Naturalist on NCL ships in Alaksa?

ejhall

For clairfication, not a naturalist but a "lecturer". And a very poor one on the Star. She had never been to Alaska and didn't know the areas. She had a presentation about marine wildlife that my room mates went to and thought it was interesting.

She had a "know it all" attitude. I was on deck and she eased dropped on a splendid conversation I was having with a marine biologist professor at So Cal U, and a whale expert. Boy was I delighted. :) I was commenting on my luck with whale watching in Alaska (by the way, my areas were RIGHT ON with excellent viewing) and she butted in making comments that there were a lot of grays to be seen, totally blowing off the whale expert who said it wasn't the area. Talked to him like he was a child. :( Anyway, that was her first trip there and maybe if she does her homework, she will be more useful to passengers?? But NOT ONCE was she on deck or on the bridge pointing out wildlife, never even seen with a pair of binoculars.

They did bring on someone from Skagway- the folk song writer= who's name excapes me??? ( I had seen him before??) Again my room mates greatly enjoyed him. :)

You could also be speaking about the National Park Service ranger personnel that come aboard during the transit of Glacier Bay. Some of them are good and some are just downright boring. They are only on the ship during the time that it is in the Park, though, no other time.

I have sailed Glacier Bay many times and always had great informative rangers for the sailing, none boring in my opinion.

I was onboard the Star from 5/22 until 5/29. During the time we were in Glacier Bay we had a female naturalist on board or a park ranger, I'm not sure which. I felt like she talked down to us quite a bit - talked very slowly with kind of a baby talk to her voice. Someone said she was a former teacher and I could relate to the way she was talking since I teach first grade! She was not all that appropriate for her audience. We had the Princess naturalist onboard when we went on Capt. Larry's whale watching tour and I was quite impressed by him! It would have been nice to have more wildlife pointed out to us. We watched from our balcony constantly and did not see anything. However, we were in the Spinnaker Lounge one morning and saw a pod of Orcas but only because a man next to us pointed them out.

Thanks for the replies. On my previous Celebrity cruises, the naturalists were very good and the native guests from Yakutat were very interesing when we were at the Hubbard Glacier. I will take the replies into consideration when choosing my 2006 Alaska cruise.

Thanks for the clarification Budget Queen. You have been so helpful on these boards. I really enjoy your tips on Whale watching, that's where my heart is, and I can hardly wait. Like you, I'll be on deck every morning at 4:30 am! Plus we've booked with Captain Larry...of course! We leave a week from Sunday, round trip out of Seattle. Any last minute tips are greatly appreciated!!!

Pumpkinlady: There were at least two that I attended. One about glaciers and one about whales. She also offered commentary at Hubbard Glacier, alternating with the locals.

zachnlucy: Thanks for your comment, I'm strongly considering NCL next summer but I have never cruised with them and am somewhat concerned that the nature talks won't be what I'm used to. When I cruise to Alaska, I go for the wildlife and the scenery first and foremost, the ports second and the ship last.

Archived