Anyone ever taken Princess drift snorkel tour?

travelgirl913

Judith,

I don't know any outfit in Tahiti. Most of my drift snorkeling were in Nusa Tenggara, the islands east of Bali. We take a liveaboard ship for a ten-day trip. It is one of the greatest snorkeling and diving area in the world if not the best, so we go there as often as we can. Last year we did a private charter. We had a dive master to ourselves, and he took us to some hairy spots. But the dive master was with us and a support boat with crew was following us at all times, so I felt perfectly safe. If you love snorkeling, it's well worth the time it takes to get there.

But I can't imagine ship's excursion taking 20 people of different levels to a serious drift snorkeling. It must be just a gentle stream kind of thing. Another thing I question is that if coral there isn't damaged by now with all those people of different skill levels.

I checked my "Patter" from last year and the Children of Raiatea began performing at 5:15. However, you want to get back earlier to allow for a quick clean-up and time to get a good seat for the show. Bruno will accommodate your schedule.

Last year was the first time for us snorkeling in the coral gardens. It is truley amamzing -- like swimming in an aquarium. You will not be disappointed.

Judith,

I don't know any outfit in Tahiti. Most of my drift snorkeling were in Nusa Tenggara, the islands east of Bali. We take a liveaboard ship for a ten-day trip. It is one of the greatest snorkeling and diving area in the world if not the best, so we go there as often as we can. Last year we did a private charter. We had a dive master to ourselves, and he took us to some hairy spots. But the dive master was with us and a support boat with crew was following us at all times, so I felt perfectly safe. If you love snorkeling, it's well worth the time it takes to get there.

But I can't imagine ship's excursion taking 20 people of different levels to a serious drift snorkeling. It must be just a gentle stream kind of thing. Another thing I question is that if coral there isn't damaged by now with all those people of different skill levels.

I think you may be right becuase, I just read a post from someone who went on Bruno's tour (the one every one gets no direction and gets majorly cut on coral) --They said Bruno said it will not hurt the coral if you touch it. I know that is completley incorrect.

Thanks for your info on where you travel to. Sounds wonderful. Maybe one day...

It was probably my post that you are refering to. It was also my trip with Bruno that he himself talks about the worst accident recently. However, Bruno also said that the gentlemen was hurt from falling. Trust me, they were our tablemates and we had all met through cruisecritic (she still posts on here as nancycoop - she is on vacation right now or would probably post herself). Yes, he was "older", but he was very cut up from the coral. He already looked like he had been attacked by a shark when he fell walking back to do the run one more time with us. He is also the one that I talked about having to have intravenous anti-biotics for the rest of the cruise.

An above poster mentioned what was the worst of it all, being around inexperienced people who freaked out. Remembering now, I did receive one cut on my knee when I got stuck behind someone who was not moving and was panicked.

I am not trying to talk anyone out of doing this tour (with Bruno or Princess), it was the most AMAZING thing I have ever seen. Both Nancy and I posted about it when we returned just to inform others about what it was like. The other couple who did it, were not "older" by any means and were scared and the husband was hurt stepping on an urchin.

Once in the water, you are stuck. It took only seconds to figure out that I needed to be right behnd Bruno and I told DH to stay with us and do everything the same. I can't imagine doing this with 20 people, we only had six and it was difficult enough.

Tammy

Archived