Wonderful Copenhagen

Starting to lay out the details for our day in port in Copenhagen. We have from 8am to midnight so happy to have a lot more time here than other ports.

I have heard good things about the Copenhagen Walks/Hans Christian Andersen walking tours and the Canal boat tours. But with just one day to spend -- are both of them overlapping? We don't want to walk or sail by without seeing the inside and being able to spend some time at these sights. Should we just pick one (and which one to pick)?

Thanks!

Hi there Danish Viking

Someone posted on our roll call that they weren't sure which port in Copenhagen the Norwegian Star would depart. I didn't know there were two ports. Can you help clarify this at all?

One day I read through all the pages of this extremely long thread and got extremely informed on Copenhagen(it took a really long time)...5 seconds ago I did a search for your specific question...(it took 5 seconds)...

Use the Search bar...tell your friends. :)

Since there are multiple ports in Copenhagen, I dug around to find the port schedule so I could keep the travelling to a minimum. Thought I would share.

http://www.cmport.com/ships-in-port/cruise-ships/~/media/docs/business%204/cruise%20passenger%20information/cruise%20calls%20season%202013%20as%20per%20march%202013.ashx

Sundkaj C245 and Orientkaj C254 is on the same pier (freeport terminal) so it doesnt matter which one it is.

The others are Langelinie Pier C190, Nordre Toldbod C170 and from next year C330 aka the cruise terminal.

It varies between 245 and 254 but as i said, it doesn´t matter for you, just if you have to turn left or right at the terminal.

http://www.cmport.com/maps/copenhagen/frihavnen

Depending on the date you can take bus 26 directly from the bus stop at Pakhusvej towards Færgehavn Nord or Unicef and get off at Kalkbrænderihavnsgade.

But its only on regular weekdays, so not on public holidays and weekends.

Edited by wjb2613

Wow, what an incredible thread! What a patient and helpful person you are, Danish Vikinger!

I have read numerous pages of your old thread and this one, and have learned a lot.

There are certainly many people like us who would like to buy you a beer when we are in Copenhagen!

Our daughter and her fiancé (both are of similar age as you ;)) will be joining us to cruise after they have toured Sweden in their VW bus.

I know they can leave their bus in the parking lot at the Freeport terminal for about 140 Euro for 10 days.

Do you know if there is another save but cheaper place to park their vehicle for 10 days? They would not mind a long walk or a short drive with public transport to pick up their van.

Vielen Dank im Voraus! Sie sind bei uns, wenn Sie mal in Süddeutschland unterwegs sind, ganz herzlich willkommen! :)

Hi,

Can anyone who's purchased a Copenhagen Card tell me if a bus/metro/s-train and city map is included? If not, I presume that we can purchase a pocket map at the airport when we buy our cards?

Thanks! :)

There is an A-bus map (not entirely sure what they are). There is a train and metro map. Just shows the lines and the names of the stops, doesn't show streets. There is also a buslines in city map. Again, doesn't show a lot of detail as far as the streets. It does have a city map, mainly city center, showing where the included attractions are located. I also bought a Streetwise Copenhagen map which I think will be helpful. We will be there for two days so will have time to figure out stuff once we get there. If you are there in port for a day you will need to plan more in advance.

I think we will just need single (2 zone) tickets to get from the Glyptotek museum to Nyhavn. If we pay on the bus do I need exact change? how much?

Its costs 24 DKK for a single ticket, you don´t need exact change but don´t use anything larger than a 100 kroner bill.

Starting to lay out the details for our day in port in Copenhagen. We have from 8am to midnight so happy to have a lot more time here than other ports.

I have heard good things about the Copenhagen Walks/Hans Christian Andersen walking tours and the Canal boat tours. But with just one day to spend -- are both of them overlapping? We don't want to walk or sail by without seeing the inside and being able to spend some time at these sights. Should we just pick one (and which one to pick)?

Thanks!

I will not say that these trips overlap, not as far as i recall.

