Are the Spouse of a Military Retiree Eligible for Military Discount?

My dear hubby, who is retired Navy, is not a huge fan of cruising. He says he's had his fill of ships and traveling :rolleyes:.

He has gone occasionally, but I end up going with my sisters more than not. Am I eligible for Military discounts, even if he doesn't sail?

My dear hubby, who is retired Navy, is not a huge fan of cruising. He says he's had his fill of ships and traveling :rolleyes:.

He has gone occasionally, but I end up going with my sisters more than not. Am I eligible for Military discounts, even if he doesn't sail?

No, the military person has to be cruising to get the discount.

Thanks Bob.

I can't say I've ever thought of it before. Reading the wording associated with the checkbox on the booking, it sounds like widowed spouses are eligible, but it doesn't specifically address us that are spouse traveling alone. It's tempting, but I think I'll keep hubby around even though he's cramping my discount :D.

There is (or was) a pretty significant military discount on my upcoming cruise. Normally I don't even check the prices for military discount, but several on my Roll Call snagged an outstanding price break.

Oh well...

I'd call- my Army DH and I have booked to Promenade cabins and were given the discount on both cabins with one of us booked in each room- now he is going but we both have military ID cards. The customer service person had to read the rules again but said it did apply to both.

Again, not sure if it's different for retired military but couldn't hurt to call.

The rule is that the military person (active duty, separate w/2 years minimum service or retired) has to be booked in the cabin, but it never hurts to ask, as all they can say is no. Hope you get the price break we did!

Here's what it says on the website:

All guests traveling in the same stateroom are eligible to receive the military rate. No additional staterooms, other than the one that is occupied by the military person is eligible for the military rate. Spouses, parents, in-laws, children or other family members or friends are not eligible for the military rate without the eligible military person occupying the stateroom.

I have a military ID card as well, but I'm the spouse, not the retiree, so I'm surprised that they gave you the rate. But I'm glad they did. :)

I just re-read the rules and realized that there are exceptions to whether the military person must take the cruise:

• Spouses of actively deployed, or deceased military personnel, are eligible to book one stateroom as long as the eligible spouse is occupying the stateroom. All other guests traveling in the same stateroom are also eligible for the military rate. Spouse must present the PINK Dependent Military ID upon check-in as proof of eligibility.

Here's the full set of rules:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Special+Cruise+Pricing&faqId=237&faqSubjectId=321&faqType=faq

The rule is that the military person (active duty, separate w/2 years minimum service or retired) has to be booked in the cabin, but it never hurts to ask, as all they can say is no. Hope you get the price break we did!

Here's what it says on the website:

All guests traveling in the same stateroom are eligible to receive the military rate. No additional staterooms, other than the one that is occupied by the military person is eligible for the military rate. Spouses, parents, in-laws, children or other family members or friends are not eligible for the military rate without the eligible military person occupying the stateroom.

I have a military ID card as well, but I'm the spouse, not the retiree, so I'm surprised that they gave you the rate. But I'm glad they did. :)

Jean, the discount is not currently available, but you really got me thinking. Like I said earlier, I usually don't check for the military discount. Now, I will keep checking. I agree, it never hurts to ask!

I'm both over 65 and retired Navy and haven't gotten a discount for any of the cruises we booked - maybe because we are also from Colorado. I think the discounts are probably for specific cruises, not all.

I think the discounts are random. I have seen them but never on a cruise I was booked on and not that many. I don't think us living in Colorado has any effect. Just luck of the draw.:(

I have a military ID which never expire since I am over 75 but without my husband traveling ,there is no discount.

On the other hand when I travel with my friend a widow she can get the discount when its available for the cruise we book.

Archived