Chops - Is it worth it?

dthogue

We went to chops last year for my birthday . It was great the steak melted in my mouth the soup was very tasty . Service was outstanding We are looking forward to another wonderful meal there this cruise also .

We went to Chops on formal night which just so happened to be my husbands 50th birthday. For us, it was an extra special night, the food and service was great. I had question on the appetizers and he brought out both plates so I could try them. Both were great. Steak filet very good. They sang Happy Birthday and gave him a piece of chocolate cake. Well worth it.

Now we also tried Giovannis, I did not care for this at all. I love Italian food, but I was expecting more I guess-not food, plenty of that, just better choices.

• 2 months later...
i don't think it is worth it. Remember that it is a dining surcharge, meaning that you already paid a certain amount for an included meal that night. So just to knock some numbers around, let's say that MDR meal has cost you $15 (just picking a number). You are forfeiting that $15 and paying an additional 30, so the actual cost of the meal is $45.

While the sides and desserts are good, the meat itself is just average. it is comparable to mid-grade land-based steak places. Which translates to frozen rather than fresh, and select or choice rather than prime beef. It is certainly not the "best steak at sea" or anywhere else.

For me, if I want some Outback during my cruise, I go to Chops. But that doesn't happen too often. it seems to coincide with those cruises for which my travel agent has given me free specialty dining. (:

Excellent response.

We had a voucher for a free dinner at Chops on the Splendour earlier this month.

I thought the service was great. Very nice pace, great attention from the waiter, and the view was spectacular.

The food, on the other hand, was very, very average. We both had filets that were average. We've had better steaks at mid-tier (Longhorn, etc.) and high end (Ruth's Chris) steakhouses. I found the steaks comparable to something from Outback or Applebee's.

The sides were OK, but nothing spectacular. My wife's green beans were very good, but I had Parmesan potatoes that looked/tasted like frozen potatoes that someone threw a Kraft Singles cheese slice on them and put them under a heat lamp.

The desserts were very good, however.

All in all, is it worth $30 extra per person? I'd say no. With a voucher? Definitely worth it.

To me it is really worth it. I have been a fan of Chops since it opened. I also love Portofino, Giavoni's, Izzumi, 150 Central, and certain foods at the sea food shack, but I'm not a fan of Johnny Rockets or Ritas. To me they are not worth it. Food is an individual taste.

I tried Chops on Enchantment in June. I ordered a Medium Rare Filet. It came more medium well. I was miffed when the waiter suggest I look at it under the light that it really is Medium Rare. It was so dry. They cooked me a new one but it came mooing. They put it back on for a few minutes and it was really good. It was an okay experience, will think about going again. Oh and they brought us free champagne for our trouble. Right outside the door was the captains reception! Don't think it was anything special, just snagged a few off the tray before they sent them out to the captains party. We will try it again, maybe on another ship. I have had over cooked Chops filet in the MDR on Enchantment too. I had an amazing Chops filet in the MDR on Freedom.

I think Chops is worth it. DH thinks it's boring, takes way too long, and the food isn't that good. Last cruise he said he was done with Chops. Surprise! We're dining at Chops on Oasis as a gift, so he'll have to grin and bear it.

kind of confused and not the first time so I will ask.....:eek:

cruising next week and already signed up for MTD for our family of 5 (2 adults and 3 children ages 18, 13, 12)...so as I understand it our meal tips are already pre-paid....if we do eat at Chops I will be paying $30.00 per person (5 x $30.00 = $150.00)....does MTD tips cover the tip for eating in Chops ?....if so and service was exceptional I would still tip additional.

if not what tip $$$ would be expected/suffice for our dinner party of 5....(what $$$ amount would I base the tip on ~ the $150.00 or an estimated total dollar amount of what is actually ordered) ?

thanks I appreciate any expert CC feedback......:)

kind of confused and not the first time so I will ask.....:eek:

cruising next week and already signed up for MTD for our family of 5 (2 adults and 3 children ages 18, 13, 12)...so as I understand it our meal tips are already pre-paid....if we do eat at Chops I will be paying $30.00 per person (5 x $30.00 = $150.00)....does MTD tips cover the tip for eating in Chops ?....if so and service was exceptional I would still tip additional.

if not what tip $$$ would be expected/suffice for our dinner party of 5....(what $$$ amount would I base the tip on ~ the $150.00 or an estimated total dollar amount of what is actually ordered) ?

thanks I appreciate any expert CC feedback......:)

Your $30 per person fee includes gratuity, so no need to tip extra. Of course, if you thought the service was exceptional, you could at your discretion. The tips from MTD are completely separate and should be considered a sunk cost, you do not get credit back should you choose not to eat in the main dining room.

I think $30 for a good steak, sides, appetizers, and dessert is worth the money. No decent steakhouse in your hometown will give you that kind of value.

Hi, Can someone please explain the celebration special.

The Celebration Dining Deal allows you to book a specialty restaurant for four or more people on either Day 1 or Day 2 and get a free $30 credit for beverages. It's available to book online through the Pre-Cruise Planner.

We had a group of 14 dine at Chops on Freedom last October, so we booked three of these deals to maximize our free wine credit. :)

Archived