Gatwick Express

Hi Folks:

Does anybody have experience in taking the Gatwick Express? Our hotel is near Victoria Station and so taking the Express seems to be a good idea. Although I am often troubled by anything that "Seemed to be a good idea".

Thanks

Blake of

Blake and Marla

Blamar

Nordic Prince 1982 Eastern Caribbean

Rotterdam 1988 Panama Canal

Noordam 1995 Southern Caribbean

Imagination 2001 New Orleans/Western Caribbean

Star Princess 2004 Venice/Grand Mediterranean

We leave for Venice

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;6;18;17;55;00&timezone=GMT-0800

We leave from Venice on the Star Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;6;21;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blamar:

Does anybody have experience in taking the Gatwick Express? Our hotel is near Victoria Station and so taking the Express seems to be a good idea. Although I am often troubled by anything that "Seemed to be a good idea".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I understand your caution; the Gatwick Express isn't for everyone. Actually, to let you into a secret, it's only a good idea if you happen to want to go to Gatwick airport - that's the only place it goes to from Victoria, and non-stop too. icon_smile.gif

Seriously, like any train you do have to be able to carry your luggage on and off the train, and at the Gatwick end either up an escalator or into and out of a lift (elevator). The luggage trolleys at the Gatwick end are only available after you get out of the lift at the upper level and have walked beyond the trolley barrier. If you really can't manage that, then a taxi or car may be the answer.

But if you can, there is frankly no better way of getting to Gatwick from the Victoria area.

We are planning to take the Gatwick Express next month. There is a great deal where 4 adults travel for the price of 2. The information is at Gatwickexpress.com if you are interested.

Thanks for the info.

I am always looking for loop-holes, could four adults for the price of two be interpreted as two return tickets for two people? Also do you think it is better to buy the tickets ahead of time here in N.America or get them when we get in from Barcelona?

Thanks

Blake of

Blake and Marla

Blamar

Nordic Prince 1982 Eastern Caribbean

Rotterdam 1988 Panama Canal

Noordam 1995 Southern Caribbean

Imagination 2001 New Orleans/Western Caribbean

Star Princess 2004 Venice/Grand Mediterranean

We leave for Venice

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;6;18;17;55;00&timezone=GMT-0800

We leave from Venice on the Star Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;6;21;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blamar:

I am always looking for loop-holes, could four adults for the price of two be interpreted as two return tickets for two people?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No. (Are you a lawyer? icon_smile.gif ) Full details on this page, from where you can jump to the rest of the Gatwick Express site for the normal fares.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blamar:

Also do you think it is better to buy the tickets ahead of time here in N.America or get them when we get in from Barcelona?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I would just buy them when you arrive at Gatwick. There's little advantage in trying to get normal tickets in advance, unless you happen to hit a particularly busy time at the station and have to queue for a few minutes.

It's different if they're doing specials that must be booked in advance but I don't see any of those at the moment.

If you really want to, you can buy tickets online from that site, and either collect them from the machines at the station or choose e-tickets - you can read all about that on the site. If you do qualify for the 4 for 2, see if you can buy those in advance at all.

Archived