Spending money?

khrivnak

What other kind of handy tips do you have in a Word file? Ive printed off your last one and added it to my cruise folder. Any other hints and tricks of yours (from packing to what to not miss, ports, etc.) I would love to have. The way you break things down is beyond helpful.

What other kind of handy tips do you have in a Word file? Ive printed off your last one and added it to my cruise folder. Any other hints and tricks of yours (from packing to what to not miss, ports, etc.) I would love to have. The way you break things down is beyond helpful.

I agree...any other words of wisdom?! :D

I spend very little. They take $80.50 on the third day of cruise from each account for tips. I do not use internet, play bingo, drink or gamble. We take a 12 pack of soda and drink lemonade and iced tea. At port we may buy a t shirt, but I collect magnets and post cards, so those don't cost much. Our pictures we take are our main soveniers. We ate at all the places that are included in our cruise price.

Gratuities are prepaid. Excursion is prepaid. I plan on getting the cheers program for myself (DH doesnt drink and wont be required as we had to book him in the 2nd cabin with 2 children). Only 2 of 4 children drink soda, so we will be good with what we bring on board.

I also turn my kids cards off for spending-- that way if they lose it some other kid cant rack up the goodies. they still need the card to get on and off the ship though

How much spending money do you typically take with you on a cruise? We are a family of 6, (myself, DH, DD16, DD13, DD7, DS6). We've never been on a cruise before. In discussing, I have $400 set back so far for "nothing" (excursion already paid for). Someone suggested to have at least $1,500 spending money. :eek: Am I being unrealistic for a first time cruiser? How much do you anticipate a family of 6 would spend on their first cruise?

How long is your cruise? We are a family of 5, and go on 5 day cruises. (Did one 7-day with the kids and it was tooo long) Our sign and sail bill varies around 700 or so. We take about 600-800 cash. We have actually always had a little cash left which we used up on the car ride home. We do not splurge on expensive things, but we find we spend quite of bit of money on purchases/pictures/drinks on the ship, and on souveniers in ports.

We are a family of 3 ( 49,37 and age 8). We have done 3 cruises and we cruise for the ports.

On board, our S&S Bill not counting gratuities is always 10-30 bucks. WE play no bingo, no gambling, order booze bottle for us, so never "buy" drinks. And never shop on board ect..

Now for ports, we cruise for them. Typically we jump and wander always visiting a local grocery store, church, school and/or orphanage. We find the local hiking trails and avoid any tourist shops or areas. We also avoid beaches and chain bars found at most ports. 90% of the time we can walk or we take bus (cheaper) or even a cab. We must try local food and drink:

Stewed Cowsfoot in Caymans, Gibnut in Belize, Guifidi in Roatan etc.. so for our wanders and food we plan on about a 100.00 for the 3 of us. WE buy no souvenirs usually.

So, 7 day cruise, 3 people, 4 ports, 400.00 would be fine. We always have left over cash with this plan. Wandering excursions are FREE ;)

Generally we don't spend anything on "extras". I pay for the trip my kids have to provide their own spending money. I am a minimalist so don't like crap that is useless around the house. We generally just wander the port or hit the local beach so that is cheap or free depending on the port.

I might plan on spending only $400 but bring extra just in case.

Just a suggestion - from your budget you may want to give each a set amount of spending money (for souvenir) for the week. When it's gone, it's gone. IF you don't, they nickle and dime you to death.

Totally agree with this. I give mine 100 to 150 for a 7 day for spending money...including onboard and in ports, divided between s&s allowance and cash. I set the s&s limit as soon as we get on...before they can do any damage! That is for their souvineers, specialty drinks, arcade, henna tattoos, etc. I get them the soda stickers though. When the money is gone, it's gone. I got one kid that runs out on day 2, one that works it out to last the whole time, and one that takes some home! They are ages 17, 15, and 12 BTW.

For your younger ones you may want to budget for after hours babysitting and late night parties for kids which cost extra and I know on one of our cruises they had build a bear in camp carnival which was extra.

Have fun! You and your kids are going to love it!!

Our first cruise, we were a family of 4. Two adults a 16 year old and an 11 year old. We ended up with $800 of s&s charges. That included bar drinks (not more than two per person per day for the adults) Two bottomless bubbles stickers. A few souviners, four photos, and camp carnival charges for build a bear and late nights. Also $75 per child on their cards for them to use in the arcade or buy souvinirs. It added up very quickly. Our last cruise we had prepurchased drink coupons and photo coupons (no longer available :( ) and ended up with $400 in charges.

I jsut got back from a 4 day on the Elation only one port of call. It was a spring break for my daughter that was graduating high school. I took $900 cash with me and we were driving from oklahoma to new orleans. My tips were prepaid and my hotel was prepaid. I had a few drinks a day and purchased 3 photos and 1 soda card and I did buy a few things in the gift shop.

Gas $180

Excursion for 2 All Inclusive Beach Day $100

Massage on Beach for 2 $70

Shopping in Cozumel $100

Sign & Sail Account $210

Pre Cruise in New Orleans $150

Port & Hotel Parking $85

How much spending money do you typically take with you on a cruise? We are a family of 6, (myself, DH, DD16, DD13, DD7, DS6). We've never been on a cruise before. In discussing, I have $400 set back so far for "nothing" (excursion already paid for). Someone suggested to have at least $1,500 spending money. :eek: Am I being unrealistic for a first time cruiser? How much do you anticipate a family of 6 would spend on their first cruise?

Dont forget about Camp Carnival for your 2 yournger children. If you and hubby want them to stay in camp after 10pm, while you guys have a night out, there is a charge for after 10. (not much, but there is a charge)

Archived