Anybody ever stay at the Double Tree Grand?

Gonedownlately?

Here is the deal with the Double Tree.

It is located on the wrong side of the island. They are on the eastern side of the island, next to the airport. The interesting part of Key West (Old Town), is located on the western side of the island. If you stay at the Double Tree, you will have to shuttle downtown, either by taxi, car, or hotel transporation. If you wanted to be able to walk from your hotel to Duval Street, the Historic Seaport, or Old Town, forget it. I really don't like their location.

We will be staying at the DoubleTree on night this month as a get-acquainted with Key West. We are staying there because we got a free night and it looked nice on their web site. We will have our own car. I'll try to remember to comment on it when I return.

My question is: Would we be able to bicycle to the downtown area from this location? It seems Key West really isn't that large, but wanted to double check before we go so I know what to expect.

thanks!

My question is: Would we be able to bicycle to the downtown area from this location? It seems Key West really isn't that large, but wanted to double check before we go so I know what to expect.

thanks!

The location is about as far as you can get from Old Towne. You can ride a bike but it would NOT be a comfortable ride because of the distance and nature of the route. Furthermore, a night time return would be undesireable. If you have a car just use it and park in the public garage. Finding a streetside parking place is extremely difficult and costly in Key West.

Maybe you should think about public transit. There's a bus stop close by. Go HERE for the bus schedule and routes.

Please let me know what you think of the Double Tree. I'll have a rental car, so I don't think the distance issue is a killer for me. But if you think it really is a hassell please let us know... I'll also be curious about the hotel itself: the amenities; overall condition; etc.

You don't happen to be a diver, do you?

Nope, sorry. I'm not a diver.

If you're looking for recommendations on diving spots in the keys, I believe there is a separate board for scuba and snorkeling...? Not sure and can't look while I'm typing this reply, but seems like I ran across it once.

I will try to remember to post thoughts on the DoubleTree. If you don't see it from me in a couple of weeks, post a reminder on this board. I have this thread set to send me an email message when a new post pops up.

• 2 weeks later...

We've stayed at the DoubleTree several times when we can't get a room at the Hyatt Windward Point (which is almost NEVER these days!)

The DoubleTree is a long, hard bike ride in the heat, humidity and frequent rain of summer. I do not know your capacity as bikers. If you are accomplished long distance bikers this may not present a challenge; however, I do concur that it would not be advisable to bike back after sunset. The road is very dark and scarey; the traffic is fast.

The hotel does offer hourly shuttle service to Old Town. I cannot vouch for the convenience because we usually drive. One time we were all set to actually take the shuttle, but a large wedding party came out of the hotel, so they were given priority and we couldn't get on the shuttle. So instead of waiting for it to go and return, we drove.

Driving in Old Town has a huge downside...parking. One lot near Mallory Square is three dollars an hour. It is usually full, even so. The street parking, if you can find it, is metered.

Here's details on the hotel, itself. There are two room styles. Window and balcony. The balcony is very, very small, still we alwys request a balcony room, usually ten or twenty dollars more. The decor is "Key West-Caribbean." The beds are comfy. The hotel is showing a little wear now, but for the price is one of the best in Key West unless you jump up to the luxury class, such as the waterfront Hyatt, Hilton or Ocean Key or the Marquesa bed and breakfast.

The view is NOT compelling--condos under construction on one side, salt flats on the other, no ocean or bay views. Parking is ten dollars extra. You get a delicious hot chocolate chip cookie when you check in. The lobby has an amazing floor-to-ceiling aquarium that you can walk all the way around. There is a decent, though not spectacular breakfast buffet. The Double Tree is our default hotel now that the Hyatt Windward point is perpetually booked.

I hope you enjoy your trip. Key West is one of my favorite places.

We are back- stayed just one night in KW, so I don't know how our experience would relate to what you are thinking of, Gonedownlately.

We had barely checked in and set our things down in our room when the shuttle was ready to depart, so we hopped right on. It did seem a bit of a drive, so I'm glad we didn't attempt to take bicycles, especially in that heat and humidity!!

The hotel is perfectly nice- maybe a fresh coat of paint in the room we were in would have improved it, but other than that it was well (if maybe a little over-) furnished, clean and relatively fresh feeling. The area felt safe.

The shuttle took about 15 minutes, give or take a few, to get downtown and there are two drop-off/pick up locations. We chose to depart the shuttle at the location near Front Street. Our intentions were just to check out the area on foot, get some lunch, sample some key lime pie and do a bit of sightseeing. There was nothing that we couldn't accomplish using the shuttle. We did all of thise for several hours (some of it in the rain), then hopped back on the shuttle at the other end.

There isn't a nice beach by the hotel, but then again it didn't appear to me that there were too many nice beaches on KW anyway! The above poster who said the view is nothing to rave about was correct. They're building condos right in front of the DT property, so what was once, I'm sure, a fairly nice view is now being obstructed.

This hotel worked fine for our purposes, but if you're planning on staying several days, or like to stay out late and party, it might be better for you to be on the downtown side. There aren't many restaurants or activities near the DoubleTree. On the plus side, it is very near the only exit/entrance to the island by car and also close to the airport, so if you're not the type that likes to sit in traffic, this might be a bonus for you.

I dont know anything about how they decide when to use their shuttle, but I have seen the DoubleTree shuttle allover town and have just presumed that since they are located away from the historic and tourist district that they have a shuttle to move their guests around. You might want to call and ask about their shuttle......cuz those chocolate chip cookies are awful tasty!

Clay - a key west local

The DoubleTree shuttle departs the hotel once per hour and is on a schedule. It drops/picks up at two downtown locations then back to the hotel to drop off and I believe it swings over to the airport to drop off and pick up passengers who need a ride to that location before heading back to the hotel to pick up passengers for the downtown area again.

Archived