Serenade Review - Alaska 5/29/05

BuzzandJulie, Cruisemann and Jstducky,

We did the late seating. I don't think the early seating would have worked for my crew but other than the first port (Skagway 5:00p) the port days don't really factor into it.

We just like eating late and being able to get the most out of the extended daylight.

Did you happen to see the Royal Family Suite? We will be sailing in October and would love to get some info on the cabin.

Sorry didn't see it but I do recall someone having posted pictures of the suite on another thread.

We were on the 5/29 sailing as well and I can echo all of the above.

We have done the Eastern (Carnival Pride), Western (Carnival Glory) and Southern Carib (RCI Serenade) routes but I believe this was the best so far. At least the most relaxing.

We did have a little rough water late Friday night until about noon on Saturday (saw quite a few seasick bags waiting for use...and some IN use). Pool tables could not keep up with some of the rocking. It bottomed out a few times while the wife and I played.

Took my in-laws on this one for their very first and they are now hooked.

We were in cabin 8596 which is on the Starboard hump. Room may be a tad smaller due to this fact but the most important part (balcony) was large enough. We loved the hump room as we had no obstructions either direction we looked.

We now have to book another so we can have something to look forward to.

We have done the Eastern (Carnival Pride), Western (Carnival Glory) and Southern Carib (RCI Serenade) routes but I believe this was the best so far. At least the most relaxing.

I am considering taking the family on the Southern route. Having done none of them... just looking at the ports and the reviews the staff on the Serenade gave, the Southern looks very nice.

Which one did you prefer?

My wife and I enjoy cruising so much that we really don't have a preference on where we go. :)

But of the Carib routes we would probably rate the Southern the best. Not sure if it was the ship or the itinerary. We had done Carnival Glory prior to Serenade and we did not like that ship. We have nothing against Carnival but we like the smaller (Spirit or Radiance class) ships.

Thank you for posting your reviews. I really appreciate it! We are leaving on the Serenade on the 26th of June. We can't wait!!

Your pictures are great! I'm going to look into possibly getting that camera if it's as easy as you say it is. :)

I'm glad everyone had a good time. Is there anything you wished you brought or had that you didn't?

I did have a quick question for Mildred, though. We are also flying out of Phoenix into Seattle because we bought our tickets through RCI. You said the bus ride was okay. Could you please email me at deanns88@hotmail.com so I could ask you a few questions about the transfers? Thanks.

Again, thanks for the review. If I think of a good question, I'll write again. Thanks!!

Jobrien...

My wife found your post and responded the other day. As she indicated, we were also on the 5/29 sailing of the Serenade. After looking at what room you were in, turns out we were your next door neighbors. It seems as though we had the same ideas about our travel plans too....I don't know if you remember, but we met in front of the Hampton Inn on that Sunday morning.... Then, as I said, our staterooms were next too each other. After all that I was coming out of the Seattle Ariport Embassy Suites early last Monday morning you were getting into the airport shuttle. I guess the only thing we didn't do was take the same plane!

Your pictures were fantastic. I thought I had gotten some great shots, but yours were amazing. I took about 1100 pictures too...

I have to say I agree with you about people being self absorbed (or self important)... there was another family that was on the ship that stayed at the Hampton too...which I have to say was a very nice hotel and had a great breakfast. When we were waiting downstairs, they were waiting for the shuttle and it was a running a few minutes behind. One of them was unbelievable rude to shuttle driver....a shuttle that was FREE! I won't even go into the details....

One of the things about cruising I like is meeting different people... We have been on 19 cruises....and we love it....it is all about what you make of it...we keep to ourselves somewhat and are quiet and just go with the flow. Enjoy it...it is supposed to be a vacation!

DCL- Fan,

It truly is a small world. :) Hilton Honors worked well for us this trip.

Glad to hear you and your 9 yr. old cruise veteran had a good time. We certainly did and was quite pleased with our accomodations. Not sure any other type room would now be sufficient.

The pictures turned out pretty good but as much as I would like to take credit, its really all in the equipment.

Having bumped into my share of inconsiderate people, every once in awhile I bump into someone who achieves a new level of rudeness. I mark the event and move on until some other thoughtless soul exceeds that standard but that's part of the joy of travel.

Happy travels.

Hello All !

jobrien, I hope you don't mind (and I should have asked before probably), but I linked your pics and thread to the thread for our sailing of the Serenade on 6/26/05. I was so impressed with your review and photo skills that I couldn't help myself:D

We are all anticipating the week yet to get thru, and your pics just make the anticipation more severe.

