South Shore Zipline

Suntanz

We are debating whether to do the South Shore Zip & Dip. Has anyone done this? We did Victor Bodden's zipline previously & liked it. Is it similar to the Victor Bodden zipline? How is the beach that South Shore goes to?

I just posted a review on Southshore HIGHLY recommend. We just came back on NCL Star out of New orrleans. I cant comment on Bodden but we did Clip n zip 2 years ago. southshore was way better, better scenery, more platforms, longer lines between platforms, guides went ahead of us and took pics with OUR own cameras we didnt have to but an overpriced disc. guides were awesome. Will go back. Southshore was cheaper than Bodden though thats why i chose them. They dropped us at Fosters which is on West Bay beach afterward and picked us up 2 hours later.

We also took the South Shore Zipline in January 2013. I also recommend it highly. There were 11 zip lines I believe, most of them above the trees. Our guides were very professional and safety conscious, but also a lot of fun, joking and having a good time with us.

On two of the lines we had an option of doing the run with one of the guides. One option was what they called the "Superman" where you and the guide are both harnessed to the zipline. You are in front of the guide and wrap your legs around his back. Then you can let go and do the run with no hands. The guide runs the brake. Looks like you are flying like Superman. The other option is to go upside down. Again the guide runs the brake as you go down the line. I am 58 years old and did both of these. It was great fun. I am not a thrill seeker by nature, but decided to give it a whirl. I'm glad I did, as I will probably never have another opportunity. If you don't want to do it, then you just go down those lines normally.

On the last line, we were able to do a tandem zip and my husband and I went down together.

We took our camera and took pictures and the guides took pictures for us with our camera. There was also a photographer that took some pictures from a couple of the platforms. He was selling the pictures on a CD for $20. He's not on every platform so, even if you think you want to buy his CD, I'd still bring a camera because you will get shots that he can't get.

It was a fun trip.

southshorezipline.jpg.1138b5de7c5568770b1b510872d82a5a.jpg

• 3 months later...

We just got back and the south shore zip and dip package was amazing! The best zip lines ever, very long and fast and high. I even got to do upside down and superman tricks. The beach was beautiful too and the food we bought there amazing. It was one of the best excursions we've been on in ten years. The guys were very nice and even took pictures for us.

OK for those that have done South Shore I have a real serious question. This Zip & Dip beach thing has me worried. The Zip part look great however, an email they sent me back says that they use West Bay beach a Place called Fosters for the Dip (beach) part. I looked Fosters up and the website and pictures make the place look nice...BUT... reading the reviews 95% are 3/5* or less. They talk about robberies, no guards, bad management, poor facilates, and old buildings. The dive shop and restrurant get some good reviews but over all not making me feel comfortable.

If you have been there in the last year let me know your thoughts and opinion.

Thanks.

jaxfl

we just got back from there the other day. The beach is nice and relaxing. Don't worry about it. We had a great time. If you don't like where they drop you, simply move down the beach some to another location. There will be a lot of peddlers trying to get you to buy their trinkets or get a massage. Simply tell them "no" and they will move on. However, my wife got the 30min massage for $10 and loved it. We were never uncomfortable and I would go back in a heartbeat. I can't attest to the robberies, but I never felt unsafe. There are so many people there so it's not like it is secluded or anything. As with most places, just keep an eye on your belongings and you should be alright. Have fun, and go with the flow.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been reading CC a lot to decide on which zipline to do and I think I've come up with the following options that I will get together with my DD20 to make the final decision. Since there is just 2 of us, I have ruled out the private tour aspect.

1) Zip (Extremely Extreme) & Dip w/Pirates - do research on CC to choose between Parrot Tree Plantation & Palm Beach (see my other post with their e-mail response)

2) Do just Extremely Extreme Zip w/Pirates and go back to Mahogany Bay. Maybe lunch & drink on ship since I'm doing Cheers, then enjoy the beach and snorkel at end of pier

3) Zip & Dip w/South Shore. They go to Foster's on West Bay Beach.

Here is my inquiry to South Shore:

Hello! We will be coming to Roatan in August on the Carnival Magic and are interested in your Zip Line Tour and maybe your Zip & Dip. I just wanted to clarify a couple of things.

For the Zip & Dip excursion - what beach would be go to? Would it be West Beach? Is there a certain resort/hotel that we would be taken to?

How much time for each activitity - 1) travel from port 2) zip lining 3) beach time 4) travel back to port?

If we decide just to do the Ziplining, does the $40 online price still include transportation to and from the port?

If our cruise ship does not come to port or if you cancel the tour, I still have to pay 15%? There would be 2 of us so $12 if we book the Zip Line only and $16.50 if we book the Zip & Dip?

How far in advance do we need to book? I believe we are the only ship in the port that day.

Thank you for all your help! We are looking forward to our trip to your country!

Sincerely,

And their response:

First off All our packages listed on-line include roundtrip transportation. Yes. If your ship cancels port you get a full refund minus 15% from the total. These are fees the bank charges me for processing payments etc. You do not have to book until at least 1 week before travelling. The zip-line portion takes about 45 minutes to 1 hr. to complete. The beach is about 2 - 2.5 hrs. long and we take you to a place called Foster's Beach Bar and restaurant located on West Bay Beach, then back to the ship.

Best regards,

KIRBY WARREN

SOUTH SHORE ADVENTURES S.A.

ROATAN BAY ISLANDS, HONDURAS.

