Castaway Girl + Royal Car.?

MrsPete

We've decided we want to do a day sail in St. Thomas, and we're interested in either Winnifred or High Pockets. I'd really like to do one of those, but now I'm wondering whether a half-day thing might be better for our family. We do have one child who's a bit reluctant about swimming, so I'm thinking of her.

I see that RCCI offers a ship's excursion for a half-day (3 1/2 hour) sail on a catamaran called Castaway Girl. It doesn't sound as good as Winnifred or High Pockets, but I'm wondering if it might be a better fit for our family. The price is about half of the private contractors, which is fair since it's also half the time.

Has anyone done this day sail?

Is this boat likely to be crowded? (This was one of our big reasons for choosing a private contractor -- we don't enjoy being part of a huge crowd.)

From what dock does the sail begin?

This may or may not be a good choice for us -- can anyone give us advice to set us on the right road?

Hello MrsPete,

Castawaygirl is in fact a group charter sail like you said. It can hold up to 80 passengers. Whether they fill to capacity is another question. It leaves from the cruise ship dock as far as I know and sails out to Turtle Cove for snorkeling.

Here is another thing to think about. If in fact the Castaway Girl goes to Turtle Cove your daughter will have no choice but to stay on the boat or get in the water. Passengers aren't allowed to go up on the little island there. On the other hand if you do a private charter you have the flexibility of telling the captain that your daughter doesn't like to swim and you'd like for yourself and your daughter to be taken to the shore (beach) by dinghy so she can play in the sand, surf... while the rest of your group snorkels. Let the captain know when booking what your concerns about your daughter are so they can make suggestions/assist to make it a fun day for all. If on the group trip the crew may likely assist as well so if you go that route you might try to talk to a crew member and see if they could help out (maybe they have floats, noodles are something that your daughter might feel more comfortable swimming with...).

--Islander

http://www.*****

Hello MrsPete,

Castawaygirl is in fact a group charter sail like you said. It can hold up to 80 passengers. Whether they fill to capacity is another question. It leaves from the cruise ship dock as far as I know and sails out to Turtle Cove for snorkeling.

Here is another thing to think about. If in fact the Castaway Girl goes to Turtle Cove your daughter will have no choice but to stay on the boat or get in the water. Passengers aren't allowed to go up on the little island there. On the other hand if you do a private charter you have the flexibility of telling the captain that your daughter doesn't like to swim and you'd like for yourself and your daughter to be taken to the shore (beach) by dinghy so she can play in the sand, surf... while the rest of your group snorkels. Let the captain know when booking what your concerns about your daughter are so they can make suggestions/assist to make it a fun day for all. If on the group trip the crew may likely assist as well so if you go that route you might try to talk to a crew member and see if they could help out (maybe they have floats, noodles are something that your daughter might feel more comfortable swimming with...).

--Islander

www.*****

Well, you had me talked out of this idea with the 80 people thing, but the lack of options for my daughter was the icing on the cake. I think I'm going to forget this idea.

Thanks for the input; even though it wasn't what I'd hoped to hear, it was good information.

One additional note: 80 passengers is what they are coast guard licensed for in terms of capacity... I don't know what their average trip size typically is. I would guess about 30-50 based on other similar group charters I have done here in the VI. Still might be more then you had in mind, but just wanted to clarify that it might not be as many as 80 because that would be their max.

--Islander

http://www.*****

Archived