FLL-VALPO OR VALPO-FLL--Recent Cruisers

hmh

My husband and I are looking at the Oct. 18 HAL cruise from FLL to Valpo.

I am interested in getting recent suggestions for tours (private, I suppose) that cruisers have taken. I have read backwards from the last post on this Board up to page 60, but many posts are several years old and some of the suggested web sites for tour companies are no longer valid. Anyone who has done the Peru, Ecudor, and Chile ports of SA might have some information, I'm sure.

Any suggestions would be welcome. I posted this under the Valpariso Thread above, but it was suggested that I start a new thread.

This will be our 10th cruise on HAL--we've done the PC before, and the (occasionally mentioned on this board) the Orinoco River to Puerto Ordaz, which is no longer a HAL itinerary. hmh

I am interested in getting recent suggestions for tours (private, I suppose) that cruisers have taken. I have read backwards from the last post on this Board up to page 60, but many posts are several years old and some of the suggested web sites for tour companies are no longer valid. Anyone who has done the Peru, Ecudor, and Chile ports of SA might have some information, I'm sure.

Any suggestions would be welcome. I posted this under the Valpariso Thread above, but it was suggested that I start a new thread.

This will be our 10th cruise on HAL--we've done the PC before, and the (occasionally mentioned on this board) the Orinoco River to Puerto Ordaz, which is no longer a HAL itinerary. hmh

We did FLL to Valpo and loved the cruise, especially the Panama Canal, Lima and Chile.

Here is my review

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=94024

For private tours of Lima Monica is the place

www.monicatoursperu.com

For Cartagena go with Dora

www.cartagenatour.com

Both firms are highly rated on TripAdvisor.

We used Southexcursions for our tours at the end of the cruise in Chile/

www.southexcursions.com

Hi, sounds like a great trip! We just did BA to LAX so some of the same ports. I just posted a few suggestions on another thread in this forum in response to an inquiry about doing your own think in S America. We had the best experiences in Puerto Madryn Argentina with Sentir Patagonia, a wild-life focused tour in that area, and with Lima Cabs in Lima Peru. We also used Lima Mentor in Peru on our way to get to Buenos Aires and they were good as well. In both the Lima cases, we had basically a full day tour for 2 people in a private car with great guides, multiple museum admissions, etc. for about $200. I did post a few reviews on TripAdvisor for Pachacamac and Herrera Larco Museum as well as parts of downtown Lima if you want more details. Tours in other ports arranged by other Cruise Critic folks were all right but not outstanding so I won't mention names.

And like other people, I strongly suggest your Roll Call as a great resource and place to find people to share trips with. In addition to the tours I mention above, we found like-minded (i.e. slightly batty) people on the roll call to explore in a couple of ports like Ushuaia and the Falklands, shared a cab, walked, and had a great time.

Thank you for your suggestions. I will check out Trip Advisor, which I have found valuable on other cruises. I always watch the various Roll Call, because you never know when the perfect information will be posted. Infact, I have just read almost 50 pages of the SA Cruise Critic BB, and have come up with some facts. Unfortunately, most are pretty old and the links don't always work. That is why I started this thread. Will hope to hear from others. hmh

Archived