My Fabulous Reflection Cruise (March 16-23)

slp123

I have been so busy since returning that not only have I not started to write a review, I haven't even been able to find time to come on here and give a preview until just now.

Now that 10 days have passed since returning, I have to say four things have not faded in the least from my memory!

• The beauty of the ship and its many venues and public spaces
  • The fact, that despite this being the largest passenger ship I have ever sailed on, I never felt like I was in a crowded mass market cruise. In fact the only time I ever stood in line was to get wonderful sushi served every day at 5:30pm and that line was never more than 5 minutes.
  • The service was excellent everywhere, in our cabin, in every dining venue, at the shore excursion desk, at every bar and other service areas. I have not seen such crisp, attentive service since I was last on Regent. And Celebrity is less than half their price!
  • The quality of the food, with one or two minor exceptions was generally very good to excellent. And I was impressed that Celebrity was spending more on their MDR dining fare than in recent past history.

As soon as time allows I will write a full review, of the many wonderful things and the few very minor criticisms that I have. CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK. Feel free to ask any questions.

I have been so busy since returning that not only have I not started to write a review, I haven't even been able to find time to come on here and give a preview until just now.

Now that 10 days have passed since returning, I have to say four things have not faded in the least from my memory!

• The beauty of the ship and its many venues and public spaces
  • The fact, that despite this being the largest passenger ship I have ever sailed on, I never felt like I was in a crowded mass market cruise. In fact the only time I ever stood in line was to get wonderful sushi served every day at 5:30pm and that line was never more than 5 minutes.
  • The service was excellent everywhere, in our cabin, in every dining venue, at the shore excursion desk, at every bar and other service areas. I have not seen such crisp, attentive service since I was last on Regent. And Celebrity is less than half their price!
  • The quality of the food, with one or two minor exceptions was generally very good to excellent. And I was impressed that Celebrity was spending more on their MDR dining fare than in recent past history.

As soon as time allows I will write a full review, of the many wonderful things and the few very minor criticisms that I have. CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK. Feel free to ask any questions.

Thank you SLP123.:) I'm looking forward to your review. Also many thanks for your Alcove's help on your other posting's as well :)

Because every aspect of my most recent cruise was so fabulous (Reflection March 16th), I thought instead of doing the standard review of commenting on each of 7 or 8 categories, I would instead share with you a very personal list of both some of the exceptionally wonderful things that made this cruise, my 43rd, forever memorable. In a subsequent posting later this week I will then make a list of the few things I thought could be improved. By their very nature, these lists will reflect personal preferences and focus on what are areas of importance for me. Therefore the lists are not to be comprehensive nor do they really look beyond what I find to be important…. Or more importantly what I find to be significant when it comes to a great cruise experience. Also Reflection offers so much and within the time frame of a one-week cruise, it is impossible to experience all that it has to offer.

The Excellent

• I and my traveling companions each had our own mid-ship category 1C deluxe veranda cabins. These staterooms were very attractive, with excellent bedding and spacious baths. As a single occupant the storage was more than adequate (see below for criticism)
  • For a standard sized veranda stateroom my cabin had the largest and most comfortable sofa I have seen on any cruise line in a non-suite cabin and I would also say that the deck chairs on the veranda were far better than those supplied on other lines
  • The public rooms are magnificent and spacious and I never felt like there was anything approaching 3000 passengers aboard the ship (see below for a couple of minor exceptions)
  • In every dining venue, at every bar, on open pool decks, in our cabin and at the excursion and front desk, service was efficient, warm, friendly, helpful and given joyfully and with pride. My hats off to our cabin steward, our waiters in the MDR (late seating), the wine steward, the MDR Maître’d as well as the Maître’d’s at the Lawn Club Grill and Qsine.
  • The MDR executive chefs do an outstanding job with regard to the preparation of most dishes (exceptions will appear in my next post).
  • Loved listening to classical music in the early evening sprawled out on the grass, under the stars on Deck 15. For us, this was a sort of public nap and restore time as we sipped sparkling water or vitamin/energy drinks stealing for ourselves some new energy and protein that had been previously expended when we stopped far too long aft of the lawn . . .see Sunset Bar below.
  • The skills of the bartenders are outstanding when it comes to mixing rinks properly and serving promptly. The Sunset Bar (Deck 15 aft)— is the place to be late in the afternoon when one grows tired of sun or wants more stimulation than found in ones Alcove. The Sunset Bar is just a wonderful, comfortable outdoor setting often with live Caribbean or Jazz music, where you can just stare out at the infinite water and clouds drifting by.
  • Before dinner we loved the dark, intimate, jazz playing setting of the Ensemble Lounge on Deck 5. After dinner, friends of ours dining in different restaurants met in the Martini Bar on deck 4 which was lively after dinner and often allowed one to take in the dance scene as it played out in the Atrium just below on deck 3. Finally we stayed up very late two nights (until 2 AM) having a more than fun time dancing to this decade’s club music in the Sky Observation Lounge (forward Deck 14).
  • The cabin stewards and their assistants on deck 8, portside midship, who I secretly believe, worked out a cooperative method among themselves, that assured that cabins were cleaned thoroughly and promptly every morning (if I went up to breakfast at 8 or 9 or 10, the cabin was always made up when I returned within the hour.) Furthermore, my steward (Jim) and/or one of his colleagues seemed to always be present on our hall between 9am and 2pm and then again between 5pm and when we went to dinner at 8pm, making it so easy to have small requests fulfilled (which they always were). And when I twice called them on the phone, they responded within 5 minutes.
  • No cruise line that I have ever been on, not Cunard, not Holland America, not Regent, not Seabourn, not Oceania, not RCCL, had more interaction (both casual and arranged) between passengers and officers (whether it be a social get together or an arranged sporting competition) and this made for a wonderful dynamic and a sense that staff really cared about your time onboard.
  • The one ship arranged excursion I took was well done and the tour guide was knowledgeable and friendly.
  • Fellow passengers were convivial, polite, and well-behaved but also knew how to have a good time and most were very courteous to staff (unlike some prior cruises on other lines) . . . It seemed that no one was unhappy, and everyone was having a good time
  • The best coffee and the best desserts are not found in any of the dining venues but rather at Café al Bacio, where the special coffees and teas carry a small extra charge, but all the special pastries are free, fresh and fabulous.

Next post . . . .

The less than Excellent

Archived