at the "average" time someone would get off the ship. Thanks![/quote]

It was between 9:30 - 10:00 when we left. I could hear over the PA system "last call to leave the ship" as we were walking off.

Also our room stweard was a sweetie and didn't shoo us out of the room and let us leave our carryon luggae in the room while we ate breakfast and until we were ready to leave.

[quote name='BIG_Steve']Interesting review thanks.

We took our first cruise on the SKY also. Leading up to it I read a gazillion reviews here. One of the funnier reviews I read the writer was talking about the person in the balcony next to them. When they got on in Miami, the ship was docked so that their balconies were facing the terminal and people working to supply the ships. Apparently they were quite upset that their balcony didn't have an Ocean view. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Some people will always find something to complain about :rolleyes:
Gimme a break LOL

Archived