Just Back From The Elation - 1/31-2/4 Part 1

GulfCoaster

We just got back yesterday and overall it was a good cruise. Sure, we had a few bumps (no cruise is perfect and as you all know - it is how you handle the bumps which can make or break a cruise for you) but overall it was a good time.

Even though I had talked to the director of operations for the port who assured me (and for which I had posted the assurance on this board) "there would be no problems with parking" we decided to get there early since it was Superbowl week "just in case". More on that later.

We encountered some traffic but we were prepared for that due to the street closings and maps/routes that were available on line to review and we arrived at the port around 9:10 AM.

A small concern was that we did not have to show any ID or proof of our boarding passes to anybody when parking at the port. We had them available but we just pulled into the short line of cars and gave our money to the attendant ($64.00). She put the bills into the machine, we got our ticket and we went up and parked on the 4th floor. We did not have to stop at the baggage drop as we were just doing carry-ons. If you are doing the same - when you get to the drop area, tell them that and they should direct you forward to park. At least that was the way it was for us.

Staff was very friendly and directed us to the security area and we zipped through that. However they made us go to a table to show security that the wine we were carrying (one bottle in each carry-on) was indeed sealed and that was that.

I had completed all our docs on line so we were ready as soon as the Carnival reps were ready for us. About 10 minutes later they were ready and we were checked in. Got Zone 2 boarding and it was all easy as pie and everybody was very nice. Can't say enough about that. Carnival's terminal staff were just great!

We waited awhile and there were not many people in the terminal. Anyway, it was then announced that the Captain had some good news for us...we were cleared to board and that the cabins would be ready by 12:30! WOW!! That was a first! The passengers that were in the terminal all "second lined" to the gangway and we were up on the Lido eating by 10:50 AM!! So early and just a nice surprise for all!

Muster drill was conducted a bit late but was very easy. You do not bring your lifejackets to the drill. I just wish that no matter how any times the crew tells passengers to put the cell phones away and to pay attrention during this important time there are just those folks who don't or won't and refuse to "get with the program" and they don't listen. Even though we have been on 21 cruises there are always those passengers who think the drill is a joke and act like idiots because they think they are funny really! That is so sad.....

As we were going walking out of the showroom and going up to the station lifeboats, a girl walking next to me said (in a not so soft voice) that SHE was going out to the pool to "get a beer". As we were all walking I told her that they would not sell her a beer as we were still in the muster drill and she looked at me like I was a jerk! She wanted her beer - I wanted to be safe! Oh well...you can't reach them all!

The drill ended very soon after our arrival at our life boats and that was that. Time to party. The crew was saying we would be leaving a bit late (by about 45 mins) but no worries. In reality it was more like 2 hours and 10 mins late.

I will be taking the same cruise next week. I appreciate your review!

Although I've been on many cruises, mostly out of New Orleans, I have a lot of "newbies" sailing with me this time. I've provided them with some info, but it's great to see what you are writing as well, so I can prepare them.

Glad to hear you were able to get on the ship so early and the cabins were available at 12:30! I think that's the earliest I've ever heard!:D

We were late because passengers could not find parking!! We talked to a couple who arrived at the port around 12:30 and there was simply no parking. They said they drove around and around the parking structure but no parking was available and that was why we were late. I don't know about any travel issues due to storms. Mostly I heard it was traffic and that it was very, very heavy and that there was no place to park which is why we were held at the dock. The parking issues were resolved but then the traffic issues got in the way "big time" and it took the passengers forever to get to the ship. However, from what we were told they all finally all made it on board and that we could now leave.

The cool thing was that when we finally got to sail away it was now night and the New Orleans skyline and the entire riverwalk were all lit up. A concert was going on at Woldenberg Park along the river and it was all just so beautiful to see. So we were late...Oh well. I just felt sorry for the passengers who had to deal with the stress of the parking issues.