Wow, what an incredible thread! What a patient and helpful person you are, Danish Vikinger!

I have read numerous pages of your old thread and this one, and have learned a lot.

There are certainly many people like us who would like to buy you a beer when we are in Copenhagen!

Our daughter and her fiancé (both are of similar age as you ;)) will be joining us to cruise after they have toured Sweden in their VW bus.

I know they can leave their bus in the parking lot at the Freeport terminal for about 140 Euro for 10 days.

Do you know if there is another save but cheaper place to park their vehicle for 10 days? They would not mind a long walk or a short drive with public transport to pick up their van.

Vielen Dank im Voraus! Sie sind bei uns, wenn Sie mal in Süddeutschland unterwegs sind, ganz herzlich willkommen! :)

Vielen Dank für die freundlichen Worte :D

Parking is very expensive in Copenhagen so I think that what the port offers is the best option, But maybe the cheap long term parking in the airport (P15 and P17) can do it cheaper.

It´s 50 DKK per day if you have parked in 8 straight days.

I actually been in south Germany a few times.

3 times in München and 2 times in Stuttgart to watch fussball :)

I am a huuge supporter of Schalke 04 and Its almost impossible to get tickets for Schalke 04´s home games so we usually see them away, to this date i have seen them in Munich one time at the Olympia Stadion, one time in Stuttgart and Rostock, Twice in Berlin and 3 times in Hamburg (twice at HSV´s Imtech Arena and ones at St. Pauli´s Millerntor)

I have been at Veltin Arena 2 times and making my way for the 3rd time this summer for Rauls testimonial match.

There is an A-bus map (not entirely sure what they are). There is a train and metro map. Just shows the lines and the names of the stops, doesn't show streets. There is also a buslines in city map. Again, doesn't show a lot of detail as far as the streets. It does have a city map, mainly city center, showing where the included attractions are located. I also bought a Streetwise Copenhagen map which I think will be helpful. We will be there for two days so will have time to figure out stuff once we get there. If you are there in port for a day you will need to plan more in advance.

Excellent. Thanks! :)

Thanks, Danish Viking!

How funny! We will be in Copenhagen on 27. July when you are in Gelsenkirchen! Well, no chance of buying you a beer :-(

I have heard that Copenhagen does not have P+R facilities like in Amsterdam.

Someone suggested parking on the street in a suburb near a random S-train station und using this to get into town. Outside of the immediate centre of town there would be no parking fees in most places. I actually got the name of station, from where it would just take 20 minutes to get to Nordhavn.

Do you think this is a risky option?

I am hoping to have time to read this thread from the beginning but hoping that you can help. We will be cruising on the Celebrity Constellation this July and will be in Copenhagen from 8Am to 5Pm on Wedneday 17 July 2013.

This Cruise is for my 50th Birthday which is July 30th., Going on the trip will be my Partner Roger, my 3 boys, twins Clay and Cole (16 and in High School – students) and my oldest Jake – 20 (a college student) and my mother Carole (74). So there will be 6 of us. This will be the last port on our port intensive 12 day cruise. My mom does use a wheelchair for distances. I know the main place we want to see in Copenhagen is Tivoli gardens and I promised the boys the can ride the rides. We all love Disney - go almsot every year and know it was the inspiration for Walt Disney so we want to spend time there. What else would be suggested for my boys? Since taking a bus would be hard for my mother, what type of transportation or guide can we get to take us to Tivoli Gardens and maybe a few otehr sites. Open to suggestions.

Thanks

Sharon

I am hoping to have time to read this thread from the beginning but hoping that you can help. We will be cruising on the Celebrity Constellation this July and will be in Copenhagen from 8Am to 5Pm on Wedneday 17 July 2013.