A question for you if I could....our Meet and Mingle is scheduled for Tuesday eve at 7:30. What time is the main seating for dinner? 6pm like the other ships? We may use this night to go to Chops and can schedule it for after the Meet and Mingle.

Again Thanks for a great review and the pics. They are much appreciated. I guess I better go get 2 more 1Gig cards as I wasn't going to take the laptop with me to download.

Mike

Hello All !

jobrien, I hope you don't mind (and I should have asked before probably), but I linked your pics and thread to the thread for our sailing of the Serenade on 6/26/05. I was so impressed with your review and photo skills that I couldn't help myself:D

We are all anticipating the week yet to get thru, and your pics just make the anticipation more severe.

A question for you if I could....our Meet and Mingle is scheduled for Tuesday eve at 7:30. What time is the main seating for dinner? 6pm like the other ships? We may use this night to go to Chops and can schedule it for after the Meet and Mingle.

Again Thanks for a great review and the pics. They are much appreciated. I guess I better go get 2 more 1Gig cards as I wasn't going to take the laptop with me to download.

Mike

No worries about the link... glad you liked the pictures.

I believe the main seating was at 6:00p.

Yup... better get those Gig cards cause if you are anything like me, you are going to take a ton of pictures and be happy that you did.

Have a great time!!!

Wow, thanks for the review, the photos and all of the info!!!!!! We're still counting down and can't wait. We have some of the same entertainment, but we also have The Original Drifters ("Under the Boardwalk", etc.) listed for our cruise........did you guys have them, too?

Any Crown & Anchor members.........what was the Welcome Back gift? I have enought Fanny Packs and Toiletry Hangar thingees.......hope they've changed to something different LOL

We're also signed up for Captain Larry and can't wait........will tell DH to get out the gig cards for sure!

I know that they turn the ship so that both sides will have a view of the glacier. My question is: Which side of the ship sees the glacier first and which side sees it after they turn around? We will have a hump balcony on the starboard side. I'm planning to be on deck when the port side is viewing the glacier and on my balcony when the starboard side is viewing. Just want some information so I can plan on where to be first.

Thanks.

-Steven

What's a hump balcony? Why is it better than the other balconies? Can you give me an example cabin # on the Serenade of a hump balcony?

The "hump/bump" cabins are the cabins situated on the bulge in the middle of the Radiance and Voyager class ships. The balconies are usually larger on these cabins. If you click on the attached link, the cabins I am referring to would be 7596-7606.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do;jsessionid=0000yC2mTDbm9-2hX5xICrFsUY7:v29bc6gq?shipCode=SR&deckCode=07&shipProfile=1066&sailDate=1050619

Hmmm, still no answer on which side of the ship views the glacier first.

-Steven

• 1 month later...

Hmmm, still no answer on which side of the ship views the glacier first.

-Steven

When we were there the captain made an announcement ahead of time that the port side of the ship would view the glacier first and then he would turn the ship around so the starbord side could view it.

Having just returned from the Southern Caribbean route on the AOS we are planning our next cruise to Alaska this time. Your pictures were awsome and have really gotten us excited. We have the books about the Alaska cruises but have no idea which is the best route to take. They all look so good. Any advice would be so helpful. Did you take the train to the port? If so did you do it as part of RCI's pre-cruise package or on your own? Thanks in advance.

Not quite sure who you're addressing this question to, but I'll give you my opinion.

If you have the time and the money, take a cruise tour. My reccomendation is to do the tour part first and finish with the southbound cruise. that way the heavy traveling is at the beginning and the relaxing cruise at the end. Radiance of the Seas will be doing this itinerary next year. But as I said, its more time consuming this way and more costly (usually).

For my trip this year, I did a roundtrip out of Vancouver. Flew in the day of the cruise and took a cab to the pier. On the return to Vancouver, I rented a car and drove around for the day and took a late flight out of Vancouver.

There is so much to see and do in Alaska that my best advice is to do some research, decide on what is most important to you to see and do, and go with that.

Check out the Alaska ports of call board. there are a lot of experts over there who are more than happy to answer any and all questions!

good luck!

WE ARE BOOKED ON SERENADE 8590 FOR A SO CARIBBEAN CRUISE> HOW SMALL WAS THE BALCONY ? WAS THERE ROOM FOR 2 CHAIRS AND A SMALL TABLE ? HOW ABOUT LOUNGE CHAIRS ? WAS IT NOISY IN THE EXPLORERS COURT OUTSIDE THE DOOR ? WHAT ACTIVITIES GO ON OUT THERE ? THANKS

Mildred

Vision 10/05

Serenade 05/05

Monarch 2003

Archived