Anyway, back to earlier in the day. After eating and around 12:30 we went down to our cabin and sure enough - they were ready! We met our wonderful cabin attendant and then went back on deck and just enjoyed being on the ship and getting away from the daily grind if only for a few days. It was pretty cold and windy on deck but we had jackets and again you just deal with it.

After muster we went to the Serenity Deck to hang out. Even though there are signs around the area that state the Serenity Deck is for passengers 21 years of age or older, a family and their kids show up and the kids were all over the place jumpin up down on the chairs and pulling on ropes and just having a swell time. I love kids, however, if the area is for adults - then it needs to be for adults and passengers with kids need to respect that. There was an attendant at the desk on the starboard side but they did nothing and said nothing to correct this. We moved over to different chairs to get away from them and eventually they did leave as it was getting colder. Sail away came and while we were cold as well, we just watched the lights of the City grow smaller and then we went inside to change for dinner. Again, it was a beautiful sail away and we got to experiece it because we were late. It all worked out.

Time for dinner and there was another couple joining us and we had requested a "4-top" table with late seating. We were in the Imagination Dinning Room. We got the late seating but they put us at a round "10-top". It was hard for the waiters to serve the table as it was located in the very back of the dining room and when they had to go behind us all of us kept getting bumped. Unfortunately, this table was not going to work. I asked the Maitre d to change us if he could to the table size we had originally requested and he did! So all was now right. The dining room team on this ship works very hard to make everybody happy and a round of applause to all the dining staff for being so welcoming. The pride they have in their jobs really shows and a smile returned to them by the passengers really goes a long way.

We had booked the Chef's Table and could not find out what night it was going to be. We thought it would be the second night but it wasn't. Then we were told that it would be that last night of the cruise. That was Superbowl Sunday. We were really looking forward to doing this event but Superbowl Sunday was not a good time because I wanted to watch the game! We were going to cancel out but we received a card in our cabin on Friday night showing that the evening of the Chef's Table would now be on Saturday (our port day in Cozumel).

With this in mind we didn't have our usual 4 or 5 or so Margaritas at Pancho's Backyard (our favorite place in Cozumel) or a few La Bamba's at Carlos and Charlies as there was no sense in spoiling the evening by being passed out in the cabin, so we held back on the booze, gave our liver's a short break and after our day in Cozumel rested up a bit and got ready for the evening and The Chef's Table....

The Chef's Table.............OMG!!!!!!

This was THE event for us!!! This was great, terrific, amazing, the BEST! If you are a "foodie" and love a long dinner with amazing food and service - book this! Do not miss it!!

My wife and I have eaten is some of the finest restaurants and The Chef's Table and the experiece offered is right up with the best there is anywhere!!

Thanks to the CC boards and the wonderful pictures and review that one of the members posted we decided to book it. Don't get shut out. If you want to book the Chef's Table do it in advance of your cruise. It is $75.00 per person. You can add a tip on your "check" as well (and it is well deserved). You will not pay for the Chef's Table in advance and it will not be posted to your S & S account until after the event is over. However, you will pay a cancel fee after the Chef talks to you.

The ship's Chef de Cusine will come to your table during you regular dinner hour and talk to you about any food issues you may have. This is your first chance to meet him. You will talk for a couple of minutes he will note your requests and then you are set. You will think you are royality and will be treated as such! if you do not have an food problems or allergies just go with the menu he will prepare.

They are using the "new" Chef's Table menu on the Elation (I had not done the other menu so I can't compare the two). All I can say is the menu is terrific! The event starts in the lower lobby, then onto the galley and the dinner itself is served in the ship's library. As I said before this is a 3 hours plus event. You will be given a small intermission during the dinner with entertainment. The wine will flow and the food is from another planet and IMHO again if you are a foodie - - and you can get it - book it!!

I don't want to give too many spoilers about this wonderful night because the surprises in store are just wonderful. However, here is one fun hint, if the Chef should ask for any "volunteers" to help for a few minutes at the beginning of the evening...just jump right in! Just know you will have a great and fun time. The Chef is open to any quetions and enjoy's answering them any time during the evening.

