Aruba Diving - Help please

o2bonn

I'm going to be diving in Dominica and Aruba on the Destiny. As I always have, I want to book the dive trips privately in order to avoid the higher prices and the cattle boats. I've been lurking for a while and have seen good things written in Dominica about NatureIsland Dive so I'm booked with them. As far as Aruba goes, I have read mostly good things about Dive Aruba w/Clive and with Pelican. I can't remember where, but someone mentioned that Clive might not be good for inexperienced divers. My wife and I are ok in this regard but my 13 year old is just getting certified. So I thought I would go with Pelican. On the day we are in port, they are doing a 1 tank to the Antilla or 2 tank to south coast reefs. Even though I wanted a 2 tank experience I decided to book the Antilla. Here's the thing - when I called to book, they said that they COULD NOT pick me up and that we would have to take a taxi. It turns out that Red Sail is NOT the only diving vendor for Carnival; Pelican also runs trips for them. They would not say it but I think they are not allowed to pik-up there b/c of Carnival. It annoys me that I should have to pay my own way to the dive shop. It also annoys me to think that we will be on a cattle boat.

Does anyone who has used either of these companies have any opinion on whether I should go with Pelican or w/Clive (Dive Aruba)? I want my son to have a good experience. Thanks in advance for any input!

My husband and I used Clive. He also gave a 'discover scuba' course to our friend. He was very thorough with the training and then we all did a shore dive. My husband and I only had a few logged dives and we thought Clive did an excellent job. Our friend also felt very comfortable with Clive and said he felt well trained and looked after. Also, Clive will pick you up at the pier. Just tell him your son is newly certified when you book, what sort of dives you want to do and he will accomodate you. If there are 3 of you, you could well be the only divers on the boat. I can't think why anyone thinks he isn't good for new divers, except he expects you to set up your own gear. He doesn't fuss over you like a dive mama, but he'll give you any help you ask for. We're going to go with him again in February.

If you have any other specific questions about Clive, I'll be happy to answer.

I can't remember where, but someone mentioned that Clive might not be good for inexperienced divers.
I think I said that. I based that on dive dives I did with Clive. I really enjoyed them because he didn't heard the group. He just kind of stayed back and let the divers explore on their own. I thought that some beginners might not feel comfortable with that style of dive. I'm sure if you told Clive your experience level he would be able to accommodate you. Be sure to let him know that you will be diving with your 13 y/o. As a junior diver, he should be doing shallow dives even with an instructor, not deeper than 60 ft at the most. I know that PADI only classifies kids 10-12 as junior divers and your son is 13 , but I think that the Junior diver level should be 10-16. Personally, I'd want my child to stay above 40 ft, but other parents need to decide for themselves what they will permit their child to dive.

In short, you should contact Clive, give an honest description of your abilities, and see what he thinks. You should be able to setup your own gear anyway.

I also did the Antilla with Pelican as an afternoon dive. I wasn't all that impressed. The visibility was about 30 ft. It is a nice shallow dive, perfect for a junior diver.

Archived