10 years in the making - First Cruise on Allure Eastern 4-14-13

Just finished reading your review and enjoyed your writing style. Thanks for sharing. I have only sailed on Celebrity S-class ships and reading all I can about the Allure to see if it's a good fit for my wife and I.

Thanks for the kind words. I seriously looked at a Celebrity option before we settled on Allure. Our group ranged in age from late 30's to mid 70's so we had a wide spectrum of ages to please. For us the Allure fit the bill with all the varied activities. After reading some more about Celebrity I think I made the right decision just based on activities.

I know there are some who say they don't like Allure/Oasis for various reasons but I can't imagine not finding a way to enjoy those ships. Again, I have no comparison data, but the ship is just fantastic.

Thanks for the great review, Randy!

I'm interested in hearing more about how Viber worked for you, as I've never heard of it. You could text and make phone calls using your regular ol' iPhone on the ship? Did you do this in lieu of renting the phones from Royal Caribbean?

I can weigh in on viber. We've been using it this week to communicate from Britain to Maine. It's works surprisingly well for voice- but it all depends on the quality of the Internet connection. Occasionally the sound drops out for a moment and sounds oddly like its " vibrating". Wonder if this has anything to do with the name??:confused:;)

I think you can get an unlimited devices, unlimited time package of Internet. It's gotta be pricey, maybe cheaper than renting those (unreliable) dect phones but if you did that I think you could easily text so long as the other person was in range of wifi. I think the newer ships are well covered stem to stern, the older ones not so much!

ETA - and thanks Randy for suggesting it to us...I hadn't heard of it till we cruised with you!

Edited by Familygoboston

I can weigh in on viber. We've been using it this week to communicate from Britain to Maine. It's works surprisingly well for voice- but it all depends on the quality of the Internet connection. Occasionally the sound drops out for a moment and sounds oddly like its " vibrating". Wonder if this has anything to do with the name??:confused:;)

I think you can get an unlimited devices, unlimited time package of Internet. It's gotta be pricey, maybe cheaper than renting those (unreliable) dect phones but if you did that I think you could easily text so long as the other person was in range of wifi. I think the newer ships are well covered stem to stern, the older ones not so much!

ETA - and thanks Randy for suggesting it to us...I hadn't heard of it till we cruised with you!

Thanks to you and Randy both for the info about Viber. I enjoyed your review very much as well :-)

We had dect phones a couple of times, and found them to be very reliable. However, they are a big bulky...kinda like an old Nokia "candy bar" type phone. These are the ones they gave us at Adventure Ocean.

I have yet to have a Royal Connect phone (or whatever they are called now...the ones that are iPhones). I have heard mixed reviews about reliability. But we really need to have some kind of solution, as I'm not comfortable leaving my 5 year old at AO or with a babysitter, and their not having a way to contact us if there's a problem. I'm sure we will figure it out. Thanks!

Thanks! I am glad you are enjoying it. And it's nice to see that people are still reading it several months after it was finished.

We actually hope to cruise again in 2015. But I doubt it would be Quantum, if DW gets to the NY area, she won't leave!

The other option would be to go on a Southern Caribbean trip. A certain woman from the Boston area is trying to get us to go on that route!

I missed this the first time! So you are actually considering it? :D Would be so fun!

OR we could all do Quantum, you could stay here in Boston, less distracting and our rental rates are very reasonable!

Edited by Familygoboston

Might I say your review was very entertaining and enlightening. Very well done and I might also say when I looked at your picture I was very shocked as you look so much like my late brother Karl and your personality is somewhat like his was but he liked his beer. I really enjoyed your review and we are thinking of cruising on it sometime next year. Thanks again;)

Might I say your review was very entertaining and enlightening. Very well done and I might also say when I looked at your picture I was very shocked as you look so much like my late brother Karl and your personality is somewhat like his was but he liked his beer. I really enjoyed your review and we are thinking of cruising on it sometime next year. Thanks again;)

Ok, that is the first time in a very long time that someone has said to me "You look like..." Without it being followed by "Bruce Willis".

Lol. Thanks for your comments. And Go Sail Allure!

Amazing review, thanks for taking the time to write it. The spreadsheet with the MDR is fantastic! My DH rolled his eyes, I'm the planner lol

We are also taking our very first cruise and it will be on Allure and booked an excursion with Captain Bob.

Amazing review, thanks for taking the time to write it. The spreadsheet with the MDR is fantastic! My DH rolled his eyes, I'm the planner lol

We are also taking our very first cruise and it will be on Allure and booked an excursion with Captain Bob.

I never really showed the menu spreadsheet to DW until we were on the plane headed to Ft. Lauderdale. And even at that point I didn't really "explain" where it came from or that I spent an enormous amount of time working on it!

When we got on the plane and took off, she turned to me and said, "Ok, what are we doing on this cruise?" She had heard me talk about so many things that she just couldn't keep it all straight. That's when I pulled out the other spreadsheet with all our activities on it and then the menu sheet.

And PLEASE come back here or write your own review of Capt. Bob's trip! I really need to know how it was for you. Still sad I had to miss that one!

I never really showed the menu spreadsheet to DW until we were on the plane headed to Ft. Lauderdale. And even at that point I didn't really "explain" where it came from or that I spent an enormous amount of time working on it!

When we got on the plane and took off, she turned to me and said, "Ok, what are we doing on this cruise?" She had heard me talk about so many things that she just couldn't keep it all straight. That's when I pulled out the other spreadsheet with all our activities on it and then the menu sheet.

And PLEASE come back here or write your own review of Capt. Bob's trip! I really need to know how it was for you. Still sad I had to miss that one!

I will come back with my report! I am so sad for you and it has reminded me to keep an open mind, after all, we will be on vacation!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
I started to read this review and I'm hooked and now I have to spend a few days reading it, thank you and keep on cruising:cool:

Hope you enjoyed it! I assume you've made it to the end by now.

Our group of 15 will be on board the Allure next June! We can't wait! Thanks for your review... It was awesome! I'll have to show the 80's music references to my hubby ... He's a drummer in an 80's band (firefighting pays the bills) ... He will get a kick out of it! :D

Our group of 15 will be on board the Allure next June! We can't wait! Thanks for your review... It was awesome! I'll have to show the 80's music references to my hubby ... He's a drummer in an 80's band (firefighting pays the bills) ... He will get a kick out of it! :D

Thanks! A group of 15 - 20 is what we hope to do for our next cruise!

Remember, I'm an 80s music snob, so I have all the new wave and alternative bands!

Thanks! A group of 15 - 20 is what we hope to do for our next cruise!

Remember, I'm an 80s music snob, so I have all the new wave and alternative bands!

Join us on the Quantum on 23 Jan 2015 and drag that group along.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 4 months later...

Thanks! Good to know that people are still reading it.

My wife posted on FB the other day that if she could retire right now (pipe dream) that she would just get on a cruise ship and go. This from the woman who wouldn't go on a cruise for a decade. Lol.

Enjoy your trip next week!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD