Dress code etc.

LIV 2 CRUISE

Re Carry on cases : over here there are certainly size restrictions for this type of baggage. They may be taken from you on entering the plane and stored which may not be what you expect. You can also expect glares and dirty looks from other passengers- we`ve often seen North Americans with huge carry on roller cases and other cases looped on to them being surprised to receive such a hostile reception from fellow passengers. These huge carry ons can only be accomodated by crushing other people`s more modest cabin baggage hence crew often removing them. If you have free suitcase allowance why not just use it?

Lest I be branded a North American overhead bin-hog, let me say my wheeled carryon is just a medium sized backpack w/ hidden wheels, containing a pair of shoes/socks/unmentionables and meds inside along w/ a jacket, granola bars, a theft-resistant waist pack and an iPad. Normally I just wear it, but it converts to wheels which was good when I was rehabbing a shoulder injury.

My pet peeve is people who DO lug those enormous wheeled suitcases onboard and then leave it up to the FAs to try to fit them into the bins. And none of these is going to make it onto a regional jet in Europe. Fortunately all of the size and weight limits can be researched online ahead of time, for each carrier on which you are ticketed.

Re the duck eggs, the funniest 'carryon incident' we've seen was on a flight from New England when someone's live Maine lobsters made a break for it.

Travelbugm, I am with you. I like to dress up, and the staff appreciate it. On our arctic cruise on silversea explorer, I can't count the number of times one of the wait staff complemented me. I have this snake dress. They particularly liked it!

Are men allowed to wear shorts at dinner on Viking river cruises. I'm talking about long knee length walking shorts. I seen yes and no. Also can women wear shorts and sleeveless tops to visit churches in Germany, Austria, Hungary? I've heard no for Italy but yes for France. These shorts would be of an appropriate length and tops would be appropriate also not some kind of tummy baring low cut kind. We are travelling in the dead of summer so I imagine it will be very hot. Any info would be appreciated? Thanks

Out of respect for the churches that I visit, I would never wear shorts. Capris yes and I always carry a scarf that can double as a shawl to cover bare arms as needed.

Love the practice in Istanbul's Blue Mosque where they give out coverups.

Archived