The definitive Cheers program Thread

pbsteve

I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone, so I apologize for my word choice. I stand by the concept of what I'm saying though. I'm looking at it from the perspective of someone who as already booked the cruise and airfare. Comparing a Celebrity cruise leaving the same time as the Carnival cruise I already booked is a $1200 difference. You could see where it would not make sense to me. If you have more flexibility, you may indeed be able to find something that is somewhat closer in price range, especially if you choose a lesser ship of a competitor in comparison to something like the Breeze, which I will be sailing.

With regards to the 1200 difference, that would be eaten up by the fact that 4 people would need to purchase the Cheers program at 49.95/day x 6 days (or 8 days since I don't know the length of your Breeze cruise) The difference would be 1380 over a 6 day cruise and 1838 over 8 days. In both instances, the Celebrity cruise is cheaper with their current promotion versus the Breeze.

By the way, in my original posting, I was comparing the Breeze, which is Carnival's newest ship and the Reflection, which is Celebrity's newest. I have been on 17 Carnival cruises and my favorite one was on the Breeze in January. But if you're implying that the Carnival Breeze is a better ship than the Celebrity Reflection....you're living in a fantasy land. It is certainly not a "lesser ship of a competitor" as you so aptly stated. Read the reviews on CC.....all 5 of the S Class ships in their fleet will outshine the Breeze in just about any category except for the comedy club and the piano bar on the Breeze. I know this for 100% fact, since I have already sailed on the Breeze and I have done extensive research regarding my next two cruises on Celebrity and their recent promotions constitute more value than anything that Carnival can offer.

Your OP said that you wanted to "keep price in perspective". You need to factor in the total cost whether it be in an inside, ocean view or balcony cabin and then add in the cost of the Cheers program and then at that point determine whether Celebrity or Carnival is cheaper. If Carnival is still cheaper at this point, then that particular cruise represents a better value for you. But more often than not, after factoring in the extra 57.45 pp/per day versus the free package on Celebrity, I believe that Celebrity has substantially more value, and that is all I was trying to state in my previous posts mentioning the Celebrity product and the great promotion that they had going on and still do through 6/19/13.

My last post on this, but that price differential is for 2 people. We would only have to buy 2 packages.

I definitely understand your point of view. It just doesn't work at all in my specific scenario.

You mentioned 300+ dollars in your OP, and then you mentioned 1200 dollars, so by dividing the numbers, I had assumed that it was 4 people involved. So....why are you backing down from an intelligent discussion? You said it was going to cost you 1200 dollars more and if there are only 2 of you involved, then that would be a 600 dollar per person difference, which is certainly more than 300+ that you had originally stated. So, could you please get your facts straight? If you stated which Breeze cruise you were on then we could crunch the numbers and have an intelligent discussion. At that point I would know whether it was a 6 or 8 day sailing and I would be happy to compare balcony numbers on your sailing with those from Celebrity. All I want you to do is provide something substantial to back up your statement and not be a drive by poster that makes hollow statements and can't back them up with concrete facts.

Sorry if this has been discussed but didn't see it in this thread.

Will this work under this scenario?

3 people in group. 2 in one cabin and third sailing alone. Person sailing alone will be going to GS to switch cabins with one of the people in the 2 person cabin.

Can person in single cabin buy the cheers program and then go to GS and switch without anyone else being made to buy the program?

You mentioned 300+ dollars in your OP, and then you mentioned 1200 dollars, so by dividing the numbers, I had assumed that it was 4 people involved. So....why are you backing down from an intelligent discussion? You said it was going to cost you 1200 dollars more and if there are only 2 of you involved, then that would be a 600 dollar per person difference, which is certainly more than 300+ that you had originally stated. So, could you please get your facts straight? If you stated which Breeze cruise you were on then we could crunch the numbers and have an intelligent discussion. At that point I would know whether it was a 6 or 8 day sailing and I would be happy to compare balcony numbers on your sailing with those from Celebrity. All I want you to do is provide something substantial to back up your statement and not be a drive by poster that makes hollow statements and can't back them up with concrete facts.

My first post was half cocked, so

I'll apologize a 3rd time. The 2nd post was the real numbers. Although, after I looked it up to double check again this morning, it doesn't actually work since the celebrity cruise doesn't have a matching date(the one I price checked was a week after), so I'm stuck.

I just thought it would be fun to active on this forum, but I'll go back to a reader only. I don't like having to battle after giving an opinion.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

I'll apologize a 3rd time. The 2nd post was the real numbers. Although, after I looked it up to double check again this morning, it doesn't actually work since the celebrity cruise doesn't have a matching date(the one I price checked was a week after), so I'm stuck.