IMHO and because it is a long night the Chef's Table may not be the best for kids as they will get restless and may not enjoy the type of food they will be serving. This really is an adult evening that you will long remember if you can get the booking - and you will have memories of a great evening that will stay with you for a long time to come...or until you book the Chef's Table on your next Carnival cruise.

We had a great time on the ship. On Sunday we thought we were going to do the comedy trivia game but I goofed up and got roped into doing sports and other related challenges instead right by the Drama Bar. There were 4 challengers for the first "game" where you had to get on your knees (I have "football knees and they are in terrible shape) and push an orange with your nose over the "finish line". My wife laughed so hard at this she almost "you know what" on herself! Funny thing is - and who had the last laugh? Me! I won by 1 second!

We did Karaoke over a few nights (If you were there, I was the one who did the Elvis version of My Way and Trouble. Also did Meatloaf's Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad). Thank you to the young lady who I was singing to and for being such a good sport!

We ate, drank and had a overall blast!

The final day of the cruise came. We did self assist. They started calling decks at 7:45 and we were off the ship and in line for Customs by 8:15.

The crew on the Elation works very hard to please you. As I said earlier a smile goes a long way on this ship. The ship itself is in good shape. No, it does not have many of the goodies found on some the new builds - but it is still a great ship and great short

getaway with an outstanding crew! One thing they did do (which many were unhappy about but I thought was cool) was when we got to Cozumel and were cleared you didn't have the big push to get down the stairs where people could fall or get hurt. There was a long single file line that you joined and it went around the hallway and then down a very short flight of stairs and you were off the ship. None of this crazy stuff on the staircases while trying to get off the ship. Just an orderly, but long exit. Same when you disembarked. This took a lot of the crazy stuff away when trying to get off the ship. And I think doing it this way worked and worked fine. Much safer overall. There are others that will disagree I am sure!

So, in closing, go and enjoy the Elation and it's crew. Go and relax and enjoy it and except it for what it is and you will have a ball!

In the meanitme, If I can answer anybody's questions I will do my best.

The Chef's Table.............OMG!!!!!!

This was THE event for us!!! This was great, terrific, amazing, the BEST! If you are a "foodie" and love a long dinner with amazing food and service - book this! Do not miss it!!

My wife and I have eaten is some of the finest restaurants and The Chef's Table and the experiece offered is right up with the best there is anywhere!!

Thanks to the CC boards and the wonderful pictures and review that one of the members posted we decided to book it. Don't get shut out. If you want to book the Chef's Table do it in advance of your cruise. It is $75.00 per person. You can add a tip on your "check" as well (and it is well deserved). You will not pay for the Chef's Table in advance and it will not be posted to your S & S account until after the event is over. However, you will pay a cancel fee after the Chef talks to you.

The ship's Chef de Cusine will come to your table during you regular dinner hour and talk to you about any food issues you may have. This is your first chance to meet him. You will talk for a couple of minutes he will note your requests and then you are set. You will think you are royality and will be treated as such! if you do not have an food problems or allergies just go with the menu he will prepare.

They are using the "new" Chef's Table menu on the Elation (I had not done the other menu so I can't compare the two). All I can say is the menu is terrific! The event starts in the lower lobby, then onto the galley and the dinner itself is served in the ship's library. As I said before this is a 3 hours plus event. You will be given a small intermission during the dinner with entertainment. The wine will flow and the food is from another planet and IMHO again if you are a foodie - - and you can get it - book it!!

I don't want to give too many spoilers about this wonderful night because the surprises in store are just wonderful. However, here is one fun hint, if the Chef should ask for any "volunteers" to help for a few minutes at the beginning of the evening...just jump right in! Just know you will have a great and fun time. The Chef is open to any quetions and enjoy's answering them any time during the evening.