This Cruise is for my 50th Birthday which is July 30th., Going on the trip will be my Partner Roger, my 3 boys, twins Clay and Cole (16 and in High School – students) and my oldest Jake – 20 (a college student) and my mother Carole (74). So there will be 6 of us. This will be the last port on our port intensive 12 day cruise. My mom does use a wheelchair for distances. I know the main place we want to see in Copenhagen is Tivoli gardens and I promised the boys the can ride the rides. We all love Disney - go almsot every year and know it was the inspiration for Walt Disney so we want to spend time there. What else would be suggested for my boys? Since taking a bus would be hard for my mother, what type of transportation or guide can we get to take us to Tivoli Gardens and maybe a few otehr sites. Open to suggestions.

Thanks

Sharon

All guides in Denmark are unionized so you have to visit guides.dk

Thanks, Danish Viking!

How funny! We will be in Copenhagen on 27. July when you are in Gelsenkirchen! Well, no chance of buying you a beer :-(

I have heard that Copenhagen does not have P+R facilities like in Amsterdam.

Someone suggested parking on the street in a suburb near a random S-train station und using this to get into town. Outside of the immediate centre of town there would be no parking fees in most places. I actually got the name of station, from where it would just take 20 minutes to get to Nordhavn.

Do you think this is a risky option?

I would not leave my car at any sidestreet or S-train station for more than a few days, leaving it for a week just spells trouble.

The port or airport is my best bet.

btw we are staying at Hilton Düsseldorf during our stay and we got 2 double rooms for a total of around 130 euro, how is than even possible in a 5 star hotel. ?

Edited by Danish viking

Another question: It looks like we can see the little mermaid from the canal tour. Is it worth it to also walk there or is the time better spent doing other things?

Thanks for all of your help. We will be there in less than 3 weeks and are getting very excited!

From the water you will only see the back of the mermaid, but you can get off and take the following boat.

The Blue Planet is located in walking distance from Kastrup metro station and thats the station just before the airport so you don´t need a taxi.

They got Hammerhead sharks, how cool is that. :D

From the water you will only see the back of the mermaid, but you can get off and take the following boat.

The Blue Planet is located in walking distance from Kastrup metro station and thats the station just before the airport so you don´t need a taxi.

They got Hammerhead sharks, how cool is that. :D

Thanks!

How long between canal boats if we got off at the mermaid and take the next boat back?

If we take the metro from the airport to Blue Planet is there someplace at the airport where we can leave our luggage? I really don't think we want it with us at Blue Planet. Besides, our hotel is near the train station so probably easier to go back to the airport and catch the train to the hotel.

Logistically going to Blue Planet from the airport makes the most sense but I have a feeling we are going to be way too tired. Neither of us is likely to have slept on the plane.

There are up to six daily departures, but its only the hop on hop off tours where you can get on and off.

The guided tours doesn't seem to stop anywere else but Gammel Strand and Nyhavn.

There is a luggage storage at the airport so if you are up to it you get to the Blue Planet just after landing in CPH.

If you visit this place after you have arrived at your hotel you can also take the metro line M2 from Nørreport or Kongens Nytorv directly to Kastrup metro station.

You can also as you have already noticed take the Øresund train to the airport and change to M2 from there.

Thanks for the tip about guides being unionized. Any suggestions for teen boys 16, 16 and 20 besides tivoli gardens. And maybe my 20 year old can buy you a beer along with the big boy Roger. We will be there July 17th

Sharon

Thanks for the tip about guides being unionized. Any suggestions for teen boys 16, 16 and 20 besides tivoli gardens. And maybe my 20 year old can buy you a beer along with the big boy Roger. We will be there July 17th

Sharon

Blue Planet, discussed above, is a new aquarium that looks very cool.

Blue Planet, discussed above, is a new aquarium that looks very cool.

Will look into that - my boys have been to the Balrimore aquarium so many times not sure they would be interested - will check it out - heard it is pretty cool

Also I have a question as to how handicapped/wheelchair friendly is Copenhagen and the sites. My mom can walk but needs a wheelchair for distances, etc. and one of my boys will most likely have one too - although his is more like s stroller wheelchair

Thanks

Sharon