Just back from Ecstasy - Cabin Robbed!

JennSTX

Hmm. H is tight? You sure he didn't "hide" it from you to keep you from spending it? Could he have returned the bracelette? Have I watched one too many Columbo's or Perry Masons or even McMillan and Wife?

Or perhaps you remember the $260 thread:p

BND,

Your post is our thought EXACTLY!!! Another guest or thief would never have took the time to check the luggage or open up drawers- they are looking to do it quick. Plus we were at the end of the boat surrounded by locked closets - no escape. Exactly.

Our room was made up in the 2 - 2.5 hrs we were gone and the guy knew us had talked to my husband and did the whole "hey, we speak Russian blahski, blahski" so he had the time to be casual - even if we came in and the luggage was moved he could say he had to move it to clean.

You are so right - it doesn't add up if you think it was another passenger - at all! :)

For those of you who have been so nice and asked -

My BF's wedding was Friday and was wonderful - she looked like a red headed perfect Barbie Bride. LOL Everything was so quick and they fed the guests ASAP so people were finishing up when the toasts were done, the cake, the dances started - it was cool because the people who traveled got to leave at 9:30 and didn't miss the "important" stuff. I hate those long wedding where you are bored or hungry waiting for stuff to happen. This was great!

My H's b-day is today. I scrubbed the house, baked a cake (I am waiting for it to cool now) and went overboard buying him clothes and a special Serbian Orthodox Recipe book that has his home cooking and food for fasts (there are like 4 major Lent's in Orthodoxy...:( booo hoo) - Anyway it is written in English so I can make his favorites. I tried to do Lent right after I converted from Catholicism but it is really hard to cook when half the ingredients are left out!:p

I can't wait for him to come home! After the trip and the subsequent rudeness or apathy Carnival gave us we really needed some happy & fun things. I think he will be really pleased.

As far as CCL goes - I am really kindof over them but when I read posts where I feel people are twisting what I said or being unfairly critical - I do respond. I kindof think some of the people (especially the ones that don't really read what I have written & just mouth off) must be TA's or must have some stake in things. I didn't slam CCL completely and I have written everything they have written back to me. I also am looking forward to taking another cruise - I might even try CCL's Elation - we live here and I know several people who did the 7 day and loved it. Maybe we just had bad luck with our stewards. I still think that one guy did it - but if a guest did do it then our stewards sucked for leaving the door wide open and not being more consciencious. Whoever did it have enough time and felt confident enough to really search around and check the luggage so :confused: it doesn't add up that it was another guest.

My H & I know we are lucky that they didn't find his wallet or get our credit cards or ID's - pain in the butt stuff.

However, how sucky is it that there are people on here who think "Boy, we are so lucky nothing worse happened! Thank you Carnival - at least we are still alive." is a good vacation!:D

However, how sucky is it that there are people on here who think "Boy, we are so lucky nothing worse happened! Thank you Carnival - at least we are still alive." is a good vacation!:D

Well, I DID post that it would have been horrible for you to have nothing worse happen like all your funds and travel documents taken. I was being sincere in that post and sorry if you don't want to hear that. I guess I would have been terrified at the though of going through customs and not having proof I was a US citizen. I would think that would be "sucky".

Colette,

I wasn't really singling you out - and I am grateful that it wasn't worse because like I said, the didn't take the pain in the butt stuff like the passports or DL's. Boy I'd really be pissed if I'd have to 5 hrs in line AND gotten robbed AND treated contemptable!

BND,

Your post is our thought EXACTLY!!! Another guest or thief would never have took the time to check the luggage or open up drawers- they are looking to do it quick. Plus we were at the end of the boat surrounded by locked closets - no escape. Exactly.

IMO I think you're misinterpreting BND's post. Here is BND's post:

My question is, what thief, whether a Carnival employee or another cruiser would take the time to open locked luggage, take out the money and replace the lock? Most thefts are crimes of opportunity. That usually means grab and run. Too big a chance of getting caught the more time they take. But the sad fact is everyone everywhere has to lock up their belongings. ... And questioning someone you don't know about something that doesn't make sense is not flaming especially when everything doesn't exactly add up.
If BND is around and wants to clarify, that would be great. But the way I read this post is that s/he is saying that your story doesn't make sense.

