Princess Mattresses

IECalCruiser

Mattresses are a very personal issue. What is too hard for someone is just right for someone else and what is too soft for someone is just right for someone else. I need a firm mattress and my complaint is that Princess mattresses are too soft or “broken down”. When we boarded the Coral Princess last September my back was very sore from a too soft hotel mattress (a Doubletree Sweet Dreams bed). The mattress in our oceanview cabin was just the right firmness and after the first night my back pain was gone. It appeared that printing on the binding said Matermall but I could find nothing at home with a Google search. We were on the Island in an oceanview cabin last month and I was hoping for the same good sleep. The mattress appeared to be identical to that on the Coral, but it was too soft and I did not get the anticipated back relief. I did confirm that the actual manufacturer was Matermoll, not Materhall and I took a photo of the label on the mattress.

IMG_1130.JPG

The mattress is the Admiral model from Matermoll. It doesn’t come standard with a pillowtop but several are available as options. As I looked further on the website I found this statement.

“Remember your last RCCL cruise ship experience? The Admiral mattress is the answer!”

I have not sailed on RCCL and I don’t know if their Admiral mattresses have pillow tops added but it appears, at least in some cases, that Princess has the same mattresses as RCCL. Additional information indicates that they have apparently been providing product to Celebrity Cruises, Silversea Cruises, Princess Cruises, Azamara, Regent, Royal Caribbean International, Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania, Carnival Cruises, Carnival U.K, V-Ships, Grandi Navi Veloci, Moby Lines, and Star Cruises

It appears that the Admiral is one of several mattresses in Matermoll’s “Shipping Line” for cruise lines made with fire retardant materials. They have some sort of Italian naval safety certification and appear to have a significant share of the cruise ship market. Several have built in pillow tops and others have an optional pillow top to attach to the mattress.

I have no idea what mattresses are on other Princess ships or cabin categories, but they are probably made by Matermoll. And based upon my experience, the same model might feel like two entirely different mattresses. Don’t know if this only muddies the water but I thought it would be interesting to at least a few people.

Archived