April 27th leaving on the Gem! Catching a Yankees home game first.

Homecruiser

Only 2 working days to go!...heading down to NY a day early from Toronto. Going to visit Yankee Stadium on Friday Night! Our own little shore excursion. Managed to get some tickets to see the Yankees play the Blue Jays. Cannot think of a better way to start a vacation. I had to call Yankees directly to get some Wheelchair seats because we are travelling with my nephew with CP. Yankees were great and invited us to a special guided tour of the statues and exhibits...I think it is all in the stadium behind centre field. Looks like it is free to just go and wander...but the guided tour is usually a charge. Bonus!

Cannot wait. I am really feeling like I need this vacation! Never been on the Gem but hear it is a nice ship with a great staff.

We had a wonderful time on the Gem and loved sailing from New York. We had previously sailed out NYC on the Spirit before, but it was still impressive the second time around! I couldn't talk my wife into a Yankees or Mets game, but we did catch a Broadway show (Wicked) while we were there. We love New York and every time we've been there, we feel energized and excited.

The Gem is a nice ship, very modern, and bold. We thought it was incredibly clean and well-kept. Getting around the 6th and 7th decks is a little odd, but you'll get used to it quick enough. We went to Bermuda and were next to the Celebrity Summit the whole way there and back, which I thought was pretty cool. My favorite place while we were at sea was the sun deck on deck 14 - so quiet - windy, but quiet. I was usually the only one up there.

Have a grand time!

We are not renting a car in NY. We are actually flying into Newark and taking the Airport Express to Grand Central Terminal. We got a god deal at the Grand Hyatt just across the street. We will be taking the Subway which is about a 20 minute trip and under $3.00 each. All part of the adventure.

The Hyatt is actually on top of Grand Central a great hotel and location. Look at the Market in Grand Central great for some quick food, also Juniors chessecake is right in Grand Central and you can pick up some cheesecake. Make sure and browse the train staion it's amazing subway to Yankee stadium is right there have ablast. GO YANKEES!

By then I bet the weather in NY will be perfect and the sail away will be great. It will still be a little cool for our sail away but nothing so bad that hearty Canadians cannot handle. Heck if we can we will all be in shorts and sandles no matter what the weather! We sailed on the Spirit a few years ago over Christmas and New Years. It remains my favourite sail away ever!

What ever SUB you take make sure its the express one. Or it will take 4ever.And you most likely will be standing on the sub its gets very pack most of the time.After the game it can take you up 2 around a hour to get a sub back up town.GO to Stan's and get there BAR tee 4 a souvenir . The DUGOUT fun place to kill time after the game 2.

We will be taking a wheelchair with us on the subway..it says it is accessible. Is it a problem going during busy times? Or do New Yorkers stand aside for the disabled?

Sounds like we might have to make a,stop at one of those bars. This is a birthday treat for my nephew who turns 30 on the 27th. Two treats...the Yankees game and dinner at Cagneys first night.

We will be taking a wheelchair with us on the subway..it says it is accessible. Is it a problem going during busy times? Or do New Yorkers stand aside for the disabled?

Sounds like we might have to make a,stop at one of those bars. This is a birthday treat for my nephew who turns 30 on the 27th. Two treats...the Yankees game and dinner at Cagneys first night.

Personally I would take a cab if possible. The elevators are not gaurenteed to be working and you have to be sure to get off/on at the right exit or you could waking out of your way. And I have liven in NYC all my life and it is touch and go concerning politeness on the subway. Sometimes people get up for the disabled/elderly/pregnant, other times they push them aside trying to be the first ones out the door....

I agree get a cab to go to the stadium, the doormen at the Hyatt will make sure you get a wheelchair accessible cab, I would even ask the concierge for help before going down to the front door. Also make sure and give yourself plenty of time to get to the stadium. Traffic is insane going up to the stadium before a game. Better to be kinda early than deal wilth the craziness, plus it's Yankee Stadium tons to see and eat lol

MTA METRO NORTH round trip 16 from GRAND CENTRAL i dont know with the wheelchair its more of a walk but alot cleaner and faster look up a cab each way around $24.00 the subway get very pack most of the time to and from the game. the subway does have elevators but dont know if they work all the time . Yankees stadium guest service will take care of you. You will have lots of fun at the game. Just a head up its cheaper 4 a beer on the ship than at the game.

We are not renting a car in NY. We are actually flying into Newark and taking the Airport Express to Grand Central Terminal. We got a god deal at the Grand Hyatt just across the street. We will be taking the Subway which is about a 20 minute trip and under $3.00 each. All part of the adventure.

The subway fare is $2.50 each way. You need to buy a metrocard. Metrocards are sold in the train stations but starting March of this year there is now a $1.00 fee when you purchase a new metrocard from the station. Some local deli's or stores sell metrocards in the store. So check the stores around your hotel. That will save you the $1.00 surcharge have fun at the Yankee game. Weather in NYC will be in the 60's this weekend. Go Yankees!! :)

Just getting down to subway for a game will be crazy with a wheelchair. Most people will be nice but it's going to be packed. Take the cab for your own sanity lol. True be prepared to spend some money to eat and drink and shop at the stadium

Thanks for all the advice. My research was to take 4 Subway from Grand Central Terminal..making sure that it is an express. I did not really think about the trials and tribulations of rush hour. I have a couple of options including taxi. I guess I will make the call depending on how much time we have once we get settled into the hotel. Thanks again!

EAT before you go and take hand sanitizer. I would not eat any food from the stadium you dont want to get sick the night before the cruise. I go 2 a lot of games stay way from the greasy food and the draft beer. Been going 2 the stadium 4 over 20 years now.

Probably the best advise I have heard all night. However, there is a pretty good chance it will be ignored. My 19 year old daughter calls one of the Jays her future husband! Not sure I will be able to talk anyone out of wearing their game gear! Lol:) Just crazy fans willing to suffer the wrath of a Stadium full of Yankee fans! I do not imagine we will be silent fans either. Promise to make sure security is nearby at all times. After all we have a cruise to catch the next day.

Archived