It doesn't make sense that someone would steal from your purse but completely ignore your husband's wallet. You said you locked your purse and wallet in the suitcase. Why would somebody go into your locked luggage? And how??? It sounds like you had a combination lock. Those locks are easily broken with a simple letter opener. But if the steward did indeed break the lock to get into your suitcase, it would be difficult to fix and re-lock your suitcase. Because you said you found it locked when you came back.

I think it's more likely that you left it unlocked accidentally. Which goes back to my whole point - that it sucks that you got stuff stolen but that it was primarily due to your carelessness. Live and learn. :(

This really seems to have affected you quite a bit. You're going around everywhere, even on other threads (where you advised someone to take Carnival because you would, even though they robbed you, you would go back), telling your story to anyone who will listen. My advice is that you should just let it go.

I don't think any of us don't sympathize with you. All of us recognize how badly it sucks to lose something. I've had things stolen; it stinks. But not all of us are going to agree with you on where the blame lies. You seem to get upset with those of us who disagree and you seem very determined to continually re-state your interpretation of it until everyone agrees that you must be right. Just let it go, and you will be happier for it.

I don't think any of us don't sympathize with you. All of us recognize how badly it sucks to lose something. I've had things stolen; it stinks. But not all of us are going to agree with you on where the blame lies. You seem to get upset with those of us who disagree and you seem very determined to continually re-state your interpretation of it until everyone agrees that you must be right. Just let it go, and you will be happier for it.

I agree with this statement.Lets bring all of this to a close...:)

IMO I think you're misinterpreting BND's post. .......It sounds like you had a combination lock. Those locks are easily broken with a simple letter opener. But if the steward did indeed break the lock to get into your suitcase, it would be difficult to fix and re-lock your suitcase. Because you said you found it locked when you came back.I think it's more likely that you left it unlocked accidentally. Which goes back to my whole point - that it sucks that you got stuff stolen but that it was primarily due to your carelessness. Live and learn. :( " END OF QUOTE

That's what I have repeatedly said. I will quote my other posts "In retrospect, I don't think I scrambled the combination or how else could they have done it." I also think that BND's post was not misinterpreted - BND was saying exactly what my H and I were thinking. To the T. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Anywho, that there isn't much left to say unless I get a response from CCL which is unlikely. We "might" cruise again on CCL only because there are so many rabid CCL fans that we must have had an exception to the rule. However, since we live in Galveston and have had more people rave about Rhapsody than either of the CCL ships we will probably do that one next. It just depends.

As far as dropping it - if you'll see my other post I pretty much have - but when I read someone confused about my facts (I was there - they were not) or adding or subtracting important details, I feel obligated to respond not so much for me anymore but for OP who I don't want to be confused or who might have had the same thing happen to them but aren't as "verbal" as me or who are afraid to be flamed.

These boards are a great way for people to get info, connect with others, and learn from other people's mistakes. Also, if it weren't for this board I'd never have known things like the letter I rec'd was also sent to an OP in response to a positive compliment they made. That info is priceless.

BND,

Our room was made up in the 2 - 2.5 hrs we were gone and the guy knew us had talked to my husband and did the whole "hey, we speak Russian blahski, blahski" so he had the time to be casual - even if we came in and the luggage was moved he could say he had to move it to clean.

You are so right - it doesn't add up if you think it was another passenger - at all!

That's what I have repeatedly said. I will quote my other posts "In retrospect, I don't think I scrambled the combination or how else could they have done it." I also think that BND's post was not misinterpreted - BND was saying exactly what my H and I were thinking. To the T.

Um, not really. If you read what BND says again, you will see they are saying they don't think a Carnival employee OR another cruiser would take so much time to open your LOCKED luggage, take your cash, and then redo the lock.

My question is, what thief, whether a Carnival employee or another cruiser would take the time to open locked luggage, take out the money and replace the lock?

Do you see what I'm getting at?

BND - If I have misinterpreted what you were saying, please forgive me and help us clarify what you meant. :)

Archived