Pearl OS or DOS to Alaska?

Sea Monster 2

Hi all, we're looking at an Alaska cruise this summer and have found both an owner's suite and a deluxe owner's suite available. We will probably be cruising with DS10. What do those of you who know these cabins recommend? We've been in Epic's DOS twice and love it, so we know the Haven ropes. Some specific questions:

• NCL's website says that the living room and bedroom are separate in the DOS, but I am pretty sure I've read that it's just one big room. Any confirmations?

• The viewing area looks like it would be amazing from the DOS, but is the deck too open to the elements? Will we be be able to enjoy it in Alaska?

• Does the usual deck noise and activity of warm-weather cruises happen during Alaska cruises, or are those more respectful of nature? Can you hear the noise inside the DOS?

• For those who prefer the OS, is the hike to the Haven a deterrent to using it?

• Is having the sheltered balcony of the OS a better option? Would we get a lot of use out of the front deck in the OS, or will it be too windy/rainy?

• It looks like in both of these cabins the LR is separated from the bedroom only by a curtain-- so privacy would be limited, but which one would be better if DS is with us?

Thanks in advance for all of your help! DH is going to contact NCL, but I told him I would probably get more accurate info faster on CC!! :D:D

Both of these suites would be great for AK. Even though you may not be able to use the more open deck of the DOS - the 90 degree panorama from the windows would be fantastic.

The OS has two balconies - both somewhat small, one forward facing and one along the side. You would have to get a good look at the outside of the Pearl to determine if these are hull balconies or not.

The DOS is one big room while the OS has a curtain between the living and bed rooms. It is also at the top of a flight of stairs if that makes a difference.

The weather in Alaska is unpredictable (see my review). It can be shorts weather and sunny, or it can be cold and rainy....or anything in between. We had lots of overcast and light rain on our trip. Not many people out on deck for any reason, but having a covered balcony let us spend a lot of time out there watching nature pass by. It was chilly enough for me to go buy a fleece jacket in the gift shop just for sitting on the balcony.

I would go with the OS, the front balcony is pretty big, plus you have the covered side balcony, should the weather not be great. The view from your bow balcony as you go through the Inside Passage would be phenominal. If you have brought the proper clothes, you should be able to use the bow balcony even if the weather is a little off. I know for a fact that there are 1 1/2 baths. I would recommend visiting www.cruisedeckplans.com. You will be able to see tons of cabin pictures there many in great detail.

We have just booked our 4th trip to Alaska, and we booked the OS on deck 10, book cabin 10004 (starboard side). When you are cruising northbound there are a lot of interesting things to see on the starboard side.

Hi all, we're looking at an Alaska cruise this summer and have found both an owner's suite and a deluxe owner's suite available. We will probably be cruising with DS10. What do those of you who know these cabins recommend? We've been in Epic's DOS twice and love it, so we know the Haven ropes. Some specific questions:

• NCL's website says that the living room and bedroom are separate in the DOS, but I am pretty sure I've read that it's just one big room. Any confirmations? Not so you would notice. It has a sheer curtain between the bed and the "living" area.

• The viewing area looks like it would be amazing from the DOS, but is the deck too open to the elements? Will we be be able to enjoy it in Alaska?There is no overhang at all with the DOS. There is a slight overhang on the OS front deck, and you have a side balcony that is completly covered.

• Does the usual deck noise and activity of warm-weather cruises happen during Alaska cruises, or are those more respectful of nature? Can you hear the noise inside the DOS? Yes, you can hear the band playing from inside the DOS.

• For those who prefer the OS, is the hike to the Haven a deterrent to using it? We did not find the walk a deterrent; we just find it hard to leave the sanctuary of our OS. It is a short walk which we are more likely to combine a trip to the Haven with a trip to Cagney's for breakfast or lunch. Also, the Haven has a treadmill and an eliptical.

• Is having the sheltered balcony of the OS a better option? Would we get a lot of use out of the front deck in the OS, or will it be too windy/rainy? Entirely depends on the weather. IMHO, the front balcony of the OS is no more windy than that of the DOS.

• It looks like in both of these cabins the LR is separated from the bedroom only by a curtain-- so privacy would be limited, but which one would be better if DS is with us? As I said before, the curtain between bed and LR in DOS is sheer, also the distance between bed and couch is about 8-10 feet. In OS, the curtain is heavy velvet which deadens sound and light, and the distance between bed and couch is at least 15-20 feet. The only problem could be that there is a window in the bathroom looking out on the side balcony which, unless you draw the curtain, can give quite a show! :eek: :o

Thanks in advance for all of your help! DH is going to contact NCL, but I told him I would probably get more accurate info faster on CC!! :D:D

Overall,

• we love the space in the OS,
  • don't want to walk up the stairs to the DOS every time we go "home",
  • prefer the configuration of the OS,
  • would rather have a view uncluttered by the pool and forward area of the ship

Enjoy your cruise!

OS all the way!

We sailed in 9504 on our Alaska cruise on the Pearl. It was AMAZING!!! Having the two balconies gave us a nearly 180 degree view of all of the fantastic scenery.

I would book the OS again in a heartbeat if we could afford it (we were lucky to have the upsell fairy call and get us into this great room).

Sounds like you already made your choice but I agree with many of the posters above-would go for the OS over the DOS for alaska and a child in tow. Particaulary because you will have that wonderful forward balcony and a covered side balcony.

I actually think the 2BR suites are the best of all worlds because of the separated space and proximity to the Haven. Have been in OS on Gem and used the Haven much less than when actually staying in the Haven. But I think that is more because we loved to OS so much....never wanted to leave it!

Have a fabulous cruise!

Coffeecat

Archived