best BANG for my BUCK?

Hey Everyone!!

So as the time draws near more and more thoughts/questions pop into my head!

We embark on NOS on April 6 which is also my best friends birthday! Just wondering what birthday package on gift and gear you found to be the best value for your money...and if you have any recommendations on something else to do?

This is our once in a lifetime trip... and we have also been friends for 18 years!

Thanks so much for reading this!!

Hey Everyone!!

So as the time draws near more and more thoughts/questions pop into my head!

We embark on NOS on April 6 which is also my best friends birthday! Just wondering what birthday package on gift and gear you found to be the best value for your money...and if you have any recommendations on something else to do?

This is our once in a lifetime trip... and we have also been friends for 18 years!

Thanks so much for reading this!!

I personally think that your best value would probably be to buy her something while you are in port. If you are talking about buying her something on the ship, maybe Jewelry?

Be sure to let your waiter know. They will bring a special dessert.

I cruised with friends on my birthday several years ago. They surprised me with a little mini-birthday party at dinner. I got a special dessert with the obligatory singing. Gifts included a Christmas Tree ornament of the ship, a stuffed "Funship Freddy" (it was a Carnival ship) and a bottle of wine. It was a lot of fun.

Thank you everyone for all of the great suggestions! I was on the fence about the birthday cake but you are right so much food!

I think the decorations are a a great idea and honestly not a bad price for the WOW it will give her

I assume we are better off buying a bottle of champagne before we board!

Thank you everyone for all of the great suggestions! I was on the fence about the birthday cake but you are right so much food!

I think the decorations are a a great idea and honestly not a bad price for the WOW it will give her

I assume we are better off buying a bottle of champagne before we board!

I did this for my wife once. The decorations are pretty lame and the cost I think is high. IF you want to experience something extra, take her to the pork pit in montego bay.

The question is, would she like it?

I celebrated my birthday on the Oasis a few years ago. My husband knew that I wouldn't really enjoy decorations inside the cabin, but he did take me to a specialty restaurant (my choice) that night. That part was perfect. Unfortunately, he made sure the waiter knew it was my birthday. Waiters started to sing, which led to the entire restaurant singing. I wasn't a big fan of that

Thank goodness the first day of our next cruise is his birtday...revenge is sweet.

One thing to also take note of, if she looks at her account on the TV (on her birthday) there should be a note that says they will give her a 5 or 10 minute phone call.

I concur with everyone here that you should go to Job Lot, Tuesday Morning, dollar tree etc, whatever they call the discount place in your neck of the woods and buy the stuff yourself. Now you can even bring your own special wine onboard. The on board " packages" are a massive ripoff and most importantly while you are paying for convenience (and many choose to do that); a large percentage of reviewers here report that their expected items did not arrive on time or at all, thus spoiling the surprise and still being way too expensive!

It really depends on what you think your friend would prefer but, if it were me, I'd prefer dinner at a specialty restaurant to the decorations which I find to be a bit tacky.

Agree...treat yourself and your friend to a lovely dinner at one of the specialty restaurants. It is a very different atmosphere than the MDR and perfect for special occasions. Maybe treat her to a photograph taken at the restaurant.

My kids (who were not with us) ordered the birthday decorations for my cabin on Explorer in Sept. I LOVED them :D I think it was the fact that they even thought to do this that made it even more special. I was totally surprised and I'm usually the one who does the surprising ;) I think it's a great idea ;)

Ugh!

So much to consider! This is her very first cruise so she is not expecting anything. ..she is is turning 23.

I would have considered doing it myself but the problem is that her her birthday is the day we embark on the ship...

Thanks for all of the opinions though, they are really appreciated

Archived