I just thought it would be fun to active on this forum, but I'll go back to a reader only. I don't like having to battle after giving an opinion.

It's really sad that this forum is this way. This forum is VERY informational and helpful but it sucks that when you have a different opinion, people feel the need to jump down your throat and try to demean you.

Edited by LEXIpoo

It's really sad that this forum is this way. This forum is VERY informational and helpful but it sucks that when you have a different opinion, people feel the need to jump down your throat and try to demean you.

Here here LEXI

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Forums mobile app

Here here LEXI

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Forums mobile app

Does anyone have photos of the cruise?

I see a lot of posts in this thread complaining about the price and talking about going on Celebrity or RCCL instead for thier much better drinking program. Maybe I'm not a good bargain hunter, but looking at those lines I'd pay another $300+ per person to get an equivalent balcony cabin. Lets keep price in perspective. Carnival presents amazing value. Yeah, the Cheers program may be a rip off for many and I'm not sure if I'll get it, but simply saying switch cruise lines for a better deal is foolish and misleading.

Lexi....all I was doing was mentioning the facts about a great promotion that Celebrity was offering and trying to spread the word on this thread about it. I believe in paying it forward and all I was trying to do was offer an alternative to those people that were fed up with the 15 drink limit and the cost increase involved with the Cheers program. kg21rules made a blanket statement that switching to another cruise line would be "foolish and misleading" and then proceeded to provide mixed up numbers in his subsequent posts. I was not trying to demean him or jump down his throat, all I wanted was for him to provide solid facts and back them up. There was nothing in the discussion with regards to opinion, all I was doing was comparing the bottom line costs involved comparing a Carnival cruise with the Cheers program versus a Celebrity cruise with their included Classic drinks package. All I was stating was the current Celebrity promotion was a great deal and when you factored in all of the monies involved, it represented more value than what Carnival is now offering.

Many cruisers have blinders on when it comes to their cruising choice, whether it be Carnival, Royal, or any of the others and all I was doing was trying to let people know about another option to save them money. If someone is going to call this "foolish and misleading", then let the battle begin and we'll have an intelligent discussion back and forth. Unfortunately kg21rules has decided to become a lurker and that is his right, just like it is my right to try to educate some people that have Carnival blinders on that there might be another option out there that will save them money and at the same time you'll be able to sail on a higher quality ship.

I really don't think SNJCruisers was being demeaning; just trying to provide as much data as possible to compare. I see lots of demeaning posts here but those tend to consist of personal attacks, not facts. SNJCruisers pointed out the Celebrity promo earlier this year on this thread which got me looking at cruises through them and I got a great price on a cruise for next year, so I am thankful for the info. I didn't think I'd be able to cruise for another few years but here I am counting down until January on a beautiful ship with great itinerary and drinks included. Added bonus...no smoking on Celebrity balconies so I can sit out there all day smoke free with my drinks and extensive room service for the same price as previous Carnival cruises.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

I don't have "blinders" on as my friend attacked me with. Ive been on 2 other lines besides Carnival. I'm just stating facts. $1400 on the Breeze for 2 people. Comparable Celebrity around the same time is $2600. Those are facts. It's does not make sense for my situation. I'm not saying it will never work if you book at different times, it just doesn't work for me. My whole point is that it's not always possible to go with another line.

Cheers!

Edited by kg21rules

Good info, pbsteve.

When Carnival announced their Cheers program a while back, I created a spreadsheet to help me decide if the program made sense for us (yep, nerd here :p). I included some of our typical adult beverages, but the spreadsheet certainly does not include every drink possible. It is based on two over-21 adults in the cabin. So I calculate the total cost of what the purchases would add up to without the program. This can help decide if Cheers would make sense even if one person doesn't drink their $49.40 (including gratuity) cost of the program.

Is it possible to attach spreadsheets to a post? I'll try and see what happens. Assuming I'm able to attach it, please understand that the spreadsheet may not be perfect (all prices may not be correct) and may not suit your needs. As they say - your mileage may vary.

Thanks for posting the spreadsheet. That's very helpful. I think we will try the program on our next Carnival cruise.

From what was going on during my last cruise...no one was getting cut off, even then ones puking all over the pool deck, even the ones canon balling into the pool on top of children, even the ones with the titty bong, insisting everyone use it with them, even the ones doing the striptease during the hair chest contest (apparently they miss understood what hair was being judged):eek:...lol

I saw many people sharing a card because by 10am they had already had their daily limit. Granted, the program was very new and had just opened up for this ship...hopefully they have a handle on it now because it was reminding me of why carnival used to have such a bad reputation.

