"Doin it again!" Alaska on the Pearl this time:)

jwoap

Hey everyone -

Just call me Lucy Lurker - I read and read but don't post much until about 6 months before I decide to cruise.

Well -- yours truly is turning *cough* the big Five-Oh this year and my husband asked me what I would like to do for this monumental birthday and I said:

"Go to Alaska again"

And so we are - this time on the Pearl in July.

Couple of questions for you seasoned Alaska NCL cruisers:

We have only cruised in August and September. Is July much different weather wise?

This will be the first time to Glacier Bay -- do you really get to get up and personal with a glacier? Last time was a bust because of the icebergs and both times we turned around and had to head back for safety reasons.

Any other side trips we should take?

Big differences between the Star and the Pearl? One nicer than the other? I think one is older than the other.

First time we cruised we booked a balcony and they called and said "Sorry we gave your room away, please let us make it right by upgrading you to a Penthouse" We didn't say no of course and the experience was amazing. This time out my sister is coming so we have booked a family suite with two bedrooms so she can have her own space. Is this second room going to be okay for an adult? Or should she get her own cabin?

Do we know of any sort of promotions for NCL Pearl like they did a couple of years ago with the orange juice tops where you got shipboard credit?

Thank you so much I am super excited of course :):):)

We were on the Pearl last June with the Glacier Bay itinerary.

The difference between the Pearl and the Star for me is the Spinnaker. On Pearl the Spinnaker is right up front - and THE best place for viewing most everything - especially when it's chilly outside. Unless of course you have a balcony - and that is the other best place. We haven't been on Star since they put suites where Spinnaker used to be on her.

As for Glacier Bay - YES! You want to be up early. You want to be near the rail, on your balcony or in some other spot for viewing. It is NOT to be missed. On our voyage, in Glaicer Bay there were some black wolves on the starboard side - which the rangers announced and most everyone ran to that side to see. As soon as they did - the Margerie Glacier on the port side started calving. You will want to stake out your seat -wherever you choose - early that morning. I believe there were even some people who slept in the Spinnaker as they had blankets and pillows with them. Those comfy loungers are ideal for just taking it all in.

You will want to visit the Alaska ports of call boards here. There is a wealth of information there.

Alaska is a once in a life time - although we've loved it so much we've done it twice. And, hope to go again.

July in Alaska can be warm or chilly. Be prepared for both. You can always purchase warm clothes in port. You will want to layer. And you will want to be prepared for rain. Though we heard the week prior to us temps were in the 80's in Juneau.

Don't forget your camera - more memory than you can imagine you'll need, and binoculars.

Enjoy every second!

I was on the Pearl in late June 2012 - our third time to AK and first time to Glacier Bay - so in Juneau we took the Tracy Arm Explorer tour and spent all afternoon on a small boat getting up close to both Sawyer Glaciers - had a wonderful time. We had done the whale watching on our past two cruises so this was a no brainer for us.

In Skagway I did a train trip through Chillkoot where I rode the train all the way to Carcross and then had a bus ride back to Skagway. It was fun and educational to see the townsite of Bennett and learn even more about he sampeders. Also saw Emerald Lake and the Carcross Desert.

My DW and MIL slept in and rode the afternoon train to the summit and back.

You will enjoy Glacier Bay - you can get a better idea of what to expect here http://www.nps.gov/glba/planyourvisit/enjoying-your-cruise-ship-visit.htm

For more ideas on what to do in ports - http://cruiseportinsider.com/index.html

As for the Pearl - she is one fantastic ship with a great crew (at least back then) we had Prem as the Hotel Manager and Julie as the CD.

Enjoy

Archived