Car rental locations in Sydney NS

We were in Sydney just last week and got a rental car from Avis (which shares office space with Budget). It was a fantastic experience. The shuttle van was waiting at the Big Fiddle when we got off the ship; it took only minutes to get the paperwork and keys to the car as we are Avis Wizard members; and the shuttle was ready to take us back to the ship right after we turned in the car. Everything worked like clockwork and we had a fun day with our car. The cost was about $75 total for the car and gasoline--less than half of what our 2 dinner companions that night spent for the ship's excursion which covered less ground than we did.

You must be on the Veendam GradUT. We were on the Maasdam last week.

Yes, we did much better than the people on the excursion. HAL charges I believe $85 per person for the Coal Mine excursion. We paid $55 for the car rental, $15 gas (SUV) and $25 for the admission.

But after the Coal Mine, we stayed for 15 minutes after the tour to use their free wifi and then we drove to Fortress of Louisbourg. We didn't have time to go inside the Fortress but we enjoyed the scenic drive. We even made couple stops and turns for pictures (especially the fishing town of Louisbourg).

You don't have the flexibility with the ship's excursion.