IMHO and because it is a long night the Chef's Table may not be the best for kids as they will get restless and may not enjoy the type of food they will be serving. This really is an adult evening that you will long remember if you can get the booking - and you will have memories of a great evening that will stay with you for a long time to come...or until you book the Chef's Table on your next Carnival cruise.

We had a great time on the ship. On Sunday we thought we were going to do the comedy trivia game but I goofed up and got roped into doing sports and other related challenges instead right by the Drama Bar. There were 4 challengers for the first "game" where you had to get on your knees (I have "football knees and they are in terrible shape) and push an orange with your nose over the "finish line". My wife laughed so hard at this she almost "you know what" on herself! Funny thing is - and who had the last laugh? Me! I won by 1 second!

We did Karaoke over a few nights (If you were there, I was the one who did the Elvis version of My Way and Trouble. Also did Meatloaf's Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad). Thank you to the young lady who I was singing to and for being such a good sport!

We ate, drank and had a overall blast!

The final day of the cruise came. We did self assist. They started calling decks at 7:45 and we were off the ship and in line for Customs by 8:15.

The crew on the Elation works very hard to please you. As I said earlier a smile goes a long way on this ship. The ship itself is in good shape. No, it does not have many of the goodies found on some the new builds - but it is still a great ship and great short

getaway with an outstanding crew! One thing they did do (which many were unhappy about but I thought was cool) was when we got to Cozumel and were cleared you didn't have the big push to get down the stairs where people could fall or get hurt. There was a long single file line that you joined and it went around the hallway and then down a very short flight of stairs and you were off the ship. None of this crazy stuff on the staircases while trying to get off the ship. Just an orderly, but long exit. Same when you disembarked. This took a lot of the crazy stuff away when trying to get off the ship. And I think doing it this way worked and worked fine. Much safer overall. There are others that will disagree I am sure!

So, in closing, go and enjoy the Elation and it's crew. Go and relax and enjoy it and except it for what it is and you will have a ball!

In the meanitme, If I can answer anybody's questions I will do my best.

So how do you go about booking the Chef's Table?:confused:

Thank you soooo much for your review. Im an Elation junking with my February cruise now less than 2 weeks away!

I did the chefs table on the Ecstasy ( new menu) and LOOOOVED it also. I cant wait to take my mom to it. And yes we prebooked! :D

So how do you go about booking the Chef's Table?:confused:

I called Carnival Guest Services and told them I would like to request the Chef's Table for our cruise and they were kind enough to transfer me to the correct department.

I was told to send an email to GroupEventPlanning@carnival.com where I could make the request for the Chef's Table. Along with the request I was to give my ships name, date of sailing, booking number, cabin number and the number of people that would be attending the event. I then received an email confirming the receipt of the request and which also told me that I would receive a response one way or the other within 3 days.

Sure enough, a response came from the Elation Maitre d within 3 days telling me that I was confirmed for the Chef's Table. Yeah!! He also requested that if my plans were to change to please contact him.

Let me tell you, it was pretty cool when that confirmation email came as I knew we had it locked!

Hope that helps!

Thank you so much for this review. We sail this same itinerary at the end of the month. We've been on the Elation before but, it was 9 years ago. This is my first 4 day cruise, a little worried it's going to feel too short.

You are making me really want to book the Chefs dinner :D

Thank you so much for this review. We sail this same itinerary at the end of the month. We've been on the Elation before but, it was 9 years ago. This is my first 4 day cruise, a little worried it's going to feel too short.

You are making me really want to book the Chefs dinner :D

Book the dinner. You will love it. Have done it twice, once on the Ecstasy and once on the Elation. We sail on Elation again in April and will probably book the Chefs dinner again then. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for a great review, Gulfcoaster! Makes me want to go and book our next cruise just to do the Chef's Table. On our last cruise on the Breeze, we were told that it was totally booked. They also said that we could check back at Guest Services to see if any cancellations had happened, but no luck that time! From now on, will try to book it as soon as we book the cruise. Grean job, again!

Archived