My thoughts - I'm hoping this isn't my only cruise to Roatan so if I miss West Beach this time, I will make sure to go next time. Pirates seems to have the longer, higher ziplines and is closer but South Shore includes West Beach for the "dip" part and apparently has a great view of bay on last zip run. Not happy about South Shore's 15% cancellation fee though - would book only 1 week out. Please note that all this information has been gleamed from CC & e-mails with these 2 companies. I don't have any personal experience yet. I will be sure and post in August when we return.

Anyone question my logic? What do you think about the choices I have narrowed it down to in my last post?

Thank you to everyone that has posted about their personal experience!!! It really is a great help to those of us that have never been.:)

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to take my daughter on a zipline adventure since she will be turning 18 during our cruise. Will I be able to find a zipline adventure that does not end with a trip to the beach? My DH and 3 younger kids will be on the ship and I would rather go back with them and maybe just walk around at the port.

I hope this doesn't count as a new thread topic if so sorry.

I would love to take my daughter on a zipline adventure since she will be turning 18 during our cruise. Will I be able to find a zipline adventure that does not end with a trip to the beach? My DH and 3 younger kids will be on the ship and I would rather go back with them and maybe just walk around at the port.

There is a company Bodden tours that has just the Zipline tour and no beach, however there is also a Carnival ZipLine right as you get off teh ship. The name is Clip and Zip. Do a search on this forum or google/yahoo and you will find info.

My DD is 20 and we are definitely going ziplining but are trying to decide on the beach part. The 2 places we are looking at are Pirates of the Caribbean and South Shore. Both of them offer just a ziplining excursion. You don't have to do the beach part with them.

If you are going to do a beach then doing it as a zip & dip package $65 pp is cheaper than breaking it up. The taxi from the port to West Bay is about $35 by itself. JMHO.

Yes, if my DD & I decide to do both, we will be booking a Zip & Dip. I was just letting RARcruise know that these companies do offer just a Zip excursion since that is what she was interested in.

• 4 weeks later...

Just back on Sunday from the Carnival Magic. Wonderful cruise!!

Definitely recommend South Shore Zipline!! Lots of Zip runs - too many to count - guides said there were 11. Long, high lines included!! Great guides! Great ziplines! Felt completely safe!

Great narrative tour as you travel to and from. We did the Zip & Dip with South Shore. It was me and my DD20 and a family of 4. Driver took us one way to South Shore for the ziplining part. Had 2 guides take care of the 6 of us. Lockers for rent for $2 while you are ziplining. They tell you to leave camera there but we took ours (just be sure you have a way to hold on to it!). They will have CD with all your family's pictures on it for $10 but we took our own pictures ourselves. They only took a few pictures on 1 or 2 lines.

Same driver as before took us to Foster's for "dip" part. He stayed onsite and asked when we wanted to go back. Be sure you understand difference between ship time and Roatan time. We coordinated with other family to head back at 3:00 ship time which was 2:00 shore time. Supposed to be back on ship at 5:30. Got back in time where we thought about dropping our stuff off and walking over to Mahogany Bay but by the time we got to cabin we blew it off.

Foster's - Got a free drink and then bought an appetizer - Fried Conch. Changed clothes in restroom then DD & I walked down (left) to end of beach to reefs to snorkel. Easy walk. We had our own snorkel equipment but I saw places to rent it but I didn't check prices. Reefs to snorkel right off shore but it was tight and a little tricky to find your way around to not disturb reef. We had fun though. Walked back to Foster's and laid on our floats we had for snorkeling in the water and sunbathed. Bought T-shirts $5-$7 at lady's table on left facing Foster's from water. Magnets for $3-$5.

Lots of vendors up and down the beach but they easily took no thank you for an answer.

Driver took up back to dock a different way (same distance) so we could see a different side of island. Lots of information too!

All and all great day with South Shore's Ziplining and transportation to beach and to/from ship. Oh - though you have to meet them outside gates at dock - they are allowed to take you all the way back to dock when you returned.

Will be happy to answer any questions!

• 2 weeks later...
OK for those that have done South Shore I have a real serious question. This Zip & Dip beach thing has me worried. The Zip part look great however, an email they sent me back says that they use West Bay beach a Place called Fosters for the Dip (beach) part. I looked Fosters up and the website and pictures make the place look nice...BUT... reading the reviews 95% are 3/5* or less. They talk about robberies, no guards, bad management, poor facilates, and old buildings. The dive shop and restrurant get some good reviews but over all not making me feel comfortable.

Thanks.

Foster's is NOT a 5* facility. If you are looking for the nicest facility, my research would indicate that would be Infinity Bay which is an easy walk down the beach from FOsters. I think for the brief time you will be at Foster's --- unless you are very particular --- it would be acceptable.

The safety issues on Roatan are quite serious - but my reading news sites and forums online seem to indicate the majority of the problems occur for people vacationing on Roatan for a week or whatever --- NOT affecting cruise ship passengers. In other words, most of the safety issues seem to occur at night. We visited Roatan as cruisers in January 2013 and I wanted to go back for a 2 week vacation - fell in LOVE with the island and people and the snorkeling is SURREAL. I feel that there are too many safety concerns at this point for my disabled dh and myself to enjoy a 2 week trip, so I simply booked another cruise for December 2013 that stops in Roatan. Have to be content with that for now! Many regular cruise critic posters vacation regularly in Roatan and seem to love it, fyi. I'm sure they will chime in for you!

That being said... caution in EVERY country around the world is wise. And yes, there can be problems even in the USA - I know. However, reading multiple reports of people getting robbed in the middle of the night while locked in their hotel room is NOT a good place for me to relax!

Archived