Self-tour to Orient Beach vs. Ship's Excursion - opinions please.

bouionice

We'll be in St Martin in early March on Celebrity Reflection and want to get some beach time while there. I've read lots of good posts on taxis to Orient Breach and the restaurants there where you can get chairs, drinks etc. for a reasonable price. My concern is that on the day we are in port there will be a total of 6 ships and potentially close to 18,000 passengers. With that many people in port at the same time will we be better off spending the extra $ to book with the ship in order to guarantee space on the beach and our transport back & forth?

We'll be in St Martin in early March on Celebrity Reflection and want to get some beach time while there. I've read lots of good posts on taxis to Orient Breach and the restaurants there where you can get chairs, drinks etc. for a reasonable price. My concern is that on the day we are in port there will be a total of 6 ships and potentially close to 18,000 passengers. With that many people in port at the same time will we be better off spending the extra $ to book with the ship in order to guarantee space on the beach and our transport back & forth?

We've only been once and we had a rental car. The beach is massive so I don't see a problem finding some beach at at least one of the many restaurants. I believe they have vans lined up to bring the cruise passengers to the beach.

We had such a wonderful day at Orient Beach.

What ever you choose enjoy and relax. No Worries!!

I don't think you will have any problem going to Orient Beach on your own, even with 6 ships in port. We've been there on several cruises and taken a cab on our own every time. Once you get to Orient Beach it's nice to have the freedom to choose the chairs and restaurant area that you like. You can walk the whole length of the beach to pick the spot that suits you best, some areas will be more crowded than others. Getting a cab back has been very easy, just leave yourself enough time at the end of the day. Don't forget to take your beach towels from the ship.

Have been to St Marteen a couple times and also going in early March on day with 6 ships.

We do not plan on going to Orient this time, there are just too many other available options and all very easy to get to.

This time we are going to the West side in the morning, followed by lunch in Marigot and a stop at Maho on the way back to see a couple planes over the beach.

I don't think you will have any problem going to Orient Beach on your own, even with 6 ships in port. We've been there on several cruises and taken a cab on our own every time. Once you get to Orient Beach it's nice to have the freedom to choose the chairs and restaurant area that you like. You can walk the whole length of the beach to pick the spot that suits you best, some areas will be more crowded than others. Getting a cab back has been very easy, just leave yourself enough time at the end of the day. Don't forget to take your beach towels from the ship.

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear that we should be OK to go on our own even with all of the ships in port that day. Do you have a favorite bar/restaurant at Orient? We've read a lot of good things about Orange Fever.

Have been to St Marteen a couple times and also going in early March on day with 6 ships.

We do not plan on going to Orient this time, there are just too many other available options and all very easy to get to.

This time we are going to the West side in the morning, followed by lunch in Marigot and a stop at Maho on the way back to see a couple planes over the beach.

thanks for your input. It's nice to know that there are lots of good options for self-touring. Do you have a particular beach that you like on the west side?

thanks for your input. It's nice to know that there are lots of good options for self-touring. Do you have a particular beach that you like on the west side?

They are all better thank Orient.

Baise Rouge, near Orient is un-crowded with sand as deep as Cororado powder.

Grande Case has the best resturants in the Carribean and they are on the beach.

We are going to Grande Anse, on the extreme northern end (Google it) in the morning, followed by either Grand Case or Friars, before heading south to the da Planes.

Leave plenty of time to get back from Maho with 6 ships in port. Personally for me Maho and Orient are the best places to avoid on a March day with 6 ships in port.

Archived