Celebrity transfers to Heathrow

Does anyone know if Celebrity provides transfers from Southampton to Heathrow and if so how much they cost? Their Web site shows that transfer are not available. Our travel agent checked and said that they cost $100 / person which seems way too expensive considering I paid $50 on Princess last year.

I tried calling Celebrity but they were no help.

Thanks

They were available when I booked my cruise online with Celebrity, and I think they were something crazy like $119. On my reservation they also show now as "not available"--not sure why but I know that it was the same way for my transatlantic FROM Southampton last fall.

Many people use the bus service between Heathrow and Southampton station--it's much more reasonable, even though you then have to taxi from the station to the port (it's a short inexpensive taxi ride though.) The only thing with the bus is you are limited to 1 suitcase plus a carry-on. National Express is the name of the bus company and you can book them online.

Certainly in the past Celebrity have provided transfers for all cruises to/from LHR & LGW, also central London/Eurostar. Same as all cruise lines. I know cos I've driven them. And I doubt the policy's changed, cos it's a good money-spinner for the cruise lines.

But as Bottomfeeder's post, there's also a National Express scheduled coach service, costing around £18 ($27). The journey takes around 2 hours, compared to an average 90 mins by ship's transfer coaches.

Luggage limit is two cases per passenger, each under 44lb, plus hand luggage. The limit isn't rigidly applied. Splitting 88lb into two cases is to avoid the driver straining his back - but Nat Express drivers aren't wimps & don't worry about that regulation.

If you grossly exceed the limit you may be charged excess, but not at airline rates ;). Mebbe an extra £5 to £10.

The main luggage concern is that the driver may not accept grossly over-weight luggage if the coach is full & everyone has luggage, since that would put his vehicle over its max legal weight. Now that would seriously spoil your day, but I've never heard of it happening.

There's no luggage limit on ships' cruise transfers - for this reason they allow for about 35 passengers per 48-seater coach.

There's a limited choice of times & you should certainly pre-book, on http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

You will need to know your airline's LHR terminal before booking.

Your journey is to or from Southampton (coach station). Ignore the cruise ship terminal option, this applies only to Fred Olsen ships.

You will need a taxi (plenty available) between your ship & the coach station, takes 3 to 5 mins & costs £5 to £8 depending on your cruise terminal - City Cruise Terminal, used by most Celebrity & RCI cruises, is closest & even walkable in 15 mins if you have the time.

At Heathrow, Nat Express coaches collect & drop at T4 & T5, but for T1-3 they run from Heathrow bus station which is an easy & well-signed five minute walk. Ships' transfer coaches collect/drop at each terminal.

JB :)

Archived