Room Service Tipping: Training Teens Staying Alone

OptionAnon

I usually tip in in the $2-$5 range....my last cruise was the first cruise with the teens in a seperate room and I gave them some $1's to use for tips.

Because I know how messy their rooms at home can get, as soon as we got on the ship and meet the room attendent, I immediatly gave him an extra $20 up front....kind of "I am sorry"!

Great idea! I think I will borrow that idea! :)

I tip $2 for our usual breakfast of a pot of coffee, a fruit plate, muffin and yogurt. (This sounds silly but I'm being serious) Beyond that I tip an extra dollar per item - I figure from there the skill required to get that tray through that narrow door warrants the extra money.

Don't often do much other than breakfast but stick with $2 then also since its generally a small amount of food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a wonderful idea - we are taking our teen grandchildren with us - so I will introduce them to this. As an aside - for those people who have travelled with kids in another room - did you get extra access cards for that room? We are thinking about getting access cards for their room - and access cards for the boys to our room? Can this be done - does anyone know? (Sorry - not trying to steal your wonderful thread)

We are thinking about getting access cards for their room - and access cards for the boys to our room? Can this be done - does anyone know? (Sorry - not trying to steal your wonderful thread)

Yes, just go to the Purser's desk and ask for them.

What a wonderful idea - we are taking our teen grandchildren with us - so I will introduce them to this. As an aside - for those people who have travelled with kids in another room - did you get extra access cards for that room? We are thinking about getting access cards for their room - and access cards for the boys to our room? Can this be done - does anyone know? (Sorry - not trying to steal your wonderful thread)

I got a key to their room, but I didn't give them a key to mine. I wouldn't want them just walking in unannounced! :eek:

When we went on our last cruise on the Ruby with the kids...... they had the room next door. And they tipped $20 when they met our steward.... she did an awesome job.... but the kids were great too... never left a mess... an occ. shirt or something on the floor esp. before dinner would always be folded neatly over the chair when she turned down beds for the night. They had $1's if they put out there morning breakfast card. But since we were on 4... they headed to the International cafe a lot for breakfast, snacks, to meet friends etc. A lot of us parents sat around for a late night snack with the kids chatting some nights.

Thanks for the info. We are going to Hawaii for Christmas 2014, with our 15 year old daughter and 17 year old niece and our younger daughters 7 and 8 years old sharing a cabin. I'm going to put a stack of $1s in their safe with the $2 - $5 directive. They will do this, no problem. They already know to be respectful to people taking care of us when we are out. When they tell the waitress what they want to eat when we go out for dinner, it is always "I would like (menu item) please" while smiling and maintaining eye contact, never "Gimme (menu item)" while staring at the menu or their hands. When food is delivered or drinks are refilled, they always make eye contact, smile, and say "Thank-you".

My wife and I didn't really have a hard time teaching them to do this, we always treat our waiters with respect and for them it is just how things are done.

Archived