Kayak/snorekl mangrove tour

Jsim2011

We are considering the Kayak/snorkel tour of the mangroves, has anyone done this, if so what did you think of it?

I've done that tour, it was terrific. Just fair warning: it's about a half hour of solid paddling to get to the area where you snorkel/hike. We lost a couple of people on the way back and the guide had to go rescue them.

Yes, they started falling behind the rest of the group and we lost sight of them as we rounded one of the small islands in the lagoon. The guide had the rest of us continue on and he went back for them. It was a mother and her 12 year old daughter. Apparently the daughter ran out of steam and refused to keep paddling.

If you book through your ship the number of paddlers may be huge. If you book through shore excursions, for example, you'll be in a smaller group. The smaller groups are easier on the guides if there are weak paddlers or snorkelers, so many cruisers are either booking direct online for a smaller group tour, or booking direct so they can be in a tour with a smaller group than cruise ship tour.

We booked thru the ship and I guess we really lucked out, there were only around a dozen of us. The guide said that when a Disney ship is in port he'd have as many as 50 people and the tour isn't nearly as good.

I hope my story didn't steer anyone away from this excursion. From what I understand it became unusually windy that day, hence the bit of a struggle getting back. It's really a good tour with very knowledgeable guides. I'd probably do it again if I had the opportunity.

Which private tour operators offer this kind of tour?

When we were in Alaska, we booked a private kayaking trip, with an operator who will only take out 6 people at a time. Turned out that we were the only two who booked that day, and it was a highlight of the trip! I really don't want to kayak with a crowd!

The only company that offers this type of tour on St Thomas is VI Ecotours. If you book with them directly or through any other tour operator other than the ship, they put you with the smaller hotel guest groups. Some of the cruise ship groups are small, though. Just depends on the ship.

Archived