Chops - Is it worth it?

dthogue

Your $30 per person fee includes gratuity, so no need to tip extra. Of course, if you thought the service was exceptional, you could at your discretion. The tips from MTD are completely separate and should be considered a sunk cost, you do not get credit back should you choose not to eat in the main dining room.

I think $30 for a good steak, sides, appetizers, and dessert is worth the money. No decent steakhouse in your hometown will give you that kind of value.

thank you labeachcomber....appreciate the detailed explanation....I asked 3 different RCL phone CSR's and none could give me the answer...again CC members know the answers.....:)

We will be on FOS in April and I would like to try to Chops. With all the "free" food I'm hesitant to spend another $30.00/pp for dinner. Please tell me "Is it Worth" the extra expense? Also, my DD age 14 will be with us, when I go to make reservations it allows me to book her as well - I would have thought this was an "adult" only dining experience? Am I correct that she will be allowed to dine with us?

Thanks,

Tammy

We went to Chops on our wedding night with our 10 sailing guests, and it was the best meal we had for the entire 12 nights.

Each time I ordered steak in the MDR it wasn't cooked enough (I'm a well done girl). In Chops it was cooked to perfection!! My new husband and I had the filet mignon, and they 'butterflied' mine to ensure it was cooked thoroughly. It was beautiful!!

The brought out 2 of each side/accompaniment so we didn't have to order any of them.

Although we had purchased a wedding cake onboard, we had technically paid for starter, main and dessert so all of us ordered dessert too!! They were amazing- biggest slice of red velvet cake I've ever seen!

John, the cruise director came past to wish us well and bought us a round of drinks and coffees too which was a lovely touch!!

Book it and enjoy xxx

Personally, I feel like the quality of Chops has gone downhill. On my last cruise, multiple tables had to send back meat that was overcooked - ours was one of them. Somehow, I would think that the chef in Chops should know the difference between medium rare and well done.

We usually get the filet, but in the past couple of years, I noticed that the filets are coming out completely dry - almost like they were pre-cooked and all the juice ran out - and now they were just reheating them. Maybe it has something to do with the way they are defrosted. I don't know. They're just not as good as they used to be.

They also seem to have cut back on staff a little, so the service is not quite what it used to be. The worst is on Oasis and Allure where they seem to consistently overbook, and the service and food suffer tremendously. Those ships are the only times that I've had an unpleasant experience in Chops.

Yes, it is better than the main dining room. I just find myself questioning the $30. I strongly prefer Portofino or Giovanni's Table over Chops when they're available and they're only $20. (And you can get the same filet there and it's usually better.)

So, yes I'm still going. But only with the BOGO coupon or if my travel agent has paid for it.

Archived