Best swamp tour in NOLA

Ontariotrekker

I've checked all the companies' websites but would appreciate feedback. We will be there in June and I know the gators will be more active then. thanks Shar

Dr. Wagners Honey Island Swamp tour is really good, we have done the tour in May and Sept. We also went with Cajun Pride in Nov, it was a boring tour. Cajun Encounters gets lots of good reviews.

• 4 months later...

If you haven't sailed yet you should go to Cajun Pride Swap Tours in Laplace Louisiana. It's by far the BEST tour ever! They have very active gators and other animals and great tour operators. It's also very reasonably priced.

I've done Cajun Encounters and while we had a great time (we did it on the coldest day of the year and it was FREEZING but we were prepared) our boat kept getting stuck in different places and eventually they had to send a rescue boat. If I had to go again I'd probably pick a different company. I know stuff like that happens but the guide didn't seem like he cared much.

• 2 months later...

Honey Island Swamp tour vs. Cajun Pride Swamp Tour

I am so confused, these are two I was looking at. Another poster said Cajun Pride was boring? The youtube videos and photos online show guest holding gators and it looked more entertaining than the others so far. I am confused, I don't want to send my DH and DS on a boring tour as it is his 12th birthday and had to suffer last year though NO cheer competition and deemed it the worst birthday ever. He is not even looking forward to going back to NO so I am trying to make is super fun this time. (DH dad passed away a few days prior so DH couldn't come with us. DS was stuck with handing out with the girls from his sister's cheer gym all weekend.)

Can someone please tell me what else is involved with the tours. I see some are just like 2 hours long. I was hoping for at least 4-6 hours (to include lunch, possibly on site). If needed I can book a swamp tour and an air boat tour back-to-back. Or is January too cold for airboat tours, it was cold last year walking around.

I am looking for some suggestions.

That is a tough question. I think the reason you are getting mixed reviews is because there are several variables that can make or break a swamp tour. Depending on the month, you may not see any alligators or may just see the top of a nose in a distance. The last tour we took our kids on was in November on a cool day and only saw one in the distance. It was boring for the kids. The guide did have a baby gator in a box that he pulled out toward the end of the tour as a last ditch effort to make the kids happy. January is not the best time to plan a swamp tour regardless of what the tour company may tell you. Alligators are tough to find when temps drop below 70 degrees. There is a small change you may spot some in January if we get some warmer days in January but I would not count on it. If it is a sunny day, they may come out to sun themselves. January in New Orleans can be very cold or warm but will most likely be in the 60's.

On another note, if you want just the beauty of the swamp, then go. It is beautiful, especially at certain times of the day (dawn, dusk). Also, I would read about specific tour guides, ones that can make any tour fun.

Airboat tours would probably be much more exciting for a 12 year old but it could be too cold. The weather is unpredictable in Louisiana.

About tour length, I personally think 4-6 hours is way too long. Two to three hours should be ideal.

That is a tough question. I think the reason you are getting mixed reviews is because there are several variables that can make or break a swamp tour. Depending on the month, you may not see any alligators or may just see the top of a nose in a distance. The last tour we took our kids on was in November on a cool day and only saw one in the distance. It was boring for the kids. The guide did have a baby gator in a box that he pulled out toward the end of the tour as a last ditch effort to make the kids happy. January is not the best time to plan a swamp tour regardless of what the tour company may tell you. Alligators are tough to find when temps drop below 70 degrees. There is a small change you may spot some in January if we get some warmer days in January but I would not count on it. If it is a sunny day, they may come out to sun themselves. January in New Orleans can be very cold or warm but will most likely be in the 60's.

On another note, if you want just the beauty of the swamp, then go. It is beautiful, especially at certain times of the day (dawn, dusk). Also, I would read about specific tour guides, ones that can make any tour fun.

Airboat tours would probably be much more exciting for a 12 year old but it could be too cold. The weather is unpredictable in Louisiana.

About tour length, I personally think 4-6 hours is way too long. Two to three hours should be ideal.

Thanks for the info. We have gators in our backyard, so he has seen them, just not being fed, etc. Ours just float around or sunbathe. Ours also are not very big. Once they hit around 5-6 feet someone in the neighborhood calls the alligator hotline to have them removed (we live in a bedroom community of Tampa on a conservation lot). Just the tour of the swamp might be good and educational. It was cold last year for sure. The swamp tour itself doesn't need to be 4-6 hours but was looking for them to be out of the hotel for 4-6 hours. Otherwise, if they return early, DS will resort to playing video games in the room and DH will walk over to the cheer competition.

I thought if they were headed out to the swamp they should also at minimum eat lunch out there. My son likes the alligator tail sold on a stick in the French Market. He didn't particularly care for the the Alligator Sauce Piquante at Muriel's. DH loves to try new dishes and so it would be great if they found a good place for lunch.

• 4 weeks later...

We were at Cajun Pride in June and the animals were very active. The gators are plentiful and large! We had family with us that had visited several gator tours in Louisiana and Florida and they said this was by far the best tour. They feed the gators and the gators jump out of the water. It was amazing. You get to hold a small gator and get pictures. It is the best and we'll be going back again in March.

Malisa

Archived