Don't get me wrong, if you are a responsible drinker, it is actually a good program but the staff really needed to be a bit more trained for the events that took place.

Well sh@#! I need to sign up for more cruises you go on if thats what you all manage to get into! :)

Anyone know why the Legend and the Sunshine are still at the lower price and for how long this will be the case? :confused:

They are in Europe. I imagine the price will go up as soon as they hi the U.S. coast.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been on the splendor out of New York and had a problem when they reached the 15 drink max.....is they ways around it?..... And can I order a bucket of beer and not have it effect my 15 drink max and I am willing to pay the full price for it.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

There's been a lot of cheers threads, I've even made one, I figured if we could get all the FAQ in one place, we could help keep questions from being answered all day every day over and over. I've pulled these questions from existing threads from users, including myself. Answers confirmed by Carnival before posting (as of 2/18/2012). If I missed anything, please PM me, or ask, and I have no problem calling carnival to find out their answer and adding it to the list.

FAQ:

QUESTION: How much will I pay for Cheers?

A: You will pay $49.40USD For EVERY person in your cabin who is over 21 years old, EACH night you are on a cruise.

This means even if your cabin mate doesn't drink, you will still pay for them to be on the cheers program. Keep in mind that you do NOT pay for Disembarkment day, and you can sign up on the second day on board, paying for only that day through the last day, but you will be charged for each drink you order before you signed up separately.

EXAMPLE #1: You and your wife are cruising on the Freedom, on a 6 night cruise, and sign up for Cheers on the first day. You will pay $592.80 for the program. ($494 if you sign up on the second day)

EXAMPLE #2: You sail with your 19 year old daughter on a 6 night cruise, and sign up you pay $296.40. ($247.00 if you sign up on the second day)

QUESTION: Do I get charged for DisEmbarkment day/ Embarkment day?

A: You will NOT be charged for Disembarkement day. You will be charged for Embarkment day if you purchase the program on embarkment day.

QUESTION: Can I get this on Every Cruise?

A: NO Currently the program is available on the following ships only:

Carnival Breeze

Carnival Conquest

Carnival Dream

Carnival Freedom

Carnival Glory

Carnival Legend

Carnival Liberty

Carnival Magic

Carnival Miracle

Carnival Pride

Carnival Splendor

Carnival Valor

Carnival Victory

(last list update 12/31/2012)

QUESTION 3: My Wife is Pregnant, will Carnival make an exception since she can't drink?

A: NO. Carnival will make no exceptions for any reason, including medical, EVERYONE in the cabin over 21 will be charged for the program.

QUESTION: Is it worth it?

A: (thanks to Vinman13) Depends on how much you drink.

If you are a straight domestic beer drinker ($5.75/drink plus gratuity) it will take almost 8 beers (in a day) to break even. Then you will basically get beers 9 through 15 in a day free. Saving you up to $49.79/day.

If you are a Grey Goose Martini drinker ($9.95/drink plus gratuity) it will take less than 5 (in a day) to break even. Then you will get martinis 6 through 15 in a day free. Saving you up to $122.24/day.

QUESTION: Is it truly unlimited drinks?

A: NO, you are limited to 15 drinks per 24 hour period. The 24 hour period is 6am to 6am the next morning, so your 15 drinks don't restart at midnight, but at 6am the next morning. IN ADDITION, Carnival has stated that the staff has been trained to cut you off if you get too drunk, and they will. You are also limited to 1 drink every 5 minutes.

QUESTION: I'm a Bears fan and can put away a case of beer on a Sunday, Can I still get more drinks after 15?

A: YES, but you will have to pay for them, as long as you are not too drunk, As a Bears fan, you should be fine up to 30 or so beers a day.

QUESTION: Can I drink anything I want?

A: NO, Beverages Included In The Program:

All spirits (including cocktails), as well as beer and wine by the glass with a $10.00 or lower menu price.

Sodas and non-alcoholic frozen cocktails.

25% discount off the menu price for bottled water

25% discount off the menu price for spirits or wine above $10.00 per drink.

25% discount off the menu price wine and champagne by the bottle.

Beverages Excluded From The Program:

Non-alcoholic beverages other than soda and non-alcoholic frozen cocktails.

Beverages promoted and sold in souvenir glasses.

Bottles of liquor.

Bottled water (offered at a 25% discount).

Beverages offered at gangway while debarking.

Beverages offered through room service as well as mini bars and/or other in-stateroom beverage programs.

The sharing of cocktails and floaters.

Buckets of beer, pitchers of beer, and beer tubes.

Wine and champagne by the bottle (offered at a 25% discount).

All spirits or wine above $10.00 per drink (offered at a 25% discount).

Beverages offered through enomatic wine machines.

Coffee beverages and food items.

All other beverage-related programs including cookbooks and bar books, beverage seminars and classes, as well as cigars.

QUESTION: Can I order a bucket of beer and have it count as 4 drinks?

A: NO, one drink at a time with at least 5 minutes between drinks. However as many have stated, you can ask for unopened drinks, and save them up yourself.

QUESTION: Is soda Included?

A: YES. "bottomless Bubbles" is included in the program, which gives you unlimited soda (6.00 Per Person/ Per Day Value). Other non-alcoholic drinks also do not count towards your limit.

QUESTION: Do soda's count towards the 15 drinks?

A: NO, Sodas are truly unlimited and do not count towards your 15 drink minimum.

QUESTION: Can I get drinks for me and my cabin mate from the bar at the same time?

A: NO, Everyone must get their own drink so they can tell if one person is too drunk, and needs to be cut off. (carnival's answer)

QUESTION: Can I get specialty coffee, or redbull/monster/bawls/other energy drink, with this program?

A: NO, the program does not include those beverages. It also does not include bottled water(25% discount applies to bottled water not in the mini-bar), mini-bar, or room service drinks.

QUESTION: Does cheers work on Half Moon Cay?

A: Yes, cheers applies while you are on Half Moon Cay, but no other port.

QUESTION: Are tips and Taxes included

A: TIPs are included. TAXES while in US waters (IE embarkement day, key west stops, etc) Will be added onto your S&S Account. The package itself is NOT taxed, you will only pay tax on individual drinks in US waters regardless of when you buy the program.

Very good information thanks

If I buy the program on the 2nd day... Does it charge me for embarkation day?

I didn't think so, but someone wrote it on another post. I'm planning on drinking my allowed wine and my BV liquor the first day to avoid the extra taxes and such.... But if I'm going to be charged for it anyway, I might as well just wait until international waters.

I responded to your question in the other thread. The answer is no.

Although the above repost is helpful it is also outdated. Its from when they started the program and have since modified it. Example: no HMC included, no drinks after 15, you cant even buy them etc.

WoW What an interesting 33 page read. Thanks to all the informative posts. I am leaning more to get the package than when I started reading this and will be back to give our mileage report from our Breeze sailing next week.

Best

Just got off the conquest. Here's my .02. Yes they will back charge you for the first day and credit your drinks. No they will not sell you drinks once you hit the limit. That is what I was told by the guy at the table they had set up the first day of the cruise selling the program.

We wound up not doing cheers and actually came out better. Mainly because we didn't drink that much on the port days and DW didn't drink much at night. Plus, I liked being able to buy buckets of beer and not having to deal with seperate accounts.

If you are a beer drinker at 6.61 for a domestic 16 ounce you have to drink 9 beers a day to get even. If you are wine drinkers, like to drink the fruity drinks or mixed drinks and you both drink heavy then it will pay for itself.You can bet CCL has done the math.If you are doing the math and not sure it's worth it it probably won't be.

Edited by cruzincajun

Just got off the conquest. Here's my .02. Yes they will back charge you for the first day and credit your drinks. No they will not sell you drinks once you hit the limit. That is what I was told by the guy at the table they had set up the first day of the cruise selling the program.

We wound up not doing cheers and actually came out better. Mainly because we didn't drink that much on the port days and DW didn't drink much at night. Plus, I liked being able to buy buckets of beer and not having to deal with seperate accounts.

If you are a beer drinker at 6.61 for a domestic 16 ounce you have to drink 9 beers a day to get even. If you are wine drinkers, like to drink the fruity drinks or mixed drinks and you both drink heavy then it will pay for itself.You can bet CCL has done the math.If you are doing the math and not sure it's worth it it probably won't be.

I purchased the cheers on day two, no I was not charged for day one. If you don't drink that much then obviously the program is not for you. With a good waiter you can buy buckets of beer, I did. I drank beer 99% of the time, I saved all my receipts, and we saved money. This was on the Conquest.

It is a shame that Carnival does not make exceptions to the "everyone in the cabin" rule. I am traveling with my parents, who are 87 and 90, and diabetic. There is no way they can drink, and I am sure I am going to need to!

LOL, I hear you :)

It is a shame that Carnival does not make exceptions to the "everyone in the cabin" rule. I am traveling with my parents, who are 87 and 90, and diabetic. There is no way they can drink, and I am sure I am going to need to!

That's my complaint about the program as well. I wish they would do away with the policy that every adult in a cabin